Where Is It?

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)
Chip
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Where Is It?

Unread post by Chip »

railrod1949 wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 8:47 am
Chip wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 7:44 pm
W. Jefferson ave. in Riverview. Spur leading into Materials Processing inc. they really haven't used rail much in the almost 30 years I've lived in the area, I've literally only seen something crossing there one time in my lifetime. They had a second crossing slightly north of there that was removed not too long ago. Signals still in place but the lights have been covered and the cross bucks removed despite the rails being ripped from the road.
In addition the spur line to the Materials Processing was off the connection with the ex DT&I main line, it crosses West Jefferson Avenue about a mile north of Sibley Road in Riverview.
I don't believe that connection was ever severed. As far as I know it's still active, it just hasn't been used in a very long time.

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ConrailDetr​oit »

Correct

M.D.Bentley
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by M.D.Bentley »

Chip wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 12:29 pm
railrod1949 wrote:
Chip wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 7:44 pm
W. Jefferson ave. in Riverview. Spur leading into Materials Processing inc. they really haven't used rail much in the almost 30 years I've lived in the area, I've literally only seen something crossing there one time in my lifetime. They had a second crossing slightly north of there that was removed not too long ago. Signals still in place but the lights have been covered and the cross bucks removed despite the rails being ripped from the road.
In addition the spur line to the Materials Processing was off the connection with the ex DT&I main line, it crosses West Jefferson Avenue about a mile north of Sibley Road in Riverview.
I don't believe that connection was ever severed. As far as I know it's still active, it just hasn't been used in a very long time.
These are tracks #1 & #2, tk #3 was the one that was removed ( crossing was removed because it sucked, the other 2 also suck, with plans to reinstall when the need arises). This was the former Firestone plant. MPI is now just a customer here . W.F.Whelan now owns the facility. As for switching the plant , both Conrail and the CN serve the plant. The CN about 6 months ago & Conrail early 2020. The DT&I track mentioned, was the Mclouth steel plant lead and not the main.

M.D.Bentley
Railroadfan...fan

ConrailDetr​oit wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 1:08 pm
ImageU by tcamp7837, on Flickr
Late to the party. this was part of the Quarry lead . Served by both the DT&I and PC and still has active customers. At one time the Delray Connecting would run trains from Zug island to the Sibley Quarry to get limestone for steel making. I (CR) delivered flat cars loaded with steel beams for the Fort street bridge project to E.C. Korneffel , the contracto who did the work.

Chip
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Chip »

M.D.Bentley wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 9:11 pm
Chip wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 12:29 pm
railrod1949 wrote:

These are tracks #1 & #2, tk #3 was the one that was removed ( crossing was removed because it sucked, the other 2 also suck, with plans to reinstall when the need arises). This was the former Firestone plant. MPI is now just a customer here . W.F.Whelan now owns the facility. As for switching the plant , both Conrail and the CN serve the plant. The CN about 6 months ago & Conrail early 2020. The DT&I track mentioned, was the Mclouth steel plant lead and not the main.
What does MPI even do? I hardly ever see people coming in and out of there and the last time I saw anything come in via rail was a couple of boxcars about 20 years ago.

M.D.Bentley
Railroadfan...fan

MPI - is a tenant now, that offers a variety of services. Blasting , painting, storage. A couple of years back, we were switching them 4 days a week ( 6 to 8 cars a switch, door #1 ) and the CN would switch door #2 over night.

Chip
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Chip »

How often do they get switched these days? I want to get photographic evidence that something has traveled over that crossing.

M.D.Bentley
Railroadfan...fan

Chip wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 7:49 pm
How often do they get switched these days? I want to get photographic evidence that something has traveled over that crossing.
Not much. They are a warehouse after all. Only get rail service when needed.

Michael
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Michael »

Not Michigan but I think there are enough clues to figure out the location and it's geographic significance.

railrod1949
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by railrod1949 »

Michael wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 12:02 pm
Not Michigan but I think there are enough clues to figure out the location and it's geographic significance.
Somewhere in Indiana or Ohio. On a main line railroad? Or in Illinois? More hints please?

Michael
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Michael »

Looks like a picked a dud location; I figured someone would noticed the distinct border monument

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

Michael wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 10:50 am
Looks like a picked a dud location; I figured someone would noticed the distinct border monument
Noticing it and realizing that it's a border monument are 2 different things. However, I've noticed that sometimes the people to whom something is immediately obvious don't see the image for a couple days- it's happened a couple times to me, but each time enough hints had been given for Rodney to come up with the location well before I made it back to the thread to see the post. I'd give it another several hours before giving any substantial hints, especially with the holiday weekend.
~ Charles W.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

More hints please
Michael wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 10:50 am
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

James Sofonia
Grand Traverse Dinner Train 1996

Unread post by James Sofonia »

Might be Marionette Wisconsin at the Menominee Mi. State line.

Michael
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Michael »

I'm talking GLR's advice and keeping the hints minimal. One word, NORTH

railrod1949
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by railrod1949 »

Michael wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 1:45 pm
I'm talking GLR's advice and keeping the hints minimal. One word, NORTH
Ontario, Canada

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Estcourt Maine, northern most point in Maine.

At first thinking Minnesota, then thought Maine. Pulled up the map, and somehow found this about 20 seconds after loading the Google map app. It felt like I tapped into Google's "I'm feeling lucky" button.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

Michael
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Michael »

Nailed it

James Sofonia
Grand Traverse Dinner Train 1996

Unread post by James Sofonia »

~Z~ wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 3:13 pm
Estcourt Maine, northern most point in Maine.

At first thinking Minnesota, then thought Maine. Pulled up the map, and somehow found this about 20 seconds after loading the Google map app. It felt like I tapped into Google's "I'm feeling lucky" button.
Luck it is to find such an obscure location in 20 sec. Nice challenge, and nice find.

blueheron13
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by blueheron13 »

I haven't posted one of these in a long time. Let's try this one:
ImageP5131144 by Brian Mohr, on Flickr
Amateur railfan trying to become a real railfan since 2017.