Convert Sq. Ft. to Tons (Flake & Particle Board)

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)
J T
Hates Supper

Re: Convert Sq. Ft. to Tons (Flake & Particle Board)

Unread post by J T »

hoborich wrote: Not to mention how they destroy the forest roads with their heavy equipment. Notice the dual wheel tracks in the soft sand.
Forest roads destroyed? Dual wheel tracks in the sand?? Oh, the humanity!

Build another one.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

2015-05-21 / News

Print article Print
RCRC rescinds logging policy in effort to maintain roads
By Krista Tacey-Cater
krista.tacey@houghtonlakeresorter.com
Since the release of the frost laws, Roscommon County Road Commission Manager Tim O’Rourke said that some logging companies operating in the county are not following the RCRC’s logging policy, which in turn is ruining some logging routes.

During a May 14 meeting, O’Rourke said that the policy passed in March, 2014, worked with the logging companies and now some are taking advantage of it.

“I think we gave them a responsible set of rules,” O’Rourke said.

The 2014 policy required that loggers submit a special logging operation permit application and the appropriate fee with a map. The map had to show the location of the logging site, any access points to the site and proposed hauling routes. There is a permitting period from approximately April 15 to Nov. 15 for the spring and summer and another from Nov. 15 to March 1 for the winter period.

At the end of the hauling season, the hauler must meet with the RCRC to verify that the roads used are in their original, or better, condition than when the hauler started using them.

In the event of damage, the policy states that the hauler would have to stop hauling and notify the RCRC of rutting or blow outs that “exceed the standard of impassable to a standard motor vehicle.” The hauler would be responsible for maintaining the roadway in a safe condition. In the event of needed repairs, the hauler would have to provide or deliver the needed materials needed and the RCCR would provide grading services.

Any needed repairs would have to be made in a “timely manner or per specification” and be completed by the RCRC and billed to the hauler. Under the policy, the RCRC would consider requests for use of the local paved systems as a potential haul route on a case by case basis. If approved, there would be a required minimum cash bond or irrevocable letter of credit required in the sum of $25,000 per mile.

With roads being ruined due to excessive hauling and heavier loads, the RCRC board rescinded its March, 2014, logging policy. The motion revokes all prior logging permits and requires lighter loads to protect the county’s roads. With the RCRC rescinding its former logging policy, O’Rourke said the RCRC would follow the state logging laws.

O’Rourke said he understands that by rescinding the former policy it will hurt some logging companies who are following the rules. He said all companies no matter their size must follow the rules and understand that the quality of the roads must be maintained.

The board then approved the last OPEB (other post employment benefits) buyout payment installment in the amount of $124,000 for the 2016-17 employees.
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Saturnalia wrote:

Nice propaganda. Michigan does a world-class job at managing our forests. Tourism in the UP is NOT taking a "big hit" at all. The DNR strategically logs state-owned land, which actually helps the forest.
That's because both the OSB plant at Grayling and the soon to be open "Worlds Largest Particle Board plant at Gaylord are both in the lower penninsula. And it is unlawful to move wood from the upper to the lower penninsulas and vice versa, to prevent the spread of several tree diseases. So........both of those plants are and will be drawing their lumber from the surrounding area of the lower penninsula, starting with the nearest forests to the Grayling area and working outward, to save hauling costs! :P

It must be nice to know everything there is to know about everything at the age of 18. You go up to da UP to school a few months ago, and already you are an expert on all things UP, tourism, logging, forest management?

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Unread post by SousaKerry »

wow how did this post go from theoretical car counts to Sierra Club tree hugging nonsense so fast...

BTW while your riding your trail bike on those moonscape roads make sure to clean up every drop of oil and gasoline you drop, and bottle all your exhaust gasses so you can properly dispose of them later in an environmentally friendly way. Oh and make sure to invest in those zero gee tires so you don't crush any endangered soil bacteria with your tires.
What smells like lube oil and diesel.... Oh wait it's just my "Locomotive Breath"

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

SousaKerry wrote:Oh and make sure to invest in those zero gee tires so you don't crush any endangered soil bacteria with your tires.
#AmoebaLivesMatter
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

I don't lose any oil or gas. And I'm not a tree hugger or Sierra clubber. The photos pretty much speak for themselves. And all the local and county officials are in agreement that the logging is excessive. No one is against logging. But it is out of control in the northern lower penninsula. And the worst is yet to come. Everything is for sale in this state!
Nestle wants to increase the pumping rate of their 2000 foot deep well to 400 gallons per minute around the clock. That's over half a million gallons a day! This will lower the water table for miles around, and many wells are going to go dry. They even admit that it will effect several streams and rivers nearby. The DNR was ready to approve the permit, until the media got wind of it just a few days before the comment period was to expire. I'm not a dem, or tree hugger, but this rethug governor is selling off the entire state to the highest bidder.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... -residents

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

hoborich wrote:I don't lose any oil or gas. And I'm not a tree hugger or Sierra clubber. The photos pretty much speak for themselves. And all the local and county officials are in agreement that the logging is excessive. No one is against logging. But it is out of control in the northern lower penninsula. And the worst is yet to come.
Yeah, because it's not like logging hadn't cleared a bunch of land 100-200 years ago already in this state (only to be replaced by <gasp!> more trees).

You do know that trees are a renewable resource, right? They have been renewing themselves for millions of years and will continue to do so long after we are gone.
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Yeah, because it's not like logging hadn't cleared a bunch of land 100-200 years ago already in this state (only to be replaced by <gasp!> more trees).
I do know trees are a renewable resource. But I and most other people don't have 100 to 200 years left!

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

hoborich wrote:
I do know trees are a renewable resource. But I and most other people don't have 100 to 200 years left!
The trees are here for the life of this earth, not yours.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Bump
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Garry K
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Garry K »

Yes, forests are a renewable resource. If a lumber company "clear cuts" a forest, they will replant seedlings so the company can harvest a future crop of trees. I also always like to mention to folks that think we shouldn't cut down trees that they shouldn't live in a house or an apartment that was built of wood!

I have vacationed a LOT in the Upper Peninsula, particularly in the Keweenaw. If you look at old pictures from when the copper mines were going in the 1800s, it is sometimes hard to see any trees. The trees were all cut down to build houses for the workers and to shore up the mine shafts. But if you visit some of those same spots today, there are so many trees that you sometimes can hardly find the old stone foundations from mine buildings.

Garry K

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I'd appreciate someone double checking my math. ARAUCO North America announced plans to build a new particleboard mill located in Grayling, Michigan, to produce 424 million ft2 (750,000m3) on 3/4" basis: 452 million ft2 / 32 (4x8) x (60.8x1.5) lbs. (taken from below charts) / 2000 = 646,218.75 tons per year.

Thickness (4’x8’) Actual Weight
1/4” 22 lbs
3/8” 28.5 lbs
1/2” 40.6 lbs
5/8” 48 lbs
3/4” 60.8 lbs
1-1/8” 84.5 lbs

Plywood Type: Weight per Sheet (1/2”) Percentage(compared to Softwood)
Softwood Plywood 40.6 lbs 100%
Hardwood Plywood 45 lbs 111%
Marine Plywood 50 lbs 123%
Particle Board 61 lbs 150%
MDF 66.7 lbs 164%
MDO 37.5 lbs 92%
OSB 47 lbs 116%
ApplePly 35 lbs 86%
Baltic Birch 48 lbs 118%

Estimating the resin is tricky for me: 424 million ft2 (3/4" basis) / 32 (4x8) x .58 gal. (.20 gal-.25 gal for 23.5 lbs. so 60.8 lbs. is 2.59 more so .225 x 2.59 = .58 gal) = 7,685,000 gal. per year.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

AARR wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:10 pm
I'd appreciate someone double checking my math. ARAUCO North America announced plans to build a new particleboard mill located in Grayling, Michigan, to produce 424 million ft2 (750,000m3) on 3/4" basis: 452 million ft2 / 32 (4x8) x (60.8x1.5) lbs. (taken from below charts) / 2000 = 646,218.75 tons per year.
I did not check your calculations but you seem to be in the ballpark.

These types of estimates are difficult. Particleboard is made in many different densities from around 37 to over 50 lbs per square foot. Resin additions are also variable depending on the board type. Wax is also added which impacts board density. As you noted, the wood furnish (type of tree/ wood used) also affects densities as does panel moisture content.

The specific recipe for a panel is proprietary and a trade secret. Unless you know the recipe and how much of what type of panel is produced, the correct answer will elude you.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Garry K wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:13 pm
Yes, forests are a renewable resource. If a lumber company "clear cuts" a forest, they will replant seedlings so the company can harvest a future crop of trees. I also always like to mention to folks that think we shouldn't cut down trees that they shouldn't live in a house or an apartment that was built of wood!

I have vacationed a LOT in the Upper Peninsula, particularly in the Keweenaw. If you look at old pictures from when the copper mines were going in the 1800s, it is sometimes hard to see any trees. The trees were all cut down to build houses for the workers and to shore up the mine shafts. But if you visit some of those same spots today, there are so many trees that you sometimes can hardly find the old stone foundations from mine buildings.
But..but...all those workers were dead long before the trees grew back and they were never able to appreciate them! /s
Last edited by J T on Thu Feb 09, 2023 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Standard Railfan wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 8:17 am
I did not check your calculations but you seem to be in the ballpark.
Thank you, Standard Railfan.