Railroadfan.com Zoom meeting 4/23/20 7:30pm

Questions and updates for http://www.railroadfan.com are posted here. If anyone has suggestions, either post here or email me at zack@railroadfan.com.
~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Railroadfan.com Zoom meeting 4/23/20 7:30pm

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Since most of us are at home and not out with fellow railfans as often as we'd like to be, I setup a Zoom meeting for Thursday 4/23 at 7:30pm EDT. Join in, chat about trains or whatever you'd like to talk about. Use the meeting ID and password below to log in, starting at 7:30pm Thurs. Believe it's limited to a 40 minute session. If possible, get your webcam on a laptop, or use your smart phone to connect in. Try to keep yourself on mute unless you are speaking to keep up the audio quality for others. Hope to see a few of you Thurs night! Interested? Reply below if you're planning to stop in. Feel free to use your railroadfan.com username as your name in the chat.

Topic: Railroadfan.com 4/23/20 7:30pm
Time: Apr 23, 2020 07:30 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada)

Join Zoom Meeting
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

Boxcar54
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Railroadfan.com Zoom meeting 4/23/20 7:30pm

Unread post by Boxcar54 »

Thanks, I am going to try. We may or may not be videoing with the grandkids, but I will try to connect with you guyz.

kd_1014
Mike

Unread post by kd_1014 »

I will be joining

trnwatcher
My name ain't Steven

Unread post by trnwatcher »

Well that was fun! Thanks Z!
Steven F. Shick
http://www.youtube.com/user/trnwatcher
http://www.trnwatcher.net

I.T. guy/Railfan
"The true railfan has two favorite railroads....the Baltimore & Ohio and another one." - Charles S. Roberts

Steamlogger
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Steamlogger »

Yes Thanks Z. I had to run out and go for a walk with my wife and kids. We try to get out if the weather is not too bad. Went for a 0.9 mile walk around the block.

SW
Rail Trail Explorer

Unread post by SW »

Yeah, that was fun! Good to see you all, and thanks, ~Z~!
Owosso Steve

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Thanks much for everyone who attended; was good to catchup and hear from some new faces. If anyone else wants to host a meeting some other week, feel free to do so and shoot out an invite; I'll do my best to attend.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

I'm thinking on hosting one on Tuesdays at 7 or 8 pm - our usual Tippy Cow / Culver's time, until such time as we can do those things again.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

Jetlink
Not a Railfan

Unread post by Jetlink »

I would be interested in joining if life allows.
interested in trains

Patiently waiting for LansingRailfan to antagonize me in his tagline

Jochs
Iron Horse Whisperer

Unread post by Jochs »

Jetlink wrote:I would be interested in joining if life allows.
You're too late...it was a couple of days ago. I just read this and thought it would be interesting to join, until I realized it was now the 25th and this meeting happened on the 23rd. Maybe there can be another one.
Jeff O.
Celebrating 11 years dial-up free!

(18:36:45) MagnumForce: Railfanning is way more fun when you stop caring about locomotives and signals
(19:11:29) cbehr91: I can't believe I'm +1ing Brent but +1

Jetlink
Not a Railfan

Unread post by Jetlink »

Jochs wrote:
Jetlink wrote:I would be interested in joining if life allows.
You're too late...it was a couple of days ago. I just read this and thought it would be interesting to join, until I realized it was now the 25th and this meeting happened on the 23rd. Maybe there can be another one.
I meant if MQT3001/Saturnalia hosted a meeting in the future I would be interested in joining.

Missed the original as well, Jochs. Didn't see the notice until about 2 hours after it took place. Wouldn't have mattered as I was working at the time anyway.
interested in trains

Patiently waiting for LansingRailfan to antagonize me in his tagline

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Okedokee we'll do another one tonight!

What: Socially Distant Railfan Chat
When: 28 April 2020 at 20:00 ET

[link removed as meeting is over]

Be there or be a boomer, 'cause you won't be a zoomer! :lol:
Last edited by Saturnalia on Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Garry K
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Garry K »

Folks, you should NOT post the ID or password to any online conferences, ESPECIALLY not for Zoom conferences! There are a lot of miscreants on the Internet who are searching for those conferences, and who will then log in and disrupt things by posting all sorts of objectionable material. It's called "Zoom Bombing." Here is one article about that topic at https://techcrunch.com/2020/03/17/zoombombing/. You can find many more such articles online. If you want to invite people from railroadfan.com to attend such meetings, post an announcement about the video meeting, but have them send you a PM (personal message) to obtain the session ID and password. And DON'T give out the password to anyone who has just created an account!

I spent many years working in computer networking, including computer and network security. And since I'm an old hockey player, what I would like to do with those miscreants to punish them for their misdeeds, would be to tie them spread-eagled fashion to an ice hockey goal. They would have a little bit of slack in their restraints to give them an opportunity to evade what will be coming at them. And then I would stand out at the blue line and start shooting hockey pucks at them. I would take some nice and easy shots at first, just to get their confidence up that they would be able to keep dodging the shots. But then I'd up the velocity on the shots and they wouldn't be able to avoid getting hit by the pucks. Oh, did I forget to mention that they wouldn't get to wear any protective equipment? And did I further forget to mention that the entire episode would be recorded, to put online so other such miscreants could watch!? What fun!

Garry K

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Garry K wrote:Folks, you should NOT post the ID or password to any online conferences, ESPECIALLY not for Zoom conferences! There are a lot of miscreants on the Internet who are searching for those conferences, and who will then log in and disrupt things by posting all sorts of objectionable material. It's called "Zoom Bombing." Here is one article about that topic at https://techcrunch.com/2020/03/17/zoombombing/. You can find many more such articles online. If you want to invite people from railroadfan.com to attend such meetings, post an announcement about the video meeting, but have them send you a PM (personal message) to obtain the session ID and password. And DON'T give out the password to anyone who has just created an account!
I'm aware of the trend and Zoom is super full of security holes, as we're learning, but I'm not too worried about it for out little meeting here...

rob
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by rob »

Saturnalia wrote:Okedokee we'll do another one tonight!

What: Socially Distant Railfan Chat
When: 28 April 2020 at 20:00 ET

[link removed as meeting is over]

Be there or be a boomer, 'cause you won't be a zoomer! :lol:
next time you should start a new post so more people can see it and join in.

rob.