Unwanted Pop Ups

Questions and updates for http://www.railroadfan.com are posted here. If anyone has suggestions, either post here or email me at zack@railroadfan.com.
MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unwanted Pop Ups

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Anyone been experiencing these weight loss articles pop up when they open a thread? I have these past few hours and I never have before.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

Mr. Tops
Ferroequinologist

Re: Unwanted Pop Ups

Unread post by Mr. Tops »

Yes, just happened to me twice.

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

Yay it's not just me :lol: I've been getting all night. Even on my iPhone which I found a little weird. Just glad I wasn't the only one
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

What browser are you using? GP30M4216 alerted me to it just a little bit ago as well. Reading on the intertubes that it might have something to do with the google ads on the site. Hearing that just the past week or so that a lot of sites are running into this issue.
I'm investigating. Not seeing the ads myself on my phone, IE, firefox, or chrome, but I'll see what I can fix.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

I've turned off Google Ads on the forum for now. Can anyone tell me if they are still getting these constant redirects on the thread pages?
Also, can someone browse the photo gallery or the wiki pages and see if you are getting redirects there? Have the ads still turned on there and just curious if the same issue happens there.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

~Z~ wrote:I've turned off Google Ads on the forum for now. Can anyone tell me if they are still getting these constant redirects on the thread pages?
Also, can someone browse the photo gallery or the wiki pages and see if you are getting redirects there? Have the ads still turned on there and just curious if the same issue happens there.
It was through Google but so far since I've been on here I haven't ran into any ads. Last night it was immediately. Sometimes when I would go back I would get redirected to a second article but so far so good.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

I had no issues. iPhone 5 with Safari, but not the latest OS.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

I've never had a single pop-up on this site using my computer, nor on my droid or iphone. I'm using ABP with Firefox which does a pretty good job of killing most pop-ups.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

J T wrote:I've never had a single pop-up on this site using my computer, nor on my droid or iphone. I'm using ABP with Firefox which does a pretty good job of killing most pop-ups.
If you were using Firefox you shouldn't have got any pop-ups. If you used Google like I always do, then you would've got pop ups. Whatever the admin did is working because I have not seen another pop up since.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

MQT1223 wrote: If you were using Firefox you shouldn't have got any pop-ups.
Right, because I'm using ABP. I don't get pop-ups on ANY website because of ABP.

If you're using Google Chrome, then you should be using ABP.
Adblock Plus (ABP) is an open-source[6][7] content-filtering and ad blocking extension for Mozilla Firefox (including Firefox for mobile[8]), Google Chrome, Internet Explorer, Opera, and Safari web browsers. In November 2012, Adblock Plus was also released as an app for Android devices. ABP, a forked version of an earlier, discontinued extension called Adblock, allows users to prevent page elements, such as advertisements, from being downloaded and displayed.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

Jetlink
Not a Railfan

Unread post by Jetlink »

The ads were popping up on Firefox too. As a courtesy to Z I have ABP turned off for RRfan. I make sure to click on the ads at the bottom whenever something even remotely interests me. Even if I don't always visit the page it opens right away.

After the pop ups started coming uncontrollably I did turn the ad block on. That stopped the pop ups right away. Now that the site is back to normal I have once again disabled the ad blocker for RRFan.

Thanks for keeping the site up and running well for us Z.
interested in trains

Patiently waiting for LansingRailfan to antagonize me in his tagline

cbehr91
Chairman of the Bored

Unread post by cbehr91 »

It's 2015. Use Firefox with AdBlock Plus (works with Chrome too I'd told).