Riding Amtrak's Silver Meteor - 12/23/2005 - Now with pics!

Give us a run down of what you saw, post pictures if you'd like...any info is welcome.
RailCanon
BANHAMMERED

Riding Amtrak's Silver Meteor - 12/23/2005 - Now with pics!

Unread post by RailCanon »

My family's Florida vacation plans called for riding Amtrak train #97, The Silver Meteor, from Kissimmee to West Palm Beach, FL. All of Amtrak's Silver Service trains were running very late yesterday due to weather problems up the line. #97 arrived in Kissimmee at about 3:30 PM, two hours late, behind AMTK 200 (Which I will refer to as AMTK 200:2). We were supposed to arrive in W. Palm Beach at 7:30 PM (2.5 hours behind), but just FIVE Minutes out of the station, we stopped. There is a commuter railroad down here, called Tri-Rail, that runs between Miami and West Palm....Well, one of their trains hit a Tresspasser near the West Palm station, and killed him. We had to sit in the same spot for FOUR HOURS while CSI, the Police/Medics, and the Coroners office investigated the incident with Tri-rail. It took a lot longer than expected because the remains of the person who got hit were imbedded into the Tri-rail locomotive :oops: :oops: :oops: (Close as I can get to a Vomiting icon). During this time, Amtrak train #91, the Silver Star, which was even more behind schedule, pulled up right behind us. About 30 minutes before we finally got into the station, they hooked up #91 to the rear of our train, so they could get both trains into Miami at the same time, and cut time more. We got into W. Palm at Midnight....Over six hours behind.

I'll add more details later.
Last edited by RailCanon on Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

RailCanon
BANHAMMERED

MORE DETAILS

I read in the localWest Palm Post this morning that the incident with Tri-rail was a suicide attempt. The person who was killed was suffering from severe health problems. My mother used to be a nurse, and she says that they always got lots of Suicide/Depression cases around the holidays, and she was not surprised about this event.

By the way, I want to add that this trip was my first ride on a long distance passenger train with Sleeper and Dining car service, and this was the very first time I've ever gotten to eat a meal in a dining car. This trip, for those reasons, is probably the highlight of my year.

BB
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by BB »

Hey Gregg I saw two Amtrak's heading north out of Miami while heading south on I-95 on 12/20/05. Here's a video of one with engine 22. (Trying out that site Mr. Tops uses) http://www.dailymotion.com/BB/video/19022 Also seen two Tri-Rail commuter trains.

I was in Florida from Dec. 20th to the 21st.
MQT Rail pictures at [url=http://bbarch_railfan.rrpicturearchives.net/default.aspx]RRPictureArchives.NET[/url]
Brandon

RailCanon
BANHAMMERED

Where did you stay in Florida BB? A lot of my friends from school also went down to Florida.

Anyway, here are the pictures I took during this part of the trip. CLICK ON THUMBNAILS FOR FULL SIZE:
Kissimmee Station:
My favorite train picture of the trip. The Silver Meteor roars in with Amtrak P42 #200:
Interior view of the dining car: AMTK 8504:
Two views out the rear car as the train passes through Avon Park, Florida:

I hope this allows you to see my trip aboard the Meteor.