Solid 5 train/3 hour outing - Bloomfield Hills, Michigan 1/30/24

Give us a run down of what you saw, post pictures if you'd like...any info is welcome.
David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

Solid 5 train/3 hour outing - Bloomfield Hills, Michigan 1/30/24

Unread post by David Collins »

https://youtu.be/IEr-K1Hj-s8?si=PWvLz0JFCPObzFtM

0:00:

I arrived at Opdyke to a clear signal on Track #1 going north, I had already missed Antrak 355, but I was quite befuddled by this. What could be coming north that was not working Pontiac? Turns out it was CN E251, the daily Flat Rock-Chicago manifest. I should note real quick I had my airpods in, and the horn got REALLY loud. So pleaaaase turn your volume down. I don’t want to be sued. Big train that evening, according to RRFan user LansingRailfan, the train was mainly empty autoracks and a big train in general. A CN SD75i and CN SD70M-2 for power on this train

4:08:

CN L513 makes it’s normal Tuesday evening appearance heading south with 4 tank cars that I believe were bound for Sterling Oil. A solo Long-Hood-Forward SD60 leading this one, I’m sensing an all EMD theme tonight :lol:

4:56:

Not sure if anyone noticed the clear signal on track 2, but it was for CN L507, the daily Flat Rock-Flint haul with stops at Moterm in Ferndale and Pontiac. Except we’re gonna cross Pontiac off that day as he went straight through. Only 4 centerbeams then the intermodal section. The K5LLA horn on the lead SD70M-2 was something I call loud ‘n awesome. Another pair of EMD’s, the aforementioned SD70M-2 leading and a thundercab SD70M-2 trailing.

7:50:

Amtrak 352 makes his normal evening disruption in Bloomfield Hills. A pal of mine was the engineer and he did his little two-part tap before each blast (minus the short) that he does for Opdyke, as he knows I’m almost always out there :lol: . The leader on 352 was the only non-EMD locomotive I saw, a Siemens SC44 charger as always.

8:32: L513 comes back north from Sterling Oil with 4 tank cars as well, they almost looked like the same cars he went south with, but I couldn’t make out the reporting marks.

That’s all for now, stay tuned for future reports!
Ferris State University’s Train Guy

Youtube: Michigan Railfan Films

Flickr: David R. Collins

SC: daveeed1k

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: Solid 5 train/3 hour outing - Bloomfield Hills, Michigan 1/30/24

Unread post by AARR »

Nice video David. Thank you for posting and writing information about each train.

By my count there were only four trains. I wouldn’t count the Amtrak as a real train 😉 .
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...