Surprise G788 at Trowbridge.

Give us a run down of what you saw, post pictures if you'd like...any info is welcome.
amessmann
Signal Maintainer

Surprise G788 at Trowbridge.

Unread post by amessmann »

Despite going to bed at a reasonable time, I found myself awake during the witching hour again. Checking the CSX Locations page, I had wondered whether L303-15 had passed yet after their very late start time. Seeing they had no work for Lansing this morning, I decided I should make my way south if I wanted to catch them. Starting off I decided to check the signals at Trowbridge, where behind T.B. Simon one can see both the EE and WE signals. As I turned onto Recycling Dr. I could see safety striping.

I pulled up to Storage Rd. thinking L304 had moved a cut into the siding at Trowbridge only to be greeted by grain cars as far as I could see in either direction. I had not recalled seeing them when passing under the track at Farm Ln. around 22:00 Wednesday night. I could not see power on the head end but I could hear leaking air hoses. EE Trowbridge was displaying a clear aspect for L303, who was approaching Ensel at that time. Shining my brights on the trucks, I couldn't tell if the cars were loaded or empty.

I drove further down Service Rd. where I noticed there was indeed power on the west end. As I got out to get footage I saw the crew moving around in the cab. The displays in the locomotive were clearly visible and there was just enough lighting to pick up road numbers on video, 5424 and 3308. I drove to the station to check signals on CN, all reds, ATCS was bone-dry too. While outside the car, I could hear distant train horns.

Crossing Harrison Rd. I could see L303 in the distance. At this time, dispatch reached out to L304-15. Dispatch wanted to know if they would assist, who I then learned was G788, in "contacting the switch tender" upon arrival. Among other chatter, L304 advised "he [the tender] knows to show up on Monday and Wednesday nights because we have Grand Ledge." I had wondered if this meant to expect grain trains on Monday or Wednesday but I now realize this was in reference to when L304 works the elevator.

By this time, L303-15 had made its way to the diamond, calling a clear pair for Trowbridge. I pulled up to the Harrison Rd. crossing and watched 9006 and 5339 pull their 23 cars past the head end of G788. Towards the end of their train lots of squealing was heard, like a flange on a curve, very loud. Their tail end cleared the crossing at 02:38. G788, with their lights on affirmed that their EOT was lit. G788 then dimmed their lights and L303 returned "marker lit on that grain train".

Pulling around, G788's lights turned back on and the conductor called "...west, siding to the main, medium clear WE Trowbridge, G788-13 out." 5424 and 3308 could be heard notching up as they slowly brought their 90 empties up to speed. Per the timetable, Trowbridge siding has a maximum speed of 25mph compared to the 10mph typical on the subdivision. G788-13 had no problem getting right up to speed with their empty train. Their tail end cleared the crossing at 02:44. After driving south, making a u-turn, and driving back north, I could see the tail end converge back onto the main track.

By the time I returned home their calls were barely audible, I think they were nearing Ensel by then. It hardly matters as I have to take the antenna off my car to fit in the parking garage.