Incident at MP 222 on the Flint Sub - 09/13/2023

Give us a run down of what you saw, post pictures if you'd like...any info is welcome.
amessmann
Signal Maintainer

Incident at MP 222 on the Flint Sub - 09/13/2023

Unread post by amessmann »

I would've posted this in this month's locations thread however, forgetting my post was still in the editing phase, I shut down my computer, deleting the post. I will attempt to retell the story here as it is rather interesting. A more recent practice of mine is to carry my laptop with me, with ATCS loaded up, using my phone as a hotspot. It is impressive how little data ATCS uses, as determined by my phone not heating up at all. I also use the Broadcastify feed of the area, as my portable radio is surprisingly bad at picking up anything but the call for MP 225.

On the night of September 12th, I watched as M302 passed the MP 205 camera. Looking at ATCS, I observed a westbound headed their way, in Durand at the time. It looked like a meet was set for Okemos, at that time it was unclear who would hold M2, however I (correctly) guessed M302.
Prioritizing the collection of road numbers, I headed to the East Lansing Amtrak station, knowing this was the only place with good enough lighting to guarantee a clear shot. Upon arrival, I walked to the tracks and looked west. No headlights were cresting the hill at Cedar, but a walk to my car and back was all it took for the head end of M302 to come over the hill. Looking through my binoculars it was clear that M302 was moving, however upon passing me they must've only been doing 5mph. Their GE engines hard at work in an attempt to accelerate. 3912 and 3830 led with 2907 mid-train. 594 axles, 144 4-axle cars.

As the head end passed me at 00:09, M302 called dispatch to report (what ended up being 4) trespassers on M1 at MP 222.3. After a one sided conversation, I only being able to hear dispatch asking about them, it was time to inform the westbound. I will refer to this westbound as Extra (X) 123 from now on, more on that later. Once again, a one sided conversation was heard with X123, dispatch not only informing them of the trespassers' presence, but mentioning M302 experienced possible gunfire upon passing them. "At milepost 222.3, look out for four individuals near the rail, possibly walking on the tracks, and 302 said they heard some gunfire that might have gone off over there" - "...you'll see 302 there on main 2, maybe they can give you some more information." The tail end of M302 cleared the platform at 00:17.

At this time, X123 had a "Clear to Limited" (yellow over flashing green) aspect on the westbound M1 signal at Trowbridge Diamond, this in preparation to diverge back to M2 at Cedar. Dispatch had called X123 now, telling them to hold short of that location, "don't go by there, hold short...I'll let you know when it's safe." I could hear X123 blowing the horn at Okemos Rd. Led by CN 2905 per the radio. Not realizing how close I was (whether because I was sick, tired, or both) I looked west, down the tracks through my binoculars, not seeing anyone, but observing the operation of the signals beyond Trowbridge. At Cedar, there looked to be a flashing green reflecting on the tracks. Upon return to my car, it appeared that Z148 had lined at Potterville.

I returned to the platform and watched the westbound M1 signal at Cedar drop from a flashing green aspect to a flashing yellow aspect (unknown which position), the signal at Trowbridge remaining the same. I looked down the tracks again, watching the signal drop to a "Stop" indication, and in the time it took to pull the binoculars from my face, the M1 signal at Trowbridge dropped to a "Clear to Stop" (yellow over red, an approach really). There I waited, realizing that if nothing else, 2905 and 2907 would be in the same location at the same time.

After about half an hour with nothing on the radio, I was starting to get bored. I decided to cross the tracks at Bouge St. (this specifically being MP 225.0) as I knew X123 had passed Okemos. As I crossed the tracks, at, 00:53, dispatch gave X123 permission to proceed. "Signal indication, that area's been cleared." I could see lit number boards. I looped around at the MSU Horticulture Gardens and was greeted with headlights and ditchlights in the distance. Back to the station it was, with a restored "Clear to Limited" aspect.

At 00:58, X123 rounded the curve, with 2905 and 2941 leading intermodal and autorack traffic, clearing the platform at 01:02. Upon passing that location, X123 called dispatch, but the call was stepped on by the detector at MP 205.2, Z148 was passing that location with 480 axles. "Four of them, ok" was all that could be clearly heard through that static, unclear whether X123 was asking about them or reporting them. At 01:10, X123 passed the detector at 219.5 with 348 axles, articulated cars in the mix. They had taken M1 at Mill again and were not lined past Potterville despite Z148 being well clear of the switch. At the same time, L304 reported that they were ready to head west from Ensel.

Z148, by this time, had made it to the MP 219 detector. Five minutes later came the report, 480 axles and going 28mph. I could see their headlights from the station platform. L304 too had made it past the detector, MP 104 reporting 20 axles. At 01:40 Z148 crossed the platform, 8890 and 2535 leading intermodal and autoracks too, which again I'm told is relatively new. There was a single Southern Pacific rack towards the end, I actually see a lot of these, I am unsure how rare they are. Six minutes later Z148 had cleared the platform, set to meet a westbound in Shaftsburg.

While waiting for this eastbound, I watched X123 move back and forth between Potterville and Cory Yard. This is when I learned their symbol, hearing "extra 123" on the radio. I was unsure but after asking around (at the time of writing this) I am told that X123 is a train we see on occasion, more commonly than Q123 who's counterpart is Q122. I could barely make out coordination between them and another crew. They eventually finished their work and departed, passing the DD at 205.2 at 02:20 with 486 axles, over 100 more than when they had passed me.

I had watched the switches moving, first at E Shaftsburg for the westbound to take M1, and then W Shaftsburg once Z148 had cleared. That is all that seems to work on ATCS in that area now. At this point I was ready to head home. At Hagadorn Rd. I watched the block signal switch to "Clear" indicating the westbound was nearby, and 10 minutes after that, back at the station, at 02:42 came the eastbound, who's symbol I never did figure out. 3013 and 2273, manifest traffic in tow. Nothing after that except for a local, moving from Cory to Snow Yard, I did not wait for them.

In retrospect I would've moved after the reports of gunfire, but being sick this week, and already being up late after a long day of classes, I did not bother to check and fully realize the mileposts that were listed on the screen next to me. I was thinking MP 222 was west of Cedar or something. By the time I realized how close I was, the possible danger had well passed. I thought it was cool that 2907 and 2905 had passed by each other, from what I understand M302 comes from far west of us making it quite the coincidence.

I intend on uploading the footage when I next import from my phone, I will link that video here eventually.
Thank you for the read, be safe out there.

Dan Cluley
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Incident at MP 222 on the Flint Sub - 09/13/2023

Unread post by Dan Cluley »

I don't remember exactly where the mileposts are, but I would guess that the trespassers were in the area near the old coal tower.

amessmann
Signal Maintainer

Re: Incident at MP 222 on the Flint Sub - 09/13/2023

Unread post by amessmann »

Dan Cluley wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2023 11:58 pm
I don't remember exactly where the mileposts are, but I would guess that the trespassers were in the area near the old coal tower.
I would assume so as well. According to Google Earth, the coal tower sits 1.02 miles from the diamond at Trowbridge, 223.5 - 222.3 works out to 1.2 miles. When measuring from the diamond, exactly 1.2 miles west sits the N Aurelius Rd. overpass. The tracks are easily accessible from S Clemens Ave. which is slightly further west.