Dexter today

Give us a run down of what you saw, post pictures if you'd like...any info is welcome.
chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Dexter today

Unread post by chapmaja »

Today was a busy afternoon in Dexter (busier than I recall in a long time).

I was sitting at the Dexter Library (nice view of the tracks from upstairs BTW), when I heard the horn sounding for the crossings on the east side of town. Got to the window in time to record a video of 519 and 518 running westbound with a load of Amtrak Ballast hoppers. This was at 4:09 pm

Less than 30 minutes later I witnessed (but couldn't get my phone to record), an NS manifest train heading EB with a variety of cars including tanks and loaded grain. On the tail end were approximately 15 Amtrak gondola's which had been carrying ties.

Just over 30 minutes later, as I was walking to my car I got a glimpse of Amtrak running a ballast train (likely the same one if they are working near Chelsea on the main or siding), back EB. Since it is hard to hear EB's coming into Dexter, this one caught me by surprise. I don't remember the last time just over an hour had 3 trains through Dexter (and none had a passenger car on it).