Railfanning Plymouth, Michigan on 5/2/22

Give us a run down of what you saw, post pictures if you'd like...any info is welcome.
David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

Railfanning Plymouth, Michigan on 5/2/22

Unread post by David Collins »

Quick disclaimer: I did speak to a CSX employee about drone usage, he said drones are allowed, but he thinks the reason why most people don't fly them there is because it's pretty close quarters with powerlines, signals, buildings, etc.

This was a VERY good day, I had the day off on 5/2/22, therefore me and my friend took advantage of it. We tried Wyandotte but that failed miserably. We decided to go to Plymouth and we did not regret it! We saw 4 trains, only one had GE power (which was L302 with two AC44's, and that's still pretty good in my opinion).

The real highlight of the day was catching a train that's been on my bucket list for awhile, W001. W001 is one of two Track Geometry Trains that CSX operates (W001 runs with CSX engine 6025 and W003 runs with CSX 9969). Although it didn't have the 9969 (which has evaded me more times than I'm willing to admit), it was still cool to see it.

I also happened to run into RRFan member Michael which was pretty cool!
Attachments
An Ex SCL GP38-2 and a SD40-2 pull into Plymouth with L315 in tow, seeing a double header on this train is sortof rare from what I've heard!
An Ex SCL GP38-2 and a SD40-2 pull into Plymouth with L315 in tow, seeing a double header on this train is sortof rare from what I've heard!
CSX L311 (running light) turns south onto the Toledo (?) wye in Plymouth.
CSX L311 (running light) turns south onto the Toledo (?) wye in Plymouth.
CSX W001 heading through Plymouth with one more car than usual.
CSX W001 heading through Plymouth with one more car than usual.

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Re: Railfanning Plymouth, Michigan on 5/2/22

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

Hey David, what a good day for you and standard cab EMD’s at Plymouth! One great thing about PLY is the amount of local traffic in addition to through freights. You had some good catches! One suggestion might be to head a bit more away from over the top of the rails for some of your shots, avoiding all those power lines you mentioned of which I know there are many. Your pic of W001 is neat and provides a great landscape context but seeing the side of those passenger cars might be cool too. 😎

KVERBERK
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Railfanning Plymouth, Michigan on 5/2/22

Unread post by KVERBERK »

Nice report David! I don't get there much anymore but Plymouth is my favorite place to railfan. Thanks for posting.
Up North TSBY/GLC Fan