3 TRAINS IN 15 MINUTES!! Railfanning Elkhart, Indiana on 4/1/21!

Give us a run down of what you saw, post pictures if you'd like...any info is welcome.
David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

3 TRAINS IN 15 MINUTES!! Railfanning Elkhart, Indiana on 4/1/21!

Unread post by David Collins »

Some more lost footage from the midwest trip last year. On that day (4/1/21) My dad and I started making our way home from the Chicago area, and we decided to make a quick fuel stop in Elkhart, Indiana. We happened to also catch 3 trains, in 15 minutes! and just by luck, I caught a railroad that's been on my bucket list for years, the Grand Elk Railroad, sure, it's just another watco short line, but they use some truly diverse power!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUSn23RdnKk
Ferris State University’s Train Guy

Youtube: Michigan Railfan Films

Flickr: David R. Collins

SC: daveeed1k

Michael
Railroadfan...fan

Re: 3 TRAINS IN 15 MINUTES!! Railfanning Elkhart, Indiana on 4/1/21!

Unread post by Michael »

David, You've got a great Dad to be willing to drive all over God's creation to support your hobbies and interest like that.

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

Nicely done! Why stop for fuel in EKH when you can stop for trains!? I’m still not used to seeing trains hustle through there so fast thanks to the increased speeds on the realigned curve. At least the platform is wide and offers unobstructed views. 😀

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

GP30M4216 wrote:
Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:23 pm
At least the platform is wide and offers unobstructed views. 😀
Well, sorta. The fence on the east end kinda nukes some great angles. I'm thankful I got some shots there before they added the fence.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

Dan Cluley
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Dan Cluley »

Saturnalia wrote:
Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:40 pm
GP30M4216 wrote:
Well, sorta. The fence on the east end kinda nukes some great angles. I'm thankful I got some shots there before they added the fence.
You just need a taller tripod. :P I actually didn't find it that hard to shoot through the fence when I was there last fall. The difficulty I have with Elkhart is that you are looking into the sun so much of the day. Solution, use a drone & shoot from the other side of the tracks. :)

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

Saturnalia wrote:
Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:40 pm
GP30M4216 wrote:
I was worried about that east platform fence too, and the placement of the relay and generator equipment, but it’s not as bad as I thought. I got a Canon DSLR lens to work just fine through the fence (GDLK pic). I’m surprised no enterprising rail fans have wire snipped a few links out of the fence, but it’s not as close to the tracks as I thought. I do love the Conrail Blue CP 421 sign and think it’s a nice photo prop. With a longer lens you can also snap a photo around the edge of the fence and move well behind the fence by the time the train passes you by (Amtrak pic).
C133DE7E-8E43-410B-ADE2-2B79E72A11E1.jpeg
1A5A6768-0871-4D59-845A-543716EBC524.png
What I actually meant by uncluttered was in comparison to a new platform like in Dearborn, where the concrete doesn’t seem as wide and itself is full of signage on pylons. That platform is frustrating.

As for the lighting, yeah, winter is hard. During longer days eastbound is in the morning and west bounds starting in mid afternoon photograph well. The sweeping curve shot is my favorite. The drone route solves the problem, as does an easy admission payment to the NYC museum, which can afford some creative alternate opportunities.

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Is neat seeing 3 trains in 15 mins at Elkhart. What's even better? 3 trains at the same time at Elkhart:

Saw that during our 2010 message board meet, seen from the lift the museum let us use.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com