A quick stop at the CSAO Sterling Yard

Give us a run down of what you saw, post pictures if you'd like...any info is welcome.
David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

A quick stop at the CSAO Sterling Yard

Unread post by David Collins »

After visiting Great Lakes Train & Hobby (my recent purchases will be in the Model Railroading section soon), my dad and I ran over to the CSAO sterling yard, of course as we were pulling up, the lone GP38-2 working stalantis was about to go south, unfortunately we couldn’t chase him.

So I got some photos at a cool spot, on a hill, just outside of the yard of the NS 5287, an Ex Conrail GP38-2 just as they were about to make their move south. The crew was very nice, they waved, flashed their headlights, I did eventually pump my fist and got a hornshow since I know the 5287 has a VERY nice K5LA horn on it.

Even though it’s just a GP38-2, it’s an engine that’s on its home rails which I always consider to be a good catch.
Attachments
FDAC4BEC-7CC9-4CCD-96C8-AA731AEA5524.jpeg
57E7B089-B816-441A-A678-062FD731E44D.jpeg
5EF67A8D-F6C3-47FB-81F0-DF6BB0C19809.jpeg
Ferris State University’s Train Guy

Youtube: Michigan Railfan Films

Flickr: David R. Collins

SC: daveeed1k

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: A quick stop at the CSAO Sterling Yard

Unread post by AARR »

Nice pictures David.

Used to be several jobs on day shift 10-15 short years ago to handle lots of automotive parts both in and out bound.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ConrailDetr​oit »

Very recently at Sterling, there is / was the WS-20 Job on duty at 5am, Monday thru Friday to service the customers north of the yard; Frame Unloading, Ford Transmission, Ford Axle, Shuert, transfer cars to North Yard if needed, then switch the Chrysler Docks. Word was Shuert would usually be switched on Wednesdays.

When Chrysler was busier and caused too much work for 20, the WS-16, (1pm) and switched the Chrysler Docks exclusively. A 2nd local engine at Sterling parked on the docks spur was necessary due to the time overlap of having an engine available for two jobs working at the same time.

The WS-34 (4pm) would switch Chrysler Stamping, Scrap, Docks if needed, and anything that did not get done by 20.

Don't know if there is currently a night job at Sterling.

David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

Unread post by David Collins »

ConrailDetr​oit wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 1:03 pm
Very recently at Sterling, there is / was the WS-20 Job on duty at 5am, Monday thru Friday to service the customers north of the yard; Frame Unloading, Ford Transmission, Ford Axle, Shuert, transfer cars to North Yard if needed, then switch the Chrysler Docks. Word was Shuert would usually be switched on Wednesdays.
It was probably WS-20 since it was just finishing its work at Stalantis when I pulled in
Ferris State University’s Train Guy

Youtube: Michigan Railfan Films

Flickr: David R. Collins

SC: daveeed1k

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ConrailDetr​oit »

David Collins wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 1:23 pm
ConrailDetr​oit wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 1:03 pm
Very recently at Sterling, there is / was the WS-20 Job on duty at 5am, Monday thru Friday
It was probably WS-20 since it was just finishing its work at Stalantis when I pulled in
Today is Saturday. Would be a relief job.