A Classic Detroit Outing 1/1/22

Give us a run down of what you saw, post pictures if you'd like...any info is welcome.
Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

A Classic Detroit Outing 1/1/22

Unread post by Ypsi »

On New Years Day I found myself roaming the Motor City with a good friend, and we had ourselves a classic Railfanning Outing in the metro Detroit area. To me fanning Detroit is one of two things, you sit at Delray Junction or Milwaukee Junction, or you are mobile. On this day we decided to be mobile, and it paid off.

I started my day seeing Amtrak 350 at CP Lou on Conrail. After meeting my friend we then continued the afternoon finding LTEX 310 in Rougemere yard waiting for its next ride.

ImageF40PH Roster shot but it’s 2022 by Michigan Central Lines, on Flickr

We would then scoot over to Ecourse Junction where we snuck a shot of CP 141 entering Oakwood Yard.
IMG_9858.jpg
After that it was over to Delray where we spotted a SB CN manifest, and then CSX X511 coming through Delray as a rerouted train heading for the Lincoln Secondary
IMG_9864.JPG
We would then Head over to Northline Road to grab the X511 again, but we were distracted momentarily by CN L571 heading north. We would race ahead to Champaign road where the EG&E 656 was leading the train towards OJ.

ImageEJ&E 656 on the DT&I by Michigan Central Lines, on Flickr

Returning to Northline road we would grab X511 again as they split the 4 way intersection and cleared Penn-Ford Junction.

ImageCSX X511 Northline Road by Michigan Central Lines, on Flickr

And that would bid an end to a classic afternoon in the Motor City. Not only was it decently busy for us, but it also had some nice power along the way.
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: A Classic Detroit Outing 1/1/22

Unread post by AARR »

Thank you for posting, Ypsi. Looks like you beat the snow :) .
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

KVERBERK
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by KVERBERK »

Nice report thanks for sharing! I spent my afternoon sitting at KPTK waiting for the freezing drizzle to stop and wondering what trains where running in the area haha.
Up North TSBY/GLC Fan

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ConrailDetr​oit »

Curious as to how and why X511 went by Delray versus straight to the Forman Wye from Rougemere.

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Unread post by DaveO »

ConrailDetr​oit wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 10:56 am
Curious as to how and why X511 went by Delray versus straight to the Forman Wye from Rougemere.
I wonder if they shoved out of Rougemere to Delray to maintain proper car blocking order??