Little River Christmas Train 12/13/20

Give us a run down of what you saw, post pictures if you'd like...any info is welcome.
SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Little River Christmas Train 12/13/20

Unread post by SD80MAC »

This past weekend, I decided to head down to Coldwater to see the Little River Railroad’s Christmas train. The Little River Railroad is a tourist line that operates excursion trains out of Coldwater on the Indiana Northeastern Railroad’s tracks.
They have two operating steam locomotives, #110 and #1. #110 is a 4-6-2 (four leading wheels, six driving wheels and two trailing wheels) “Pacific” type, built in 1911 by the Baldwin Locomotive Works. Next year will mark its 110th birthday. Interestingly, it is the smallest 4-6-2 ever built for North America and originally worked on a logging railroad. #1 is an 0-4-0 Tank Engine that was built in 1908. The trains ran with #110 pulling the train east, and #1 pulling it back west. Below are my pictures. They put on a great show for such small engines!

#110 simmers in Coldwater as people board the train for the 11 am trip.

Tank Engine #1 gets a drink from the water spout located just west of the depot in Coldwater.

The engineer oils the running gear on #110 while passengers board the train. Something tells me the soldiers aren’t original factory equipment. I believe the brown structure was some kind of freight house.

#1 is coupled onto the rear of the train at the depot. The depot is an original LS&MS structure.

Doing their best impressions of New York Central Hudsons on a detouring 20th City Limited, #110 and #1 storm out of town with their exhausts echoing through the cold morning air.

The train passes under I-69 in Coldwater.

The train is seen here passing over the Sauk River just outside of Coldwater. In a moment the train will stop and reverse back to the depot.

Little #1 leads the train back west through Coldwater with its stubby little driving wheels and rods looking as though they were flying! The observation car behind #1 was once owned by the Tuscola & Saginaw Bay.

These photos were linked from Facebook, I apologize for the quality and if they disappear eventually.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: Little River Christmas Train 12/13/20

Unread post by AARR »

Thanks for posting the great pictures and interesting report
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...