Catching a train, at the airport...?

Give us a run down of what you saw, post pictures if you'd like...any info is welcome.
David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

Catching a train, at the airport...?

Unread post by David Collins »

While I was planespotting at the corner of Wayne Road and the I-94 service drive with my new camera, which is right next to the NS Wabash Line, I heard the sound of a K5HL horn!

I don't even understand how I did hear it given the fact I had the sound of two CFM56 engines from an arriving Delta 737 and the sound of cars going by! :lol:

I then got in the yukon, and made my way down the service drive attempting to find a railroad crossing or somewhere to pull off. I ended up driving roughly a mile where I found a crossing, and to my surprise, the train was still relatively far down the tracks.

I then noticed the headlight on the train coming was not a high headlight, which immediately meant that the leader was not an NS unit. Two trains of thought then formed in my head, either it was whatever CP 140 is now, or maybe a foreign leader on NS 176. I did zoom in on the leader and saw the distinct dark red color of a weathered CP GEVO, which meant it was the former option.

This was interesting because normally (if I remember correctly), this train has to be at the tunnel in detroit by a certain time in order for customs to inspect the train.

Leading the 140 or whatever it's called now was an old ES44AC, a filthy AC4400CW, and the highlight of the train, a CP GP40-2! this unit however was in standard CP colors, so no dual flag livery on this one, oh well :( .

It was quite a long train with lots of covered hoppers, and a CSX ET44AH serving as a mid train DPU.

That was my last catch of the day, in terms of aviation and railfanning I'd say it was a successful day, and also a successful test run of my new camera!
Attachments
IMG_0773.jpg
IMG_0781.jpg

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Re: Catching a train, at the airport...?

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

Nice catch! That first pic looks an awful lot like the prairies of Canada….not the prairie of Romulus, lol.

Michael
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Michael »

What you need to do is catch a plane AND a train in the same photo. It think JT posted a good one a few years back.
It's easy work if the train is not moving and you are in the right spot :wink:

David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

Unread post by David Collins »

Michael wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:38 am
What you need to do is catch a plane AND a train in the same photo. It think JT posted a good one a few years back.
It's easy work if the train is not moving and you are in the right spot :wink:
There was a Delta A330Neo that flew over the train while it was still roughly 100 yards out, I also don't have my new zoom lens yet, so I couldn't get that :(