Meeting 28 axles with a baggage car!

Give us a run down of what you saw, post pictures if you'd like...any info is welcome.
David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

Meeting 28 axles with a baggage car!

Unread post by David Collins »

Today (9/24/21) Amtrak 355 had a baggage car to meet the 28 axle limit on CN, I thought I got a good photo of it, Whaddya guys think?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/184885804 ... ed-public/
Ferris State University’s Train Guy

Youtube: Michigan Railfan Films

Flickr: David R. Collins

SC: daveeed1k

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Re: Meeting 28 axles with a baggage car!

Unread post by DaveO »

Let's do some math :D
1 engine with 4 axles.
1 food service car with 4 axles.
3 coach cars with 4 axles each.
1 baggage car with 4 axles.

Added together that equals 24 axles which is what CN is requiring on the Wolverines.

CN is requiring 30 axles on the Bluewater.
Doing the math there is way more complicated and I get lost. :wink:

trainjunkie47
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by trainjunkie47 »

Can someone explain for me why CN cares if the train is shorter than X number of axles?

Dan Cluley
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Dan Cluley »

trainjunkie47 wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:12 pm
Can someone explain for me why CN cares if the train is shorter than X number of axles?
I believe there was an incident at a grade crossing where a short train didn't activate the crossing protection properly.

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Unread post by DaveO »

The problem is supposed to be related to Amtrak using disc brakes.
The junk build up on the wheel treads doesn't get removed by braking which would occur if tread brakes were used.

I don't remember for sure but I think CN was/is using a flange oiler at Charlotte, correction welcomed.

I've also seen some say it's because Amtrak is using a different wheel profile.

This incident happened in Charlotte and was fatal(mom and daughter IIRC).
There were also incidents in Illinois around the same time.
I couldn't find the FRA report online, maybe somebody else can.

Buster Manning
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Buster Manning »

Ummm.....Amtrak uses both disc brakes and wheel tread brakes on their passenger cars...

Yes, there is a flange oiler in Charlotte....just to the west of the crossing that had that accident....one could theorize about the "crud" on the rail head being a contributing factor with that accident....we were told afterwards that there had been a coal train that came thru right before we did, spreading coal dust on the rail (yes, I was on the crew that day) and that the DS's were "losing" us on the CTC system....and that's when we were told to do the running brake test every 10 miles AND approach all grade crossings with electronic warning devises prepared to stop until we could verify that said crossing protection was working before entering the crossing...(that was not a good time to be an Amtrak engineer)

But,

how come Amtrak didn't have said issues with getting lost in CTC territory and grade crossing devises not activating on BNSF, CSX, NS, and CP territories, using the same type of cars and braking equipment?? Back then, there were LOTS of coal trains on those railroads, so there should have been issues with coal dust on the railhead causing Amtrak trains to lose their shunting abilities...hmmmm.....