L'anse, Mich. question

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
joeyuboats
Railroadfan...fan

L'anse, Mich. question

Unread post by joeyuboats »

According to Google maps, there are 2 separate ends of track in L'anse-- one on the old mainline, with a passing track, and one that branches off and crosses a main road, also with a passing track. Near the end of track, there is a switchback into Certainteed/ Celotex. How many car lengths are there on the tail of that switchback, as it seems rather short. Also-- did that switchback ever hook back into the old main track??

GRHC
Railroadfan...fan

Re: L'anse, Mich. question

Unread post by GRHC »

joeyuboats wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:14 pm
According to Google maps, there are 2 separate ends of track in L'anse-- one on the old mainline, with a passing track, and one that branches off and crosses a main road, also with a passing track. Near the end of track, there is a switchback into Certainteed/ Celotex. How many car lengths are there on the tail of that switchback, as it seems rather short. Also-- did that switchback ever hook back into the old main track??
Yes at one time the tracks did join back up together. You can see for yourself by logging on to the Historic Aerials website. Click on the topo icon or the aerial icon from the 50s or 60s and that will show you everything you want to see.
https://www.historicaerials.com/viewer

Buster Manning
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Buster Manning »

me thinks you misspoke

I looked at the 1951 aerial and it doesn't show them connecting....plus with me driving in this area, the elevation change btw the mainline and the tail track for the industrial lead precludes any physical connection

I've been curious about how many cars they could handle on that tail track...of course, you wouldn't want too many cars as I know the grade going down into the industries is quite steep. I know during WC days, they would come up to Lanse with a single unit...but they weren't handling the amount of tonnage that CN does with todays' trains

GRHC
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GRHC »

Buster Manning wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:18 am
me thinks you misspoke

I looked at the 1951 aerial and it doesn't show them connecting....plus with me driving in this area, the elevation change btw the mainline and the tail track for the industrial lead precludes any physical connection
I simply went by what the topographical map showed me. The map could be wrong which would make me wrong. You are correct I looked at the aerial photo and it shows no connection and I would trust the aerial photo before I would the map.

Edit: found a very good topographical map from 1975 and it definitely shows no connection so I was definitely wrong. Wrong wrong wrong wrong.
Last edited by GRHC on Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Buster Manning
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Buster Manning »

I tried using the topo portion of this area....for whatever reason the website didn't want to load a whole section of the map, specifically it would show what you posted ( and you can see the mainline below the red line--which is US-41) ...and you can see the contour line for an elevation change btw the mainline and the industrial trackage....some maps this line represents 10 ft......other maps it could be 100 ft., depending on the scale of the map

As someone who went to school for map making ( Ferris St. for photogrammetric mapping technology---a fancy term for making maps using aerial photos) it is a pet peeve of mine when maps aren't accurate...

joeyuboats
Railroadfan...fan

OK, no problem-- so, those who live near there, or have seen the pocket of the switchback--- how many cars, or feet are there between the switch points, and the end of track??

GRHC
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GRHC »

joeyuboats wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 3:15 pm
OK, no problem-- so, those who live near there, or have seen the pocket of the switchback--- how many cars, or feet are there between the switch points, and the end of track??
I tried using the map that I have on my iPhone to get a good idea of how long that tail track is however I don’t know how accurate my measurements are. As I zoom the map in or out the scale changes so it’s kind of difficult but I would say it’s somewhere between 750 to 1000 feet long.

These two screenshots are an example an example of what I mean.
821179A9-577E-4957-A230-3A989261311F.jpeg
B1E9A79B-51C7-4746-96A5-81C11457DB82.jpeg
Here’s a link to the topographical map shown in the screenshot sometimes it’ll come up as a 1975 version or come up as an updated map.
https://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=42.6514 ... 0&z=15&b=t

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

Buster Manning wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:27 pm

As someone who went to school for map making ( Ferris St. for photogrammetric mapping technology---a fancy term for making maps using aerial photos) it is a pet peeve of mine when maps aren't accurate...
I did not know this was your educational skillset, Mr Buster! I may have to consult with you about future map related questions! Also, I share your pet peeve…

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Unread post by DaveO »

if you use google maps measuring tool it looks to be about 460 feet using aerial image

joeyuboats
Railroadfan...fan

That's what I was looking for, THANKS GUYS!!

DaveO

Unread post by DaveO »

this showed up on my youtube recommendations last night
https://youtu.be/1VDwKVHN0QA
recap:
train arrived? and left inbounds on siding or main.
next day? engines ran around inbounds and went light engines down hill.
pulled outbounds and then shoved them back into other track up top.
pulled inbounds and then shoved then down the hill.
light engines went up hill and then backed onto outbounds.
train went on it's merry way.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Nancy does a good job videoing train activity in the L’Anse area. This video is typical of CN’s operations there.
DaveO wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:22 am
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

DaveO

Unread post by DaveO »

AARR wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:12 am
Nancy does a good job videoing train activity in the L’Anse area. This video is typical of CN’s operations there.
DaveO wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:22 am
I was surprised at how it was done.
But considering the track layout and the number of cars, it makes sense.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I was surprised too. I expected them to go directly into the yard and not use the mainline past the yard switch. But as you rightly pointed out, it makes sense how they do it. But on those freezing days that back up move must be cold 🥶 .
DaveO wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:09 am
I was surprised at how it was done.
But considering the track layout and the number of cars, it makes sense.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

joeyuboats
Railroadfan...fan

Does anyone know if CertanTeed-- or Koppers, has a trackmobile, or something to move cars? I ask because all of the vids show strings of cars being pulled out or pushed into this area, but yet nothing to show CN actually moving/ placing cars at CertainTeed, which would require a run around move, and a limited length switchback pocket.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I suspect they do because it appears CN sets out and picks up in the yard and doesn’t move cars on the customers spurs.
joeyuboats wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:16 am
Does anyone know if CertanTeed-- or Koppers, has a trackmobile, or something to move cars?

joeyuboats
Railroadfan...fan

Thank you- I thought that might be what happens.