Grand Blanc Tornado

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Grand Blanc Tornado

Unread post by chapmaja »

It looks like the area the tornado hit (Reid Rd and Dort Highway) is the location of the Waretech Industrial Park, next to the GM Plant. I know they still have a yard back behind the industrial park that used to serve the GM plant. It appears one building in the industrial park still gets rail service. Does anyone know if this is true and if the railroad suffered any damage from the tornado last night?

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: Grand Blanc Tornado

Unread post by AARR »

I heard LSRC picked up a new customer In that area but I don’t know the exact location or name
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

David Lang
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by David Lang »

Sorry I don't have an answer to the original question, but this weather is nuts, even by Michigan standards.

Was ready to turn on the A/C yesterday as house was 74 degrees and humid inside, and as I type this I'm wearing my slippers.

atrainguy60
Saginaw Sub Foamer

Unread post by atrainguy60 »

Looks like it peaked in intensity as an EF2 right by the railyard. I haven't seen anything about it affecting the tracks, although it did heavily damage a warehouse adjacent to it. On a side note, the National Weather Service on Twitter says this is only the second tornado recorded hitting southeast Michigan in February, with the other being in 1974!

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Who is the new customer in the Grand Blanc area picked up by LSRC?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

King steel built a new track into their plant south of Baldwin along Holly Rd. You can only see the switch installed at Newark on Google Earth. The imagery is out of date. Even the new Magna plant is still a forest.
Making the railroad all Catywompus since 2008

https://www.flickr.com/gp/66353741@N07/02EZ1e

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

CAT345C wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 6:47 pm
King steel built a new track into their plant south of Baldwin along Holly Rd. You can only see the switch installed at Newark on Google Earth. The imagery is out of date. Even the new Magna plant is still a forest.
October 2022 imagery:
KingSteel.JPG

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Thank you. I can't tell what kind of cars are on the spur. Can you help me with that?
NS3322 wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:42 pm
CAT345C wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 6:47 pm
October 2022 imagery:
KingSteel.JPG

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

AARR wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:48 pm
Thank you. I can't tell what kind of cars are on the spur. Can you help me with that?
They appear to be boxcars.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Interesting, I wonder if they are bringing in steel coils? LSRC figured out a unique way to load them in boxcars and get more tonnage than the standard gondola. It was in one of their newsletters. Afterwards, the boxcars are hauled up to the lumber mills in Grayling, loaded, and shipped back to their destinations.
NS3322 wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:01 pm
AARR wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:48 pm
They appear to be boxcars.