CN to run donation special down the Holly Sub

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

CN to run donation special down the Holly Sub

Unread post by MQT1223 »

https://www.facebook.com/share/fNgruva ... tid=I6gGtw

Looks like a neat idea and fun way to get people together to help an organization in need. Can’t wait to go out for this, and donate too!
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Re: CN to run donation special down the Holly Sub

Unread post by NS3322 »

Stops in Holly, Fenton, and Durand.
418425466_3521987931408062_3756836494112548947_n.jpg

David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

Unread post by David Collins »

I’ll be on the chase, can’t wait to see y’all out for it!
Ferris State University’s Train Guy

Youtube: Michigan Railfan Films

Flickr: David R. Collins

SC: daveeed1k

David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

CN/Whaley Center Benefit Express heads up 1/20/24

Admin edit: merged to existing thread - doesn't need its own tracker, just use the CN thread for the few hours it's is running on the 20th.
I thought the run of the CN/Whaley Children’s Center Benefit Express train deserves a separate thread as it’s the first time it’ll be running…and there’s gonna be lots of railfans out chasing it/catching it to my understanding.

What we know:

CN 8952, the Grand Trunk Heritage Unit will be on the train.

They mention a caboose being on the train (which has been in Flint since the 17th of December from my understanding).

The train will make three one hour stops along its way.

Approximate times for said stops are published, they are as follows:

Holly from 12:30-1:30 PM

Fenton from 2-3 PM

Durand from 4-5 PM.

What we don’t know:

What’s the rest of the consist looking like, they’re not just going to be running a couple of engines and a caboose.

I mentioned a couple of engines, as we know…8952 is guaranteed to be on the train, but I’m pretty sure CN wouldn’t let it lead LHF from Holly to Durand pulling a special train. That probably means they’ll be running an engine on the front and one on the rear. What that engine could be is currently unknown on my end but if anyone has details feel free to enlighten us.

Crucial factor right here, what priority it’s getting. Given that it’s on its home trackage, I would expect Desk 8 (I think that’s the dispatcher, probably wrong) to give them some priority but not all the way to the point that it’s stopping freights like Q116 dead in their tracks. I doubt this will be like the CP Holiday Train where they get no priority whatsoever. Only time will tell.

If anyone has further information and/or any corrections they would like to contribute, feel free to do so.

TommyG
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TommyG »

I thought I read somewhere that they are trying to get GTW 4906, which has been in the area, to lash up with it so that it won’t have to run long hood forward.

David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

TommyG wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:20 pm
I thought I read somewhere that they are trying to get GTW 4906, which has been in the area, to lash up with it so that it won’t have to run long hood forward.
Tom! Glad to see you back on here.

I heard about this too, it would definitely be something else but I think it’s actually gone.

gridejq
Railroadfan...fan

Re: CN/Whaley Center Benefit Express heads up 1/20/24

Unread post by gridejq »

What we don’t know:

What’s the rest of the consist looking like, they’re not just going to be running a couple of engines and a caboose.

Yes we are going to only run 1 or 2 units and the cab for several reasons. I have to protect the normal jobs running this day and we are already power short.
Other reason is the cab will have the characters that are getting off at each stop and I dont want to run push-pull, it is better to run the on the head end both ways and have us waving to crowd etc. The 4906 is still in Pontiac assigned to L513 and as long as there are no failures in the next 9 days, I will have it brought to Flint to use as the lead unit on the southbound trip, the 8952 will lead north.

I mentioned a couple of engines, as we know…8952 is guaranteed to be on the train, but I’m pretty sure CN wouldn’t let it lead LHF from Holly to Durand pulling a special train. That probably means they’ll be running an engine on the front and one on the rear. What that engine could be is currently unknown on my end but if anyone has details feel free to enlighten us.

8952 will be on the train unless a failure occurs before the event and we cant get it fixed in time. Thankfully my coworkers and the MI division has done everything to hold this unit for me. The event was originally supposed to be the 23rd of December hence why it arrived spotless after being washed and waxed in Memphis.
I had the caboose brought in from Western Canada for it as well. If both units are able to run on this train, my wonderful men at the diesel house will wash both units.
These guys love their heritage and have been washing the 8952 as much as possible. CN doesnt have any policy against running LHF and to be honest since it is my deal, they are allowing me to run it how I want in terms of power. If we cant get 2 units then it will run LHF.

Crucial factor right here, what priority it’s getting. Given that it’s on its home trackage, I would expect Desk 8 (I think that’s the dispatcher, probably wrong) to give them some priority but not all the way to the point that it’s stopping freights like Q116 dead in their tracks. I doubt this will be like the CP Holiday Train where they get no priority whatsoever. Only time will tell.

When I submitted the plan for this, I had to take in account normal Holly and Flint Sub traffic, the Holly was the concern so this is how it will play out.
If we are able to get 251 out early, it will run ahead of schedule and we are hoping it will be a good meet at Holly. We would duck into the siding and run around the special after they clear north. If 251 is on time or late then we would run down to Holly, run around and do our first stop until we back into the clear into Holly siding. Once 251 clears we will head north for the other 2 stops. 116 will also be a factor but the plan is the same, we will utilize Holly Siding. Ome thing to consider now is that because we arent loading at Flat Rock 251 has been small and 116 hasnt been running since there are no empty autos needed down there. We are just running the intermodal for Detroit to Flint on 122 and then down on 508. Becasue 116 hasnt been running there is no power for 251 basically, hence the suggestion I told FR to use 4805 this past week. The unit was decent for us in Pontiac so told them to take a shot with it on 251. Luckily it worked out. Finally we are doing everything to run some our trains around the special so the schedule isnt effected to much but it is the railroad and it is winter. 508 will wait for us at Flint or Durand when we get to Durand, just depends on how big they are that day

If anyone has further information and/or any corrections they would like to contribute, feel free to do so.
[/quote]

If you have any questions I will give as many details as possible to help everyone out as this is my deal and trying to make this a success so I can put together more events in the near future. Only way it is going to happen though if people come out and donate what we need located on the flier! I did this for the children of the Whaley Center and we have to help them out. I figured if I put some "foamer" attractors that the railfan community would come together as well and stop by and give to the children as well. You will have plenty of time to take shots at each stop as well as donate. If you have children please bring them out. Finally there will be management as well under cover police etc in the areas to help with crowds. They are all for this but please dont trespass on the right away or walk across the tracks etc. There will be plenty of locations to take shots and each location we stop will be close enough to get shots next to the consist. If you cant make it, the Flint Bristol Yard Office has a bin in the vestibule for donations that you can drop off any time. If im working I will come out and thank as many people as possible in person. If you would prefer to donate some money for us to purchase products for the Center then please shoot me an email at Jonathan.Quinley@cn.ca and I will give you payment info. Thanks again for any help with this benefit and if all goes well and we can fill the caboose there will be future events on the old GT!

David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

Re: CN/Whaley Center Benefit Express heads up 1/20/24

Thank you SO much!

Erroneous Monk
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Erroneous Monk »

Nice, I'll definitely try to get out and donate! Any idea when the train will initially leave Flint SB?

David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

While y’all get it washed and stuff, can you put a new horn on it? :lol:

David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

It sounds like this run isn’t happening after all per some sources, corporate never gave approval?

kd_1014
Mike

Unread post by kd_1014 »

Nope. Shoulda knew from the flyer that it wasn’t gonna be corporate approved.

gridejq
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by gridejq »

Unfortunately event has been canceled due to the weather concern (extreme cold/wind chill). We all thank you for all the willingness to support the cause and you can still donate at the Bristol Yard office in Flint.

JBaxter
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JBaxter »

kd_1014 wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:50 pm
Interesting take considering it got canceled because of weather and they’re still encouraging people to go to the Bristol yard office.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

kd_1014 wrote:
They couldn't have even done what they had planned on doing without corporate approval... and it was stated by the man organizing it that he waited on approval to do the train.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

LansingRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by LansingRailFan »

JBaxter wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:13 pm
kd_1014 wrote:
Interesting take considering it got canceled because of weather and they’re still encouraging people to go to the Bristol yard office.
It wasn’t cancelled due to weather ten days from now. I bet you’ll believe anything you read on the Internet!

And yes you can donate items at the yard office. Better yet, donate directly to Whaley.

The best thing about this whole situation is that brought to light the dire needs of the Whaley Children’s Center. You could even order things via Amazon or Walmart etc… and ship them directly to the center:

https://www.whaleychildren.org/donate-today/

I have a feeling that with the proper organization and corporate approval we’ll see some sort of community engagement/train in ‘24. Clearly the employees’ hearts are in the right place.

Delray
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Delray »

CN already did 2 other mini events, so they are certainly on board.

Either way the Holly sub got 8952 for awhile so still a good thing

CSXBOY
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CSXBOY »

I mean with how cold and windy it's going to be the whole next week, CN postponing isn't such a bad thing. Nobody is going to wanna come out when the temp is below 15 and with 20 mph winds. I'd honestly would like CN to do this during Durand railroad days weekend in May. It would make more sense and you can have people donate more stuff on that weekend since Durand is a clusterf*** of people. CN probably wouldn't do that, but ya never know. Just my take from this.
Last edited by CSXBOY on Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

LansingRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by LansingRailFan »

Delray wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:11 pm
CN already did 2 other mini events, so they are certainly on board.

Either way the Holly sub got 8952 for awhile so still a good thing
Those flew under the radar as yard job symbols. One wasn’t publicized until afterwards. Meanwhile you’ve got TV stations calling CN media relations for comment on this latest train and they had no idea…