Updated Milan, MI discussion

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Erroneous Monk
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Updated Milan, MI discussion

Unread post by Erroneous Monk »

chapmaja wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:31 pm
I think there is a regular amount of AA work in the Milan Yard (meaning daily) when the AA runs through Milan. I dont think I have ever seen them not stop to work something in Milan. I dont think there is that much interchange anymore. There used to be a significant interchange when the AA was still pulling loads from Saline, but that dried up. Most interchange with NS happens in Toledo.
Erroneous Monk wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:48 am
NickThatRailfan wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 7:19 pm
NS 120
NS 121
NS 181
NS 188
NS 189
NS 255
NS 256
NS B70
NS B73
NS AA Interchange ×2
AA ×2
CPKC 131
CPKC 132
CPKC 133
CPKC 137
CPKC 230
CPKC 231
CPKC 734

If you go on a weekday a typical day in Milan would see give or take 20 trains
More like 15 according to your list. CPKC 734 is as-needed and there is no such thing as "NS AA Interchange" let alone two of them. When an interchange does happen at Milan-which if IIRC is not any everyday thing-it would probably be handled by B70
Fair enough, I've only recently caught them with unit grainers that just go straight through from Osmer

LansingRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by LansingRailFan »

AARR worked Milan tonight. Set off one car for NS before heading NB to Osmer

Erroneous Monk
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Erroneous Monk »

Well there ya have it. Do we know what kind of traffic is being interchanged at Milan? Is it freight from up north routed towards Detroit?

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by chapmaja »

Erroneous Monk wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 3:36 pm
chapmaja wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:31 pm
I think there is a regular amount of AA work in the Milan Yard (meaning daily) when the AA runs through Milan. I dont think I have ever seen them not stop to work something in Milan. I dont think there is that much interchange anymore. There used to be a significant interchange when the AA was still pulling loads from Saline, but that dried up. Most interchange with NS happens in Toledo.
Erroneous Monk wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:48 am

More like 15 according to your list. CPKC 734 is as-needed and there is no such thing as "NS AA Interchange" let alone two of them. When an interchange does happen at Milan-which if IIRC is not any everyday thing-it would probably be handled by B70
Fair enough, I've only recently caught them with unit grainers that just go straight through from Osmer
There seem to be a good number of those. They also tend to have a decent number of tank cars stored in the Milan Yard. These I think are for the loading operation in Dundee, so they are pulling cars out and pushing new in regularly for that operation.

LansingRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by LansingRailFan »

Erroneous Monk wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:48 pm
Well there ya have it. Do we know what kind of traffic is being interchanged at Milan? Is it freight from up north routed towards Detroit?
Most likely it is AARR-online traffic that is bound for either Detroit or the west like Elkhart or St. Louis. Anything Detroit-"up north" would go by truck.

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

Erroneous Monk wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:48 pm
Historically, a portion of the interchange traffic were 86’ boxcars of engines coming out from the GEMA plant (now Stelantis) at Dundee. The engines they have produced there have changed over the years and, depending on where the actual vehicles were being assembled, traffic would ebb and flow from just a single car or two to a handful for interchange every day. I’m not sure of the current products or interchange volume.

Tankcars were also interchanged at Milan but I’m not sure what they were carrying, Chapmaja could be right on!

Some folks boohoo places that are less-than “the very most busiest”, but I find the operations where cars are interchanged to be fascinating! If fans go to places like Milan, it’s helpful to post a trip report, even a short one, that just summarizes what was seen, to help educate others and report out on current operations.

NickThatRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NickThatRailfan »

CSXBOY wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 2:40 pm
NickThatRailfan wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 11:16 pm
[quote=MQT1223 post_id=536213 time=<a href="tel:1705282588">1705282588</a> user_id=9153]
[quote=NickThatRailfan post_id=536116 time=<a href="tel:1705191574">1705191574</a> user_id=10795]
[quote=CSXBOY post_id=536111 time=<a href="tel:1705187676">1705187676</a> user_id=9447]
Terms of Michigan railroading, Battle Creek is probably if not the hottest spot for trains in Michigan. Around 20-24 CN trains a day, 8 Amtrak trains and maybe an NS local. Battle Creek is much busier than Milan. The wabash through Milan only sees 12 trains a day maybe less than that. 7-8 NS trains and 3-5 CPKC trains in a 24 hour period. Like I said go to Ohio or Indiana and you won't be dissapointed. If you're from Battle Creek, I highly suggest you go to Waterloo IN. Safe Amtrak station with incredible night lighting and tons of high speed trains. 50-60 NS trains a day and maybe the 5 CPKC trains.

Dude I am not from Battle Creek, yes I have good train action in Battle Creek but the people around were really sketchy. Waterloo is my go to spot for railfanning, but like I said I wanna go somewhere other than the Chicago Line. This is traffic in Milan
NS 120
NS 121
NS 181
NS 188
NS 189
NS 255
NS 256
NS B70
NS B73
NS AA Interchange ×2
AA ×2
CPKC 131
CPKC 132
CPKC 133
CPKC 137
CPKC 230
CPKC 231
CPKC 734

If you go on a weekday a typical day in Milan would see give or take 20 trains
Battle Creek is a flash in the pan if you think that is "sketchy". Most of the best train watching places you are going to find if you want volume and multiple railroads are going to be in areas that may or may not have some interesting locals or a tad run down. Be vigilant, mind your P's and Q's and you'll be fine. If you aren't comfortable with that then don't go alone. I've sat in Battle Creek for hours and never once been approached or harassed by anybody. Battle Creek might not be pretty anymore but it's definitely a good place to check, probably the best West Michigan has to offer.

If you want a better option then your only place to go is further south. The CSX Garrett and Willard Subs aren't that much further south then the NS Chicago Line, and places such as Deshler, Vickers and Fostoria will have high volumes but otherwise you aren't going to get many better options. That's what you get in a state with water surrounding most of it.

My Go-To is the CN South Bend Sub at Schoolcraft. Might not have the volume but gives me plenty of time to move around and get shots in various places, and I stick to the stretch mostly between Climax and Cassopolis if I want to mix it up. I think you will find in time that quality over quantity is the way to go, at least in my book it is.
[/quote]

I have been on the Garrett Sub a few times I have usually had good luck other than when I camped over night at Deshler we only saw around 30 trains in 20 hours
[/quote]
I second this. Deshler is the greatest place to go in our area. A lot of trains are decently lit as many westbounds run in the evening and many eastbounds run in the morning. The small town atmosphere is amazing and they still got the old CPLS up. Around 50-60 trains a day through here. Good chunk of foreign power too through Deshler too compared to many places these days.
[/quote]

Yeah there is alot of unit trains that originate out of BNSF in Chicago and there are a few intermodals that run from BNSF to North Baltimore. They orginate in McCook, IL