Bridges at Rail Crossings

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Sean N
Railroadfan...fan

Bridges at Rail Crossings

Unread post by Sean N »

Senate backs $50M program to put overpasses at congested rail crossings
By David Eggert

May 10, 2023 02:02 PM UPDATED 17 HOURS AGO
LANSING — Michigan would create and fund a grant program to pay for projects that create roads that go above or under railroad crossing and stop congestion under bills that received Senate approval on Wednesday.

The policy legislation, which was passed 38-0, is designed to address traffic, safety and noise concerns through grade separation. The Senate also approved a transportation spending bill, 20-18 along party lines, with $50 million for the initiative.

It remains to be seen if the funding will be included in the final budget to be negotiated among the Democratic-led Senate, Democratic-controlled House and Democratic Gov. Gretchen Whitmer. The House is expected to include $33 million for the program in a spending plan it will pass this week. Whitmer did not propose such funding in her blueprint.

Under Senate Bill 125, the state Department of Transportation would be required to establish the program to issue grade-separation grants to cities, villages and county road commissions. Applicants would have to provide a local, private or federal grant equaling at least 10% of cost to build an overpass or underpass. The measure also would create the local grade separation fund.

Senate Bill 124 would require that priority be given to projects that are within 5 miles of a railyard, manufacturing plant, hospital, assisted-living facility, school or courthouse.

The bills, sponsored by Democratic Sen. Darrin Camilleri of Trenton, were sent to the House for consideration next. He said they are the only way to permanently solve long delays at crossings across the state and especially in the Downriver area.

"Today's vote was a huge step forward to building more bridges over busy rail crossings and solving one of our state's biggest transportation challenges," Camilleri said in a statement. "These bills will help improve public safety, bring new jobs to our state and solve headaches for thousands of Michiganders each day, and I'm excited to continue working with my colleagues in the House and the governor to get them across the finish line."

By David Eggert
David Eggert is a senior reporter covering politics and policy for Crain’s Detroit Business. He joined Crain’s in 2022 after a combined 15 years at The Associated Press in Lansing and jobs at MLive, the Lansing State Journal and various other newspapers.

Politics & Policy, News, Latest News
Sean

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Bridges at Rail Crossings

Unread post by chapmaja »

I suspect this is a "state-wide" bill to address a single problem location. The Allen Rd - Van Horn Intersection is a downriver location (mentioned in the article)amd within 5 miles of each of the categories listed as priority criteria. Interestingly as well, the money $33 million, is a substantial (and likely state/local portion) of the $39 million estimated pricetag for the Van Horn - Allen Rd intersection that needs to be addressed (and I think it does need to be addressed)

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

I hope they realize that $50 million ain’t much for a grade separation project - at least if they want to fund more than one or maybe two a year. These get really expensive really quickly, especially when they’ve gotta acquire property to actually build anything in denser areas.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by justalurker66 »

Indiana gave out $125 million to fund 12 projects across the state in 2018. I remember four of the projects in Northern Indiana. None of them have been completed (I have not researched the full list).

The two in the county where I live will have a total cost of $24 million for the first and $34 million for the second. Both will cross over the Norfolk Southern triple track in Elkhart which has a parallel road on both sides of the tracks. Which means the overpasses need to span over the parallel roads as well as the railroad so it is basically three bridges per grade separation (with the more expensive project having a fourth bridge for a waterway). Getting up to the height needed to cross over a railroad requires a decent length of road for the approach.

So yes, for $58 million one might be able to build two overpasses. $26.35 million of these two are being covered by the 2018 grants.

$50 million could be seed money for a few projects (4 or 5) or real support of one or two projects. But someone else is going to have to chip in some money to make those seeds grow.

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

Saturnalia wrote:
Thu May 11, 2023 9:17 pm
I hope they realize that $50 million ain’t much for a grade separation project - at least if they want to fund more than one or maybe two a year. These get really expensive really quickly, especially when they’ve gotta acquire property to actually build anything in denser areas.
Especially with the way engineering firms around here have been goobering up plans lately. Dans will work on a 1% margin to get a job then shut it down until a change order is approved at a much higher amount. Literally highway robbery lol.
Making the railroad all Catywompus since 2008

https://www.flickr.com/gp/66353741@N07/02EZ1e