What is the requirement of working on the rail road

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
railfan isaac
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by railfan isaac »

I was wondering what the requirements are to start working on the railroad In Michigan on the Grand Rapids or Plymouth sub
living life on the rails! :lol:

iNFEKT
Railroadfan...fan

Re: What is the requirement of working on the rail road

Unread post by iNFEKT »

Depends on the job you want to do, looks like CSX only has one position open right now in Michigan:

https://fa-eowa-saasfaprod1.fa.ocs.orac ... iusUnit=MI

NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Unread post by NSSD70ACe »

railfan isaac wrote:
Sat May 06, 2023 10:30 pm
I was wondering what the requirements are to start working on the railroad In Michigan on the Grand Rapids or Plymouth sub
Let me say this, given your username….

If you intend to hire out on the railroad, you need to be prepared to do actual WORK. This isn’t just about playing with trains. I’m talking 12 hour shifts in everything from 100+ degree heat to -60 windchill in the dead of night, depending where you work and what carrier (CSX you won’t hit — most of the time — but it does get cold).

Your managers will be hit or miss. Some of them are really great. Others are awful. You’re gonna be asked to do things that are crappy. That’s how it goes sometimes.

I’m not sure what CSX gets for a call or if they have set rest days (my carrier does not have set rest for the road in most terminals).

It is a hard life, but can be well worth it if you’re willing to put everything in for a while before you hold a regular job. It isn’t for everyone. No shame in admitting that.
:roll:

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

David Lang
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by David Lang »

Good Advice NSSD70ACe.

I have never personally worked for a railroad, but grew up around it. My Grandfather and Uncle both worked for the GTW (later CN), and many of my Grandpa's relatives before him. Plenty of stories over the years that have caused me to appreciate what they did for a living, and to understand (although not fully) what they went through day in and day out.

The one good side is the pay and benefits offered with no need for a college degree (Engineering and Conductors for example).

One other thing to note is its hard on a family. As NSSD70ACe stated, its 12 hour days, day or night, regardless of weather, so if you plan on having a family, know that going in. There needs to be that understanding between a couple before committing to it. I've known a lot of railroaders that were divorced because you're just never home. Case in Point - If you hire in as a Conductor, you work your 12 hour shift and run a train from GR to Chicago (for example). Railroad puts you up in a hotel and you are off for another 10 or 12 hours and you're called out again to run back to GR, then you're home for a bit and off you go again, and the cycle continues until you have a day off. Oh and by the way, you can forget holidays. Do you like Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years? Count on working them all the time. One good joke I heard over the scanner once while listening to the NS mainline was told this way: "What does NS call Thanksgiving?"....Answer: "Thursday". On the Railroad, they are all just another day!

Just a few things to think about.

Manistique
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Manistique »

Availability.

dmitzel
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by dmitzel »

Also need to pass a DOT drug test, and stay clean. Just because it’s legal at the state level doesn’t mean the Feds are on board.
D.M. Mitzel
Div. 8-NCR-NMRA
Oxford, Mich.

pudgy
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by pudgy »

A pulse and a clean piss/hair test.
Big Easy

ConductorBigShoe
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ConductorBigShoe »

Once you finishing training you'll be placed on the extra board, and you can kiss having a life good bye. 12 hour shifts, 10 hours off, 6 days a week. So if I started at 5 am, I'll expect to work till 5 pm (if I don't get limbo time which is possible) and expect a call at 3 am to be in at 5 am the next day. Expect to be on the board for a few years till you gain some seniority and can bid on a daily job, however you can always expect someone more senior to bump you off and take it.
And although it has gotten slightly better, many a manager will be hiding in the bushes trying to get you on anything and everything, particularly on class 1s and many class 2s.

The only good thing I'd say is it pays real well, if you can tolerate the bad.

Personally would advise simply volunteering at a museum or try working for an industrial switching company. Lot of grain elevators, industrial plants, etc have their own mini yards and will hire a contractor to switch them. Many offer RR retirement, a set schedule and aren't constantly trying to get you in trouble for something.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

One thing to consider is Class One versus shortline. The smaller railroads typically pay less, but the scheduling is usually much better.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

ConductorBigShoe
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ConductorBigShoe »

Saturnalia wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 8:10 pm
One thing to consider is Class One versus shortline. The smaller railroads typically pay less, but the scheduling is usually much better.
True if you can get your foot in the door which is unlikely without any experience. Lot of guys (myself included) work for a class 1 for a few years then jump ship to a shortlines, so there's always that.
Also companies like g and w , watco etc who own many regional and shortlines will often have a extra board and send one to another RR they own as needed. I believe Adrian and Blissfield does this as well (correct me if wrong)

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

railfan isaac wrote:
Be willing to work all the live long day just to past the time away.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Doktor No »

The union contract for class one railroad retirement is at 60/30. Retire at 60 when you have 30 years in or 360 weeks. Shortlines that is not the case.
If you REALLY REALLY wanna work for the 'railroad' DO IT. I started in 1977 with Chessie, quit cause these people are NUTS and went back in 78. Then I JOINED the nut ride and USUALLY enjoyed the ride. Getting called for a 12 plus hour job at 11 at night is a BEAR, But those sunrises can make it worthwhile watching Michigan go by your window.
Hey JUST DO IT! The pay is FANSTASTIC and the benefits are too. Throw everything you thought about a normal life into a cocked hat because after your IN you are IN. Go to Railroading When It Was Fun on Facebook. Lots of interesting stories.
Curb Your Enthusiasm.

1TrackMind
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by 1TrackMind »

Doktor No wrote:
Sat May 20, 2023 5:27 pm
The union contract for class one railroad retirement is at 60/30. Retire at 60 when you have 30 years in or 360 weeks. Shortlines that is not the case.
Isn't railroad retirement the same for everyone? In terms of requirment and return? (Adjusted for the amount paid in obviously)

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

1TrackMind wrote:
Sat May 20, 2023 11:13 pm
Doktor No wrote:
Sat May 20, 2023 5:27 pm
Isn't railroad retirement the same for everyone? In terms of requirment and return? (Adjusted for the amount paid in obviously)
That is correct. 60/30 rule is from the Railroad Retirement Board.

You’re retirement pay is based on your highest earning 60 months, so it does depend on what job you have an where you work, since those who make more working pay in more and thus are entitled to higher retirement payouts as well.

You are “vested” in RRT once you have 60 months of qualifying service. There is a matrix of benefit reductions if you draw at less than 60/30. For instance, if you have 30 years but not age 60, you’d get less if you start receiving benefits at age 55. However, if you retire at 55 with 30 years of service and don’t begin to claim the benefits until age 60, then you’ll get full freight.

NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Unread post by NSSD70ACe »

ConductorBigShoe wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 12:20 pm
And although it has gotten slightly better, many a manager will be hiding in the bushes trying to get you on anything and everything, particularly on class 1s and many class 2s.

….and aren't constantly trying to get you in trouble for something.
Curious what road this is because I’ve found it’s not particularly accurate with my employer.
:roll:

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

Unionized and non union short lines do not ha=ve 60/30. It would be just like SS. Born around 53 the age is 66 and full retirement age goes up as the years go by. Class ones have a 60/30 agreement.
Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

https://www.rrb.gov/Newsroom/NewsReleas ... Reductions Heck, maybe everyone from class ones on down can retire at 60 with 30 years....I give up on that one. But there you have the ages etc etc. You pay something like 17% more into RRRetirement vs SS but RRT is way better and your wife gets an annuity too on top of her SS. IIRC when you go to the big roundhouse in the sky for the final tie up your wife gets YOUR retirement.
Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Doktor No wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 8:10 pm
https://www.rrb.gov/Newsroom/NewsReleas ... Reductions Heck, maybe everyone from class ones on down can retire at 60 with 30 years....I give up on that one. But there you have the ages etc etc. You pay something like 17% more into RRRetirement vs SS but RRT is way better and your wife gets an annuity too on top of her SS. IIRC when you go to the big roundhouse in the sky for the final tie up your wife gets YOUR retirement.
Another good selling point for RRT is that its trust fund is actually solvent, unlike Social Security.

I've only got 35 years to go! :lol:

MikeB89
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MikeB89 »

NSSD70ACe wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 11:47 am
railfan isaac wrote:
Let me say this, given your username….

If you intend to hire out on the railroad, you need to be prepared to do actual WORK. This isn’t just about playing with trains. I’m talking 12 hour shifts in everything from 100+ degree heat to -60 windchill in the dead of night, depending where you work and what carrier (CSX you won’t hit — most of the time — but it does get cold).

Your managers will be hit or miss. Some of them are really great. Others are awful. You’re gonna be asked to do things that are crappy. That’s how it goes sometimes.

I’m not sure what CSX gets for a call or if they have set rest days (my carrier does not have set rest for the road in most terminals).

It is a hard life, but can be well worth it if you’re willing to put everything in for a while before you hold a regular job. It isn’t for everyone. No shame in admitting that.
What he said right here is spot on. I'm not a rail worker, have considered it in the signal maintainer field but passed it up. Just wasn't willing to work the schedules these guys get put through.

That being said I do know some guys that work on the rail. This isn't some piece of cake job. Its really hardwork, brutual, and exhausting. Not only that your life is also at risk. Safety is a big portion of that as well. You have to pay attention to detail because one slip up things can go wrong. You're also at risk of seeing things that you may not want to see. Some people don't give a flying care to trains and if you're on a train and hit someone you will have to be willing to live with that. Just this past week some train grew had to deal with an incident way out of their hands. I posted about it just the other day. As a railfan it wasn't even something I liked to hear come across my scanner.