SD60’s stored in Saginaw

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
mywayphoto
Railroadfan...fan

SD60’s stored in Saginaw

Unread post by mywayphoto »

Anyone know when the SD60’s (CEFX6017 & CEFX6020) in Saginaw are getting sent out as PRLX bought them and renumbered them from 6017 - 6007 and 6020 - 6310. I heard they’re bound for Mayfield, Ky for scrapping. Could LSRC try to buy them off of PRLX now since CEFX doesn’t own them anymore??

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Re: SD60’s stored in Saginaw

Unread post by chapmaja »

Why would a company by the units, renumber them, only to scrap them?

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

chapmaja wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 9:36 am
Why would a company by the units, renumber them, only to scrap them?
Because they do it all of the time. Just like how old ships get renamed when sold for scrapping.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

R Bedell
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by R Bedell »

I looked at the Diesel Shop for LSRC locomotive roster, and there are NO SD-60's listed.

:shock:

patrick
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by patrick »

their former CITX 6017 and 6020. both are owned by PRLX now. odds are they wont be scrapped. PRLX had already resold a small number of these and I recall crews saying both of these units were good runners so i'm sure they'll be resold as well eventually.

David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

Unread post by David Collins »

I've heard that these were bought by a shoreline in Texas and Progress Rail is brokering the deal of these engines, this railroad has several former CITX SD60's.

mywayphoto
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by mywayphoto »

R Bedell wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 7:07 am
I looked at the Diesel Shop for LSRC locomotive roster, and there are NO SD-60's listed.

Because these are one’s they leased and attempted to buy but CEFX wanted more than what they’re worth.

CR900945
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CR900945 »

I would think if LSRC wanted the units, they would gotten them already rather having them sit for two years. With the huge surplus of serviceable road units in the industry due to reduced coal traffic, there is not such a hot market right now. The owner/lessor would have been very flexible on pricing.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

CR900945 wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2023 11:29 am
I would think if LSRC wanted the units, they would gotten them already rather having them sit for two years. With the huge surplus of serviceable road units in the industry due to reduced coal traffic, there is not such a hot market right now. The owner/lessor would have been very flexible on pricing.
CIT thinks their locomotives are worth their weight in gold.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

Robertrains
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Robertrains »

CR900945 wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2023 11:29 am
I will miss these! The old SOO SD60, #6020 was re-stenciled/painted by some random Railfan and someone else! It looked nice!!!! Now I suppose it won't look as nice!!!! CR900945, they have been sitting longer than two years! LSRC was prepping them at the beginning of 2020 to be sent back to CEFX! Guess that didn't happen! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Take a look at this picture (Mamiya Medium Format film camera) that I (RLJ II) took of the old SOO CEFX SD60 #6020 with re-stenciled lettering and paint, Saginaw, MI, August 22, 2019: Image
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=5186684
Robert Jackson (Extreme Railfan/Bluewater and Michigan Transit Museum member)

http://cooltrains.rrpicturearchives.net/

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

R Bedell wrote:

Your first mistake was using the Diesel Shop as your only resource. I've found lots of mistakes on that site.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

NS3322 wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2023 8:24 pm
R Bedell wrote:

Your first mistake was using the Diesel Shop as your only resource. I've found lots of mistakes on that site.
Those wouldn’t be on their roster because they’re just leased for what everybody figured was (and has turned out to be) short-term. Most people wouldn’t list them, either.

The Diesel Shop does a pretty good job. Definitely better than RRPA! Plus if you find a mistake, email them and they’ll fix it.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

R Bedell
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by R Bedell »

NSS332:
Pray tell, according to YOU, what is an accurate site ????

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

R Bedell wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2023 7:28 am
NSS332:
Pray tell, according to YOU, what is an accurate site ????
Calm down everyone! :D I did not mean to stir the pot!
I would use a combo of RailroadfanWiki, LocoNotes, RRPA, and Diesel Shop. But that is just my opinion...I just have come across numerous errors on Diesel Shop that have made me question the site over the last 2 years or so. Do not get me wrong it is a great resource, but I would also cross check with other sites. Thank you Saturnalia for informing us they are very responsive to emails!

RRPA is a lot more accurate than it is given credit for. It is an older clunky site, but I enjoy the way it is organized so I am biased.

Link to updated RailroadfanWiki Lake State Roster:
https://railroadfan.com/wiki/index.php/ ... ive_Roster

Bonus: Steamlocomotive.info and Steamlocomotive.com are both excellent sources for steam locomotive information.

CSXT9040
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CSXT9040 »

Here’s a bit of an update: As of September 16th, CEFX 6020 is now GREX 1010. An hour prior to writing this I caught this unit trailing DIT on CSX M201.
From what I’ve heard, its gonna be used at a quarry in Texas
Resident GE foamer :lol:
19 year old railfan who frequently can be seen trackside around Northern Indiana.
https://youtube.com/@ACCWMetal?si=KhXh5f-cdvICYx--

joeyuboats
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by joeyuboats »

That's kind of a shame, as that might be the last SOO unit in the " correct" colors, that we will ever see.

CSXT9040
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CSXT9040 »

joeyuboats wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2023 4:32 pm
That's kind of a shame, as that might be the last SOO unit in the " correct" colors, that we will ever see.
There’s a few SOO SD60s already in Texas, but its a shame that they will more than likely never make their way up here again. At least CP has a SOO geep working locals out of Bensenville yard in Chicago.
Resident GE foamer :lol:
19 year old railfan who frequently can be seen trackside around Northern Indiana.
https://youtube.com/@ACCWMetal?si=KhXh5f-cdvICYx--

Robertrains
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Robertrains »

CSXT9040 wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2023 8:28 pm
joeyuboats wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2023 4:32 pm
There’s a few SOO SD60s already in Texas, but its a shame that they will more than likely never make their way up here again. At least CP has a SOO geep working locals out of Bensenville yard in Chicago.
True about the SOO!!!! It is a shame it left! Also, it was spotted by Steve K on "Heritage Units!" Yup now GREX 1010!!!! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Here's a video of ex SOO SD60 #6020 passing southbound at Willard Road near Clio September 13, 2023 (©Diana's freighters and trains): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYjkUS498ik

Heritage Units ex CEFX 6020 link: https://heritageunits.com/locomotive/detail/CEFX6020
Robert Jackson (Extreme Railfan/Bluewater and Michigan Transit Museum member)

http://cooltrains.rrpicturearchives.net/