Rumor for Mount Pleasant having a new transloading facility, GLC news

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
dalek ling
Railroadfan...fan

Rumor for Mount Pleasant having a new transloading facility, GLC news

Unread post by dalek ling »

So I heard a rumor that Mount Pleasant between Broadway and Pickard st that there was going to be a transloading facility, I don’t have any information on it, it’s just a rumor, and I want to get you guy’s opinion
The 15 year old railfan from Michigan :P And the only one who believes in A2TC
Youtube- Dalek Ling
Instagram- dalekling1212

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: Rumor for Mount Pleasant having a new transloading facility, GLC news

Unread post by AARR »

In past years TSBY/GLC has transloaded a few carloads of covered hoppers and tank cars in Mt. Pleasant. I don't know what commodities were transloaded there (perhaps drilling acids or clay?).

Going back 30 years ago they used to transload feed and sulfuric acid in Mt. Pleasant.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Chip
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Chip »

There’s no way. One side of the tracks in that area is residential and the other is a park.

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

Chip wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:29 am
There’s no way. One side of the tracks in that area is residential and the other is a park.
That is incorrect. North of Broadway the line is bordered on the west by a cemetery and the former Ferro stamping plant that I believe houses a number of smaller businesses. On the east side of the tracks lies the former depot, now a brewery restaurant, the Chippewa River, and on Pickard a small commercial building. There is a couple of sidings still extent that served Ferro to the west. A short siding lies to the east near the aforementioned building. The siding on the east was a team track used to have an a frame Derrick I believe was used to unload pipe and oil drilling equipment.

Chip
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Chip »

I just looked it up on google map to refresh my memory. OP specifically said between Broadway and Pickard. Tell me where in here it would fit. Unless one of the businesses allow access it’s not happening.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

They could do low volume transload business on the track south of the Handyman/Lawncare Service (north of North Dr.). I think that is the track SR indicated where they used to unload drilling pipe and supplies.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Chip wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:07 am
I just looked it up on google map to refresh my memory. OP specifically said between Broadway and Pickard. Tell me where in here it would fit. Unless one of the businesses allow access it’s not happening.

I believe the siding behind Pete’s Body Shop can be accessed from Pickard on railroad property. The land adjacent to the siding was and may still be owned by the State as part of the ROW.

The former stamping plant has a number of tenants. It is possible they owner may be willing to incorporate a trans load as part of the site.

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

AARR wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:22 am
They could do low volume transload business on the track south of the Handyman/Lawncare Service (north of North Dr.). I think that is the track SR indicated where they used to unload drilling pipe and supplies.
The Derrick was adjacent to the short siding on the east side behind Pete’s.

GTW6401
how bout no

Unread post by GTW6401 »

That area would work well for transloading.

The train could work on the return trip from Clare and have enough space north of Pickard to not block crossings.

1TrackMind
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by 1TrackMind »

Probably unload something on the track that runs up to Pete's auto. Seems to be just enough room to turn a semi around between it and the main.

LansingRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by LansingRailFan »

Just when you think GLC doesn’t have enough engines to decently operate their railroad and they add new customers online!

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I read that the average short line/regional railroad loses 10% of its business annually so they have to find 10% more businesses just to stay even
LansingRailFan wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:58 am
Just when you think GLC doesn’t have enough engines to decently operate their railroad and they add new customers online!

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by chapmaja »

Dumb question, but what is the property with three passenger cars on it? Google Street View looks like it is fenced in property with access from Harris St, and appears to be owned by Commerce Group or something like that, and one sign does indicate distribution center. Seems like that could be a good location for a transload.

railroader and son
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by railroader and son »

A thread based on plastic hoppers being stored in Mt pleasant that are most likely for Northern Logistics in Clare. Stop believing all the trolling on that fb page lol.