What Happened to the Coast to Coast? Michigans possible only commuter line that could work

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
GRHC
Railroadfan...fan

Re: What Happened to the Coast to Coast? Michigans possible only commuter line that could work

Unread post by GRHC »

Dan Cluley wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:36 am
Saturnalia wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:07 am
A morning train to GR/early evening back to CHI seems like a great idea.
This service has been discussed and possibly studied in the past where it stands now I have no idea. Of all the ideas/fantasy passenger train proposals that I read this one seem the most feasible in my humble opinion.

Now to answer the original question that started this thread. I have no idea couldn’t tell you.

OK now it’s my turn to propose fantasy passenger/commuter rail routes.

#1 passenger/commuter service between Grand Rapids and Kalamazoo Michigan.
#2 passenger/commuter service between Muskegon and Holland Michigan.
#3 passenger/commuter service between Lansing and Grand Rapids Michigan.
#4 passenger/commuter service between Kalamazoo Michigan and Elkhart Indiana.
#5 passenger/commuter service between Alpena and Detroit Michigan.
#6 passenger/commuter service between Marquette Michigan and Green Bay Wisconsin.
#7 passenger/commuter service between Detroit Michigan and Dayton Ohio.
#8 passenger/commuter service between Gaylord and Detroit Michigan.
#9 passenger/commuter service between Saginaw and Lansing Michigan.
#10 passenger/commuter service between Ludington and Grand Rapids Michigan.
#11 passenger /commuter service between Sault Ste. Marie and Menominee Michigan.
#12 passenger /commuter service between Iron Mountain and Escanaba Michigan.

⛔️ WARNING ALL MINDLESS POSTINGS AND SPECULATION BY GRHC ON THIS TOPIC/THREAD ARE FOR ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSES ONLY.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Re: What Happened to the Coast to Coast? Michigans possible only commuter line that could work

Unread post by justalurker66 »

Dan Cluley wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:36 am
Realistically, I suspect that the public ownership of the Michigan Line makes more trains there an easier proposition.
That thought gives the A2TC proponents hope.

dalek ling
Railroadfan...fan

100 Million dollars for Michigan HSR. Michigan passenger rail news

Unread post by dalek ling »

So according to Mlive, there are talks going around from the Michigan association of passenger rail, the house, the senate, and MDOT are talking about passing a bill for High speed rail in Michigan to get 100 million dollars, each political party has idea for Commuter rail in Michigan, like A2TC, Coast to Coast, and Detroit to Toledo. So in the next weeks, one of these projects might get enough money for them to work.

https://www.mlive.com/public-interest/2 ... udget.html
The 15 year old railfan from Michigan :P And the only one who believes in A2TC
Youtube- Dalek Ling
Instagram- dalekling1212

Chip
Railroadfan...fan

Re: 100 Million dollars for Michigan HSR. Michigan passenger rail news

Unread post by Chip »

Detroit to Toledo would be a colossal waste of money

David Lang
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by David Lang »

Is it time already to beat the dead horse again?

I guess we like to do that lol.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by justalurker66 »

dalek ling wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 10:38 am
So in the next weeks, one of these projects might get enough money for them to work.
Naw. Each group will fight for their own project and no group will end up with funding. 100 million isn't enough to make everyone happy.

dalek ling
Railroadfan...fan

Michigan big HSR project got cut from 100 million to 20 million, what happened?

So apparently Michigan High speed rail program, which would upgrade Amtrak lines, upgrade stations, and add new routes (A2TC, Coast to Coast, Detroit to Toledo etc), they asked for 100 million, but according to MILive, it got cut to 20 million, it hasn’t got signed by the governor, so maybe a chance. What are y’all opinions on this.
Youtube- Dalek Ling
Instagram- dalekling1212

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Michigan big HSR project got cut from 100 million to 20 million, what happened?

Unread post by PatAzo »

That this is a pretty well worn topic.

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Merged this new topic into the existing ones that I've previously merged of Dalek's. News article on the cut down to $20 million: https://www.mlive.com/politics/2023/07/ ... ogram.html
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

dalek ling
Railroadfan...fan

~Z~ wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2023 1:49 pm
Merged this new topic into the existing ones that I've previously merged of Dalek's. News article on the cut down to $20 million: https://www.mlive.com/politics/2023/07/ ... ogram.html
Thanks for that.
Youtube- Dalek Ling
Instagram- dalekling1212

joeyuboats
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by joeyuboats »

Passenger trains, except for the Northeast Corridor, and maybe 1 other segment, are a tremendous waste of money. Like AL used to say to Tim, on Home Improvement---- I DONT THINK SO, TIM.

KenB
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by KenB »

Passenger trains are not a waste of money. But they need to be operated corectally. They need to be operated for connectivity with other modes of transport and as a system.
Lets get real, what transportation system pays its own way?? ALL systems are sub-sidezed by the Government but rail passenger trains are the only system that is expected to make a profit?
With Washington forcing us into electric automobiles it will be more important than ever to have good rail transit.

joeyuboats
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by joeyuboats »

Well, then I guess that they are not being operated correctly, as suggested, since Amtrak began in 1972, IIRC, except for the Northeast Corridor,they have not been profitable.There is a reason that the railroads themselves got out of the passenger game. Yes-- all forms of transport are subsidized, but this is one that should just go away.The kind of passenger train that the railroads used to run,as far as levels of service and guality of equipment is gone for good. When I was back on college some 45 years ago, did a report on the decline of the American Passenger train, using the Milw. Road HIAWATHA as a example.The levels of everything in that train were first class, food,equipment, service--- but it just didn't get patronized. Amtrak tries, but does not come close. I wonder what the total bill to taxpayers since 1972 for Amtrak is. And yes, politicians will waste money, so if not Amtrak,something else would be benefitting from the endless cash infusion. When does it end? Either do something the correct way, or don't do it at all.

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by chapmaja »

In my opinion, there are a couple routes which should be added to the existing railroad network / train operations in Michigan.

I still feel a Detroit - Toledo train (yes I know it is covered by bus), to meet with the eastbounds to the east coast should happen.

I would also like to see a Lansing to Detroit train operated

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

It's dead...
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)