GLC / AA Merger WHAT IF

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

GLC / AA Merger WHAT IF

Unread post by chapmaja »

This is a very big what if question. This is not a rumor or a plan or anything like that.

If the GLC and AA were to merger, how would this change the operations of the railroads?

I can think of only 1 substantial change that would occur and that would be the CSX-GLC interchange at AnnPere would see a substantial decrease in traffic and the interchange traffic would be moved to Toledo between CSX.

In terms of operations, I don't think you would see substantial changes. I think the biggest change would be the operations of the Toledo-Osmer and Owosso-Osmer trains. I think you might see this turn into a straight run up from Toledo-Owosso with crews meeting and changing trains to return to their home city at Osmer or Chilson.

I don't think much would change with CN-GLC/AA interchange as Durand is more centrally located on CN lines than Toledo. I don't think NS interchange would change any.

I do wonder if you might see more traffic taking an IORY - GLC/AA routing up into Michigan.

I don't know if it will ever happen, I would like to see these lines merge back together and recreate what is left of the old AA.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: GLC / AA Merger WHAT IF

Unread post by AARR »

Would AnnPere remain an active interchange or would all CSX traffic go to Toledo?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

AARR wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 6:34 pm
Would AnnPere remain an active interchange or would all CSX traffic go to Toledo?
I would guess it would all go to Toledo, which would not be good for the Plymouth Sub.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

dalek ling
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by dalek ling »

chapmaja wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 11:20 pm
This is a very big what if question. This is not a rumor or a plan or anything like that.

If the GLC and AA were to merger, how would this change the operations of the railroads?

I can think of only 1 substantial change that would occur and that would be the CSX-GLC interchange at AnnPere would see a substantial decrease in traffic and the interchange traffic would be moved to Toledo between CSX.

In terms of operations, I don't think you would see substantial changes. I think the biggest change would be the operations of the Toledo-Osmer and Owosso-Osmer trains. I think you might see this turn into a straight run up from Toledo-Owosso with crews meeting and changing trains to return to their home city at Osmer or Chilson.

I don't think much would change with CN-GLC/AA interchange as Durand is more centrally located on CN lines than Toledo. I don't think NS interchange would change any.

I do wonder if you might see more traffic taking an IORY - GLC/AA routing up into Michigan.

I don't know if it will ever happen, I would like to see these lines merge back together and recreate what is left of the old AA.
So According to a rail worker for GLC this is what he said if it would happen.

So Toledo to as far north as Ithaca will see more traffic due to the ZFS and other industries up there.

Ithaca to Cadillac will have same number of traffic if not then maybe one more run

There had been plans to have a translating facility in Kalkaska, if they merged, this could be build and if this is build. The TC branch would be abandoned (If A2TC doesn’t happen) and everything north of Kalkaska would be removed

Speaking of passenger trains, A2TC and SRI operations are going to be mixed (especially if traffic is increased) so they possibly wouldn’t run or at least run trains from Owosso to Ithaca.

So that’s what would happen if AA merge with GLC according to an employee from GLC.
The 15 year old railfan from Michigan :P And the only one who believes in A2TC
Youtube- Dalek Ling
Instagram- dalekling1212

Steve B
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Steve B »

dalek ling wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 8:35 pm
chapmaja wrote:
The TC branch would be abandoned (If A2TC doesn’t happen) and everything north of Kalkaska would be removed
GLC doesn't have authority to "abandon" that line or north of Kalkaska. That trackage (like all its system except for HESR Durand-Owosso, Middleton Branch and perhaps Owosso shop tracks) is owned by the state.

GLC likely cannot drop service on a whim to those areas without revising its agreement with the state.

LansingRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by LansingRailFan »

Steve B wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 7:38 am
dalek ling wrote:
chapmaja wrote:
The TC branch would be abandoned (If A2TC doesn’t happen) and everything north of Kalkaska would be removed
GLC doesn't have authority to "abandon" that line or north of Kalkaska. That trackage (like all its system except for HESR Durand-Owosso, Middleton Branch and perhaps Owosso shop tracks) is owned by the state.

GLC likely cannot drop service on a whim to those areas without revising its agreement with the state.
100 P frfr

But...Watco could determine that they do not want to go north of Cadillac and someone else could operate up there.

I think we would probably see some amount of interchanging still at Ann Pere. There's a lot of GLC traffic that heads west on CSX. You're adding two days shipping by having it all go down to Toledo I can think of one customer in particular that would not appreciate that.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

LansingRailFan wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:53 am
But...Watco could determine that they do not want to go north of Cadillac and someone else could operate up there.
And another paper railroad is born 🙂
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

LansingRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

AARR wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:28 am
LansingRailFan wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:53 am
And another paper railroad is born 🙂
Yes. The Northern Transload RR. Possibilities are endless.

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

I think someone is smoking something. No way GLC is bought out by Watco anytime soon. Mark my words, all who say this is happening in March come back to this post a year from now and tell me this merger happened (or should I say did NOT happen).
CEO of the Waving Institute- teaching great wave forms.

1TrackMind
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by 1TrackMind »

TC Man wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:50 am
I think someone is smoking something. No way GLC is bought out by Watco anytime soon. Mark my words, all who say this is happening in March come back to this post a year from now and tell me this merger happened (or should I say did NOT happen).
Bet

1TrackMind
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by 1TrackMind »

dalek ling wrote:

I don't see that happening. This is Watco not G&W. Watco will hunt down a customer that only gets 1 car a month. More than likely they would try to get at least one or two more small customers in TC. Or just run it as it is and off set the expense with business on the south end.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

1TrackMind wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:40 pm
dalek ling wrote:

I don't see that happening. This is Watco not G&W. Watco will hunt down a customer that only gets 1 car a month. More than likely they would try to get at least one or two more small customers in TC. Or just run it as it is and off set the expense with business on the south end.
Materne could get 4-10 carloads of apples per month. Just saying :wink: .

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

AARR wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 1:51 pm
1TrackMind wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:40 pm
dalek ling wrote:

Materne could get 4-10 carloads of apples per month. Just saying :wink: .
But the rail bikes live there now. :lol:

I cite Watco's FOXY Medford Subdivision as the prime example of them hunting down customers that only get 1-5 cars a month.

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

In this hypothetical situation, I could see a Toledo to Owosso or Owosso to Toledo train needing to focus on getting over the road and not having enough time to work all the online customers along the way. I could see a definite need for a local based out of the small yard at Milan. This job could work industries perhaps as far north as North Territorial Road down through Dundee, catch and setoff any IORY interchange, and work the local NS interchange as well. This way Toledo could just build a Milan block including all of the above and then local customers and Owosso and any AnnPere traffic. Same on the reverse, southbound run.

atrainguy60
Saginaw Sub Foamer

Unread post by atrainguy60 »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but IIRC GLC runs two local turns on their line between Cadillac and Owosso, with them meeting in Clare and swapping trains before returning to their respective terminals. Could something similar happen between Owosso and Toledo? Maybe have a southbound out of Owosso and a northbound out of Toledo and they meet somewhere in the middle, perhaps Osmer?

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by chapmaja »

atrainguy60 wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:58 pm
Correct me if I'm wrong, but IIRC GLC runs two local turns on their line between Cadillac and Owosso, with them meeting in Clare and swapping trains before returning to their respective terminals. Could something similar happen between Owosso and Toledo? Maybe have a southbound out of Owosso and a northbound out of Toledo and they meet somewhere in the middle, perhaps Osmer?
That is exactly what I would expect to have happen. The OSTN and TNTN (Toledo North Turn) would meet in Osmer and swap trains.

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

chapmaja wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:57 am
atrainguy60 wrote:
That is exactly what I would expect to have happen. The OSTN and TNTN (Toledo North Turn) would meet in Osmer and swap trains.
So in other words, this fantasy merger that will not happen would not really change anything.

I recall being told by Ann Arbor RR employees in the 1960s that the AA ran almost like to separate railroads. The east end, Owosso to Toledo, made a $4MM profit and the west end, Owosso to Elberta, lost $6MM.

Chip
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Chip »

That’s… that’s not how you run a successful business. No wonder they folded.

LansingRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

atrainguy60 wrote:
That's how they used to operate. It's pretty messy these days.

Steve B
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Steve B »

Chip wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:07 am
That’s… that’s not how you run a successful business. No wonder they folded.
Are you familiar with the Interstate Commerce Commission and the stranglehold of pre-1980 regulation?

The AA did get ICC approval to abandon the Manistique and Menominee runs. But that wasn't sufficient to regain profitability, and the good-faith ferry repowering & clearance improvement efforts weren't enough either.

If the Ann Arbor's June 1972 application to abandon the Manitowoc & Kewaunee ferry lines, plus Thompsonville to Frankfort had been approved by the sclerotic ICC, it would have had a chance to become a successful business again. The abandonment hearings dragged on interminably and the AA went bankrupt in Oct. 1973.