Rail Biking business in Traverse City

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Sean N
Railroadfan...fan

Rail Biking business in Traverse City

Unread post by Sean N »

Michigan gets its first rail biking business

By WILX News 10
Published: Jan. 5, 2023 at 6:37 PM EST
LANSING, Mich. (WILX) - A Mid-Michigan woman took her love of railroads and cycling and turned it into a unique business.

It’s the first business in the state to offer rail biking - coming soon to Traverse City.

2019 Grand Ledge High School graduate Macie Hefron owns Wheels on Rails, which has bikes that run on railroad tracks that are no longer used.

Macie, a former MDOT employee, had to work with the state and railroad to get approval.

“These bikes essentially just glide down the track, so there is little to no effort to it, which is so cool. I think the biggest thing that makes me so excited is anyone and everyone can do it - from elderly to toddlers to people with disabilities,” Macie said. “I’m just super excited because a lot of activities don’t allow that for people. This is really special. People will be able to come be outside with their families and enjoy nature.”

Macie is taking reservations for the Traverse City launch on Memorial Day Weekend. More information can be found on its official website.

Subscribe to our News 10 newsletter and receive the latest local news and weather straight to your email every morning.

Copyright 2023 WILX. All rights reserved.

https://www.wilx.com/2023/01/05/michiga ... LDEYsVy5c8

https://www.wheelsonrailsmi.com/
Sean

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: Rail Biking business in Traverse City

Unread post by AARR »

Too my surprise Mrs. AARR is interested which is very cool 8)
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

Supposedly they will run them from State Street in Grawn to Beltner Road in Chums Corner.

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Interesting their website says the rail is disconnected from freight rail service. Maybe a section of rail is removed near Beltner Rd then?
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

~Z~ wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 8:39 pm
Interesting their website says the rail is disconnected from freight rail service. Maybe a section of rail is removed near Beltner Rd then?
They did cut a rail and install an "End of Track" sign near Beacon in TC, maybe that is what they are referring to?

I believe they did this initially for a culvert replacement project under the tracks over Miller Creek; must be permanent now?

LansingRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by LansingRailFan »

NS3322 wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 11:09 pm
~Z~ wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 8:39 pm
They did cut a rail and install an "End of Track" sign near Beacon in TC, maybe that is what they are referring to?

I believe they did this initially for a culvert replacement project under the tracks over Miller Creek; must be permanent now?
It’s not any more permanent than it was for the construction. But if the state can earn revenue this way, why not?

PS GLC hasn’t been to Petoskey in weeks

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

LansingRailFan wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 11:34 pm
Petoskey Plastics usually stages 10+ cars on the siding at Foreman. That's a months worth of cars for them. They use about 120 a year.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

The section of rail taken out past Beacon was put back in, and the end of track marker removed last year when MDOT high railed the line. They must have removed another stick somewhere else.

Funny the site mentioned this section is privately owned. Nope, we the taxpayers own it via MDOT.
CEO of the Waving Institute- teaching great wave forms.

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

AARR wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 6:59 am
LansingRailFan wrote:
Petoskey Plastics usually stages 10+ cars on the siding at Foreman. That's a months worth of cars for them. They use about 120 a year.
How many cars does Buzzi Unicem in Elmira usually get a year?

LansingRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by LansingRailFan »

NS3322 wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 12:28 pm
AARR wrote:
LansingRailFan wrote:
2023? Zero lmao

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Seems like from the video's I have watched maybe 3-5 per week. Much lower than the 20-40 per week that were projected when service resumed several years ago. The only time they came close to the projected numbers is when AURACO was being built and Buzzi had the contract to provide the cement.
NS3322 wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 12:28 pm
AARR wrote:
LansingRailFan wrote:

EWRice
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by EWRice »

Didn't someone have short lived railbikes on the Coopersville & Marne a few years ago?

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

This same girl did a GoFund campaign to raise money to put one in Tecumseh a few years ago and never made it past the fundraiser. Look at the prices on her website. Might be a neat one time thing to try, but I don't see repeat business. I give her one season before moving on. Wonder what GLC and/or MDOT make off this? One would think insurance alone would be quite costly for her?
CEO of the Waving Institute- teaching great wave forms.

NoviRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NoviRailfan »

According to a recent post, over half their reservations are filled.

"Following our recent news interview, we have gotten so much support from the public. We are just shy of being 50% booked for the season. Spots are filling up incredibly fast. "

I would think this has a lot more potential in TC than Tecumseh. TC is a destination vacation for people for both in-state and out-of-state visitor and this has the appeal of being something new and different even for regular visitors.