Amtrak cancelations this weekend

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
J T
Hates Supper

Re: Amtrak cancelations this weekend

Unread post by J T »

CSXBOY wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:12 pm
Nobody should be out unless you have a monster truck or a monster jeep to get through the snow.
Speak for yourself. I have a mid-size AWD SUV and had zero issues on the roads today. I was out shopping for mostly non-essentials, too. Because...I...could. :D
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

Schteinkuh
Railcam Terrorizer

Unread post by Schteinkuh »

Saturnalia wrote:
Fri Dec 23, 2022 9:02 am
I agree fully with why Amtrak canceled these trains, due to the myriad of issues mentioned above.

My point is that they shouldn’t have most of those issues, and be able to run a full service, even if potentially delayed. The fact that they’re still running four of the six Wolverines tells you that they’re confident enough to run trains, just not all of them given their current predicament of equipment, crews, etc
364 is stuck with mechanical issues in CUS and 354 isnt even spotted on the platform. Passengers are being left in the dark. How much worse is it going to get before it gets better? These jerk offs upstairs in Chicago and the MDOT offices will never be motivated to fix the problems until they're affected by it. Might as well scrap it all and start over.
According to all known laws of aviation, there is no way a bee should be able to fly. Its wings are too small to get its fat little body off the ground. The bee, of course, flies anyway because bees don't care what humans think is impossible.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

My Honda Fit, a small vehicle, handles surprisingly fine in the snow as long as I slow down.
J T wrote:
Fri Dec 23, 2022 8:32 pm
CSXBOY wrote:
Nobody should be out unless you have a monster truck or a monster jeep to get through the snow.
Speak for yourself. I have a mid-size AWD SUV and had zero issues on the roads today. I was out shopping for mostly non-essentials, too. Because...I...could. :D
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by chapmaja »

AARR wrote:
Sat Dec 24, 2022 7:06 am
My Honda Fit, a small vehicle, handles surprisingly fine in the snow as long as I slow down.
J T wrote:
Fri Dec 23, 2022 8:32 pm
CSXBOY wrote:
What a concept, slowing down in poor road conditions. Who would have thunk it.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by justalurker66 »

Too many people don't thunk. First snowfall seems to highlight the drivers that drive as if they have never seen snow. Crashes and slide offs. There are good roads that I specifically avoid due to the number of "first day of snow" accidents. I have seen one accident every 2-3 miles along the route on a "first day of snow" (and not just fender benders - one of the slide offs this year went through the porch on a house).

75 cars piled up in Ohio requiring a crane to clean up the mess. Who was thunking there? I-94 along the lakefront in Michigan has accidents in "good weather". Amtrak's line is just a couple of miles away.

As Billy Joel sang (1980)
And you told me not to drive
But I made it home alive
So you said that only proves that I'm insane

CSXBOY
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CSXBOY »

The crazy thing about all of this, is that by next weekend it will be feeling like early march in Michigan with temps rising to the 50s. People will never learn how to drive in the snow, it's 2022 people are always in a rush to get somewhere. That's why you see so many pileups on I 94 west of kzoo.