Amtrak through Dexter

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Amtrak through Dexter

Unread post by chapmaja »

I have noticed a couple times recently Amtrak has been running trains on the Michigan line with locomotives on both ends. I have not seen this in several years since they stopped using the cabbage car.

Today, through Dexter about 12:35 Amtrak came EB with what appeared to be 4610 leading, about 6 cars or so, and 4601 on the tail end. When and more importantly why did they go back to this process? It makes since if you have the equipment, so you don't have to turn power at Pontiac or Chicago.

Also, I noticed the same thing with the signal I have mentioned before.

For an EB Amtrak (didn't notice it with NS trains), the signal just west of Dexter will show red (for WB movements) as would be expected when an EB train is in the blocks approaching the signal. When the train passes the signal it would appear it should go green as the block is now clear, and for NS trains I recall that happening. Today's Amtrak did not change the signal from red to green until the train was at least at the crossings on the east side of Dexter, if not a bit farther. Any idea why?

Buster Manning
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Amtrak through Dexter

Unread post by Buster Manning »

Was told that some in-the-field testing is happening with one of those locos.....not sure what is being tested though (us mere operating employees wear mushroom hats)

coasterrider
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by coasterrider »

Buster Manning wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 2:25 pm
Was told that some in-the-field testing is happening with one of those locos.....not sure what is being tested though (us mere operating employees wear mushroom hats)
Heard its the 2 and updated cummings engine that was installed by Siemens. It involves twin turbos to allow much needed acceleration to allow then to shave time off the schedule. The fuel source? You dont wanna know. Feel sorry for the engineer that took the unit out yesterday. :)

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by justalurker66 »

coasterrider wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 8:18 pm
The fuel source? You dont wanna know. Feel sorry for the engineer that took the unit out yesterday. :)
Passenger toilets?

James Sofonia
Grand Traverse Dinner Train 1996

Unread post by James Sofonia »

chapmaja wrote:
Fri Dec 16, 2022 9:48 pm
I have noticed a couple times recently Amtrak has been running trains on the Michigan line with locomotives on both ends. I have not seen this in several years since they stopped using the cabbage car.
Is the end loco running, maybe by radio control?
coasterrider wrote:
The fuel source? You dont wanna know. Feel sorry for the engineer that took the unit out yesterday. :)
What fuel they run on should be talk able. Human waste can be turned into fuel but I doubt they can make enough.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

James Sofonia wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 9:42 am
chapmaja wrote:
coasterrider wrote:
What fuel they run on should be talk able. Human waste can be turned into fuel but I doubt they can make enough.
The rear-end units I believe are controlled by cables that run through each coach, directly connecting them via MU, versus being radio controlled DPU.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by chapmaja »

Amtrak 350 just came through Dexter. As has been happening recently, power on both ends. Different this time was a Charger 4125 I think, on the lead end, and a P42DC #55, on the tail end. Is this due to reliability issues with the Chargers this winter?

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Saturnalia wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 1:07 pm
James Sofonia wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 9:42 am
chapmaja wrote:
coasterrider wrote:
The rear-end units I believe are controlled by cables that run through each coach, directly connecting them via MU, versus being radio controlled DPU.
Correct, units at the other end are controlled via MU cables that travel the length of the train. Amtrak does not have any DPU equipped engines.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/