Amtrak 353 hits a trespasser in Birmingham

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Amtrak 353 hits a trespasser in Birmingham

Unread post by PatAzo »

All kidding aside a common tact for municipalities wanting to spur development is to skip sidewalk requirements and road improvements. The problem show up later but by then a tax base has developed. It might be time for the local government to look at pedestrian routes in the area and hey we built a school next to the railroad tracks...

But to expect there to be a policeman ready to respond with a moments notice to a trespassing call is unrealistic. Consider too the burden on a police department expecting them regulate the day to day behavior of the public without offending anyone or violating their rights. Living in a free society comes with responsibility. If I walk down the center of I-75 and get hit by a car was it MDOT's fault?

David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

Re: Amtrak 353 hits a trespasser in Birmingham

Unread post by David Collins »

PatAzo wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:03 am
…hey we built a school next to the railroad tracks...
I went to Elementary, Middle and high school in the same district as East Hills (the school we’re talking about), and I used to be TV crew for the board of education meetings.

One of the presentations presented to the board and the audience (these meetings are public and the meeting minutes are public), was by the district police liaison, who briefly brought up the situation with students walking down the tracks after school next to EHMS.

One of the board members asked if there was a resolution to the situation, from what I remember, CN Police are in constant contact with the school district, so if (god forbid) a shooting or some security incident were to happen and students started running across the tracks, or employees noticed a student walking down the tracks, CN Police knew what was going on.

One of the steps in the protocol (which IS publicly viewable) in case of a shooting or security situation is to run (to get away from the source), In my old high school (and the middle schools), there was a pull lever (like a fire alarm lever), that instead dispatches a large amount of law enforcement officers instead of firefighters, from what I understand, CN Police is notified as well if it happens at East Hills Middle School, since it’s right next to the tracks, so they can secure, and if need be, shut down the line.