Amtrak 353 hits a trespasser in Birmingham

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

Amtrak 353 hits a trespasser in Birmingham

Unread post by David Collins »

https://www.audacy.com/wwjnewsradio/new ... birmingham

This story is still developing, but this is another reason why CN needs to make the public access road from Opdyke Road to Troy Transit Center PRIVATE, and yes, I stand by that even though I'm a railfan from Bloomfield Hills (where the northern part of this road starts).

Manistique
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Amtrak 353 hits a trespasser in Birmingham

Unread post by Manistique »

What public access road from Opdyke, David?

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Unread post by DaveO »

And how would that prevent trespassing if such a road existed there?
Edit: For anyone looking, the incident was reported to be close to Derby Middle School.

Manistique
Railroadfan...fan

DaveO wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:42 am
And how would that prevent trespassing if such a road existed there?
Edit: For anyone looking, the incident was reported to be close to Derby Middle School.
It happened around the Charing Cross signals, between Charing Cross Road and Big Beaver, a mile or so north of Troy Station, next to the Springdale Golf Course. The track is very elevated there.

DaveO

Unread post by DaveO »

so much for media accuracy :(

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by justalurker66 »

DaveO wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:15 am
so much for media accuracy :(
Did you read the link? The media reported a train stopped at a location with a tarp covering a portion of tracks and police surrounding the train. It did not state why the train was stopped. The article did not state that the train hit a trespasser let alone where that trespasser was struck. The location given was where the train was stopped.

David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

Manistique wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:23 am
The gravel road that starts next to the signal case at Opdyke/Kensington Road, yes. I should point out, I have heard in the past that they (CN, the Cities of Birmingham and Bloomfield Hills) have been discussing about putting up a fence along the tracks. I personally don't think that will get anywhere, but if they don't want these incidents to continue, that's the only way they can prevent them.
Last edited by David Collins on Sun Sep 25, 2022 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

justalurker66 wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:18 am
Did you read the link? The media reported a train stopped at a location with a tarp covering a portion of tracks and police surrounding the train. It did not state why the train was stopped. The article did not state that the train hit a trespasser let alone where that trespasser was struck. The location given was where the train was stopped.
I must've not understood it right, my bad.

Buster Manning
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Buster Manning »

I'll confirm ( I spoke to the engineer)....the train hit a trespasser....right there by the middle school....CN has a police force in the area....it would be nice if they started patrolling the r-o-w along here from Opdyke Rd. to the Royal Oak station to keep Joe Q. Public off the property as a lot of people think that is a hiking-biking trail instead of the private property that it is--just like the morons in the AA area along the Michigan Line

Manistique
Railroadfan...fan

David Collins wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:50 am
Manistique wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:23 am
The gravel road that starts next to the signal case at Opdyke/Kensington Road, yes. I should point out, I have heard in the past that they (CN, the Cities of Birmingham and Bloomfield Hills) have been discussing about putting up a fence along the tracks. I personally don't think that will get anywhere, but if they don't want these incidents to continue, that's the only way they can prevent them.
That is not public access, David. It is private railroad property. But, as Buster Manning points out above, a lot of people treat the railroad's maintenance road along the tracks between there and Birmingham as a public trail/walking path and trespass. They used to close the gate right there and lock it but don't seem to anymore. I have seen Bloomfield Hills police send a car down there, I presume when a passing train crew reports trespassers.

David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

Manistique wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:01 pm
That is not public access, David. It is private railroad property. But, as Buster Manning points out above, a lot of people treat the railroad's maintenance road along the tracks between there and Birmingham as a public trail/walking path and trespass. They used to close the gate right there and lock it but don't seem to anymore. I have seen Bloomfield Hills police send a car down there, I presume when a passing train crew reports trespassers.
Not from what I've been told by Bloomfield Hills police, they said the road is public property, I don't remember the reason why it's not private (I was told this back in 2020).

LansingRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by LansingRailFan »

justalurker66 wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:18 am
quote=DaveO post_id=503232 time=1664115339 user_id=9943]so much for media accuracy :(
[/quote]

Clearly he never read the article lmao

Manistique
Railroadfan...fan

David Collins wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:21 pm
Manistique wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:01 pm
Not from what I've been told by Bloomfield Hills police, they said the road is public property, I don't remember the reason why it's not private (I was told this back in 2020).
Interesting, David. The Hills Police should know what is public and private in their jurisdiction. They are pretty good.

But if it is the path I am thinking of and is public access, I wonder public access to what? All it accesses is the CN right-of-way an the path is right there alongside the track. There is nothing public at the end of it as it just continues as the CN access road paralleling the tracks. Once you go through the gate you are on CN property. As a matter of fact, to get to the gate you go on CN property.

Next time you see a CN policeman parked there ask him and let us know. I bet he disagrees with the Hills police.

Buster Manning
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Buster Manning »

There is nothing along the stretch from Opdyke Rd. to Royal Oak that the "path" in question connects to that would need public access along the tracks....and the only reason the path has a well used look to it is account of the power line company using it to access the power line for maintenance and a pole replacement project that happened a few years ago, along with the company that was used in the demo of the Trowbridge Rd. bridge a while back.....and half the time, the local authorities have NO idea regarding property lines involving railroads....next time, ask the CN police for clarification

DaveO

Unread post by DaveO »

Yes I did read the link, but when Manistique said it was near Charing Cross, I believed him over the media.
Obviously wrong, but I still will believe in what Manistique states over the media.

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

Most counties have their GIS mapping on line. It will show the listed owner and show approximate property lines.

Trespassing laws vary. Agricultural land laws are different than land in a municipality. Often in a city you can't be cited unless the land was posted or the owner told you to leave and you didn't. The police have more pressing things to do than bird dog the railroad tracks.

Struggen
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Struggen »

I vaguely remember something about the old Charing Cross Station property being public access but not the road parallel to the tracks. We used to get chased off it all the time back when I was a teenager using it as a short cut.

David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

After having conversations with Bloomfield Township Police, CN police, and looking over some maps, this is what I’ve found out:

The dirt road is private property, which is no surprise.

What I found really interesting is that any land next to the road is considered public. So technically, the Charing Cross stations’ lot and the platform itself is public property.

There is a CN No Trespassing sign hung on a tree that’s next to a path in the Charing Cross dirt lot that leads to the access road, that sign is essentially saying that No Unauthorized Persons may use this path, since it leads to the access road, which is private.

Personally, seeing all of the people (and even sometimes kids from East Hills Middle School) walking down that road (and sometimes even on the tracks) when a train is coming, it makes me quite upset. I totally agree with what Buster said in his post, CN does indeed have a police force in the area (one of the officers I happen to know), I’ve been at Charing Cross probably a dozen times and I’ve seen CN police patrolling the area maybe 2 times.

Pardon me while I rant here: CNP’s response time to reports on this stuff reported by train crews is absolutely atrocious, If I saw someone walking down the tracks when I know a train is coming and/or is close, I would call the Bloomfield Township Police, BTPD is out there in 5 minutes tops with lights and sirens on, and CNP may show up once these people are long gone with no lights or sirens, or, they may never show up. They really need to do something to fix their response time, especially if a train is coming.

Quick Disclaimer on what I just said: I call BTPD if I know someone is in danger of actually getting hit, since CN Police doesn’t respond quick enough.

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

It's surprising the public in an affluent area like Birmingham Township are so devoid of education and individual responsibility that they need police with lights and sirens to warn them when a train is coming. How do they keep from being run over by cars crossing the street?
Last edited by PatAzo on Mon Nov 14, 2022 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chip
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Chip »

PatAzo wrote:
Mon Nov 14, 2022 5:33 pm
It's surprising the public in an affluent area like Bingham Township are so devoid of education and individual responsibility that they need police with lights and sirens to warn them when a train is coming. How do they keep from being run over by cars crossing the street?
pay someone to do it for them