HSR to Michigan? HSR alliance news

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
dalek ling
Railroadfan...fan

HSR to Michigan? HSR alliance news

Unread post by dalek ling »

So I saw an article that the High Speed Rail Aliance and a few government agencies like MDOT are thinking on making a HSR line from Chicago to Toronto. Which in Michigan will go between Toledo and Detroit. Here is the article. https://www.hsrail.org/220-mph-high-speed-rail-midwest
The 15 year old railfan from Michigan :P And the only one who believes in A2TC
Youtube- Dalek Ling
Instagram- dalekling1212

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Re: HSR to Michigan? HSR alliance news

Unread post by Ypsi »

This looks to be about a 10 year old article. The route to Detroit makes little sense and acquiring the land to do any of this will doom the project from the start, not to mention you are missing huge existing Amtrak markets. Fort Wayne does not presently have service, but . Their map seems to show use of some existing lines, but other than stating that it must be grade separated they seem to have not put into thought how much that actually costs to do or acquire the land to do. There are areas where you pass over 5-10 roads in a one mile area in many cities, the only way around this is building over or under with the tracks or the roads. Ann Arbor had more Amtrak riders than the ENTIRE state of Indiana in 2021, so routing the mainline to go from Chicago to Toronto anywhere other than the SEM area makes little sense in the long run as you miss HUGE Amtrak markets along that corridor. This study looks like a money grabber with little to no association with Amtrak or other service providers.

Sources:

https://www.amtrak.com/content/dam/proj ... IGAN21.pdf
https://www.amtrak.com/content/dam/proj ... IANA21.pdf
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Ypsi wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 4:00 pm
This study looks like a money grabber with little to no association with Amtrak or other service providers.
Wait, there are studies that AREN'T money grabbers? :lol:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

It depends on your vision of the future. Construction at that scale would be hugely expensive. If the public wants it they can have it. It's a matter of what they give up to get it.

dalek ling
Railroadfan...fan

Ypsi wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 4:00 pm
This looks to be about a 10 year old article. The route to Detroit makes little sense and acquiring the land to do any of this will doom the project from the start, not to mention you are missing huge existing Amtrak markets. Fort Wayne does not presently have service, but . Their map seems to show use of some existing lines, but other than stating that it must be grade separated they seem to have not put into thought how much that actually costs to do or acquire the land to do. There are areas where you pass over 5-10 roads in a one mile area in many cities, the only way around this is building over or under with the tracks or the roads. Ann Arbor had more Amtrak riders than the ENTIRE state of Indiana in 2021, so routing the mainline to go from Chicago to Toronto anywhere other than the SEM area makes little sense in the long run as you miss HUGE Amtrak markets along that corridor. This study looks like a money grabber with little to no association with Amtrak or other service providers.

Sources:

https://www.amtrak.com/content/dam/proj ... IGAN21.pdf
https://www.amtrak.com/content/dam/proj ... IANA21.pdf
They did say this line would connect Fort Wayne and much of northern Indiana. As for with Amtrak 🤷‍♂️ Anything is possible in a Biden America lol
Youtube- Dalek Ling
Instagram- dalekling1212

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Unread post by DaveO »

You think the Republicans running Indiana are going to agree to this?
Even if someone else fully paid for it?
You clearly don't understand politics and at your age it's better to just keep your cheap shot politics out of your posts.

dalek ling
Railroadfan...fan

DaveO wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:38 pm
You clearly don't understand politics and at your age it's better to just keep your cheap shot politics out of your posts.
Who said I was being political. I was just sharing something. :roll:
Youtube- Dalek Ling
Instagram- dalekling1212

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Unread post by DaveO »

dalek ling wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:43 pm
DaveO wrote:
"Anything is possible in a Biden America lol"
That was a cheap political shot and it's not the first one you have done.
You're not funny. Get a job and experience the real world before you delve into politics.
If I was your parent, I would be disappointed that a 13 year old has decided to invoke politics in their activities.

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

Biden, Trump, Sanders, DeSantis, Libertarian's or the next round of political hacks doesn't matter. They will all banter around election year sound bites to ill informed voters who can't see further into the future than Google, Fox News and CNN want them too. Now that was political but to be fair equally disdainful to all sides.

None of our politicians will be around long enough to see a project like that through. If (when) the public needs and demands HSR it will get built. Like the interstate system it will have a 20+ year horizon and need a financing plan. The public will have to decide what it wants to give up. Private cars and I-94? The auto industry says the day is coming when the average person won't own a car and you will rent them from the automakers. Maybe then.

dalek ling
Railroadfan...fan

DaveO wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:49 pm
dalek ling wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:43 pm
DaveO wrote:
"Anything is possible in a Biden America lol"
That was a cheap political shot and it's not the first one you have done.
You're not funny. Get a job and experience the real world before you delve into politics.
If I was your parent, I would be disappointed that a 13 year old has decided to invoke politics in their activities.
Ok first of, you don’t know my parents. They possibly agree with me on what I am saying, second, I don’t why you are getting so triggered over 8 words. 8 God darn words! Your just like everyone on Facebook. See something you don’t like, see that he is a kid and crap on them
If you don’t like what I post or say since it’s my opinion then ignore it. It’s easy :lol:
Youtube- Dalek Ling
Instagram- dalekling1212

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Anytime politics comes up it never turns out good. Please discontinue with anything political.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Decade old article + unneeded political crap = a need for Beavis.

This thread sucks; locking, thank you, drive thru.

Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com