Muskegon long term goals include Amtrak…?

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Muskegon long term goals include Amtrak…?

Unread post by MQT1223 »

https://www.mlive.com/news/muskegon/20 ... goals.html

Apparently Muskegon is flirting with the idea of having a Chicago connection involving either busses or rail.

I just can’t see Amtrak even remotely considering this at all. Even though Holland isn’t that far, you’d almost need a totally separate train to run north, such as making P372/373 a permanent fixture that terminates/orginates at Muskegon instead of an extra Holiday train. Only other way I could see it work is you utilized the Wye in Waverly to make the Pere Marquette work in this case, an up and back scenario…

Not to mention all of the work that would be needed to make Michigan Shore suitable for passenger rail. You’d probably need to have a regular operator at the swing bridge in Grand Haven as well, despite that bridge seeing little to no train traffic otherwise.

Could Grand Haven function as an intermediate stop in between Holland and Muskegon?

I think the planners in Muskegon are a little TOO ambitious when it comes to the idea of having passenger rail up there.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: Muskegon long term goals include Amtrak…?

Unread post by AARR »

The paper railroad, Muskegon Shoreline (MUSH) which recently acquired the lines north of Holland from G&W, have declined to spend any money on this project. They will invest all their energy and resources on building the freight traffic. viewtopic.php?f=24&t=38700 . It will be up to the Federal or State if they want to waste taxpayer dollars on the project.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

Considering the word train is used basically once in the article and it’s in the line “by train or bus” talking about a connection to Chicago, I would guess they will look at the cost of having a separate train and settle on an Ambus to GR or Holland connecting with the Pere Marquette. A separate connection would really only hit muskegon and grand haven (grand haven being within reasonable driving distance of Holland anyway) which would either require a separate crew/ train or add 1-2 hours to the GR trip making it not time worth it.
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

GRHC
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GRHC »

Back in the day there used to be a Muskegon / Holland passenger train.
This is what it looked like on its final run.

The train would come in from Muskegon to Holland in the morning make its connection with the Pere Marquette passenger train from Grand Rapids to Chicago. They would then park the lone passenger car on a siding in front of the Holland depot (I remember seeing this passenger car when I was a young child) then at night they would reverse the process.
Attachments
E631D994-E597-4A34-86F8-680FEF1E71E7.jpeg
Last edited by GRHC on Thu Aug 25, 2022 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BL2-1843
Howell Yardmaster

Unread post by BL2-1843 »

As you can see by the photo, there were a few GP7s in the 5800s and GP9s in the 6000s with steam generators in them for this service, and others out of state. Some BL2 units in the 1840 series used to work this job as well.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

MQT1223 wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 7:58 am

Apparently Muskegon is flirting with the idea of having a Chicago connection involving either busses or rail.
It'll only be "buses." It will never be rail.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

A bus is the best option. Lease one, hire a couple drivers, set up a ticketing scheme and your in business. Minimal capital up front. Use a charter service when your bus goes down for maintenance or a driver is sick.

To get to Chicago, Holland is the best connection. From a transportation prospective Muskegon to Grand Rapids would better serve the people of Muskegon.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

PatAzo wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 9:12 pm
From a transportation prospective Muskegon to Grand Rapids would better serve the people of Muskegon.
Odd that there isn't already a bus that runs between Muskegon and Detroit via I-96.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

Plannerdad
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Plannerdad »

Or combine it with the proposed WM Express, between GR and Holland. The plan would be to start with buses and evolve into rail, depending on ridership, cost, funding, railroad concurrence, etc., etc.

GRHC
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GRHC »

BL2-1843 wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:08 am
As you can see by the photo, there were a few GP7s in the 5800s and GP9s in the 6000s with steam generators in them for this service, and others out of state. Some BL2 units in the 1840 series used to work this job as well.
I would have to agree if they were going to do it a bus connection is how it would be done. It sure would be nice to see passenger trains in Muskegon again like the one in the pic at the Depot in downtown Muskegon.
Attachments
15FD3FCC-A027-400E-9B36-25A3AC00E087.jpeg

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

J T wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 12:30 pm
MQT1223 wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 7:58 am

It'll only be "buses." It will never be rail.
Obviously, but this is Railroadfan not BusBusfan. I can't see it happening either but they have some sky high politicians up there.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

dalek ling
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by dalek ling »

http://www.marp.org/?page_id=29 this is a map from the Michigan Association of Railroad Passenger. Of the states vision of Passenger Rail. It also include the Coast to Coast line, A2TC, and extension to Petoskey, Detroit to Bay city, Detroit to Port Huron, GR to Kalamazoo, and Detroit to Toledo.
The 15 year old railfan from Michigan :P And the only one who believes in A2TC
Youtube- Dalek Ling
Instagram- dalekling1212