Amtrak Problem

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Amtrak Problem

Unread post by chapmaja »

As I sit and should be studying at the Dexter Library I pulled up the Track a train feature from Amtrak.

353 appears to be sitting in Wayne with some sort of problem. When I first looked they were due in AA at noon. ( 1 hr 40 late), now they are due at 1:45 (3 hr 25 min late).

Does anyone know what problem they are having?

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Re: Amtrak Problem

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

353 Vehicle collision at or near Merriman Road crossing. Service disruption for now.

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Unread post by DaveO »

From Amtrak Service Alerts & Notices
Wolverine Train 353 is currently stopped west of Dearborn (DER) due to a disabled vehicle on the tracks.

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by chapmaja »

Thanks, wondering if they hit something. Looks like the EB managed to get by the scene.

DaveO

Unread post by DaveO »

Trains 350 and 355 apparently are canceled due to equipment shortage August 29-September 16.
What plans does Chicago Maintenance have for this winter?
We know how well the Chargers and Horizon cars like winter.
About to find out how well the Venture cars hold up?

Time to read about someone pointing out how well the engines and cars hold up in Florida and California.
The same people that don't bother to note the lack of cold and snowy winters in those areas.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

DaveO wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 3:48 pm
Trains 350 and 355 apparently are canceled due to equipment shortage August 29-September 16.
The States literally bought Amtrak tons of new equipment to keep the Midwest trains running, and ostensibly, upgraded with additional frequencies. Now they can't even run the regular timetable?

Heads need to roll at Amtrak!
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

DaveO

Unread post by DaveO »

The generally accepted storyline is management wants to cancel the long distance trains.
When they keep 3 Superliners on the PM but sometimes send the long distance trains out short a coach, I more and more believe it.
But the state supported trains out of Chicago are suffering equipment issues also.
If there is someone actually in charge in Chicago, they need to make them no longer in charge.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Something tells me those Venture cars with the sliding doors and retractable steps aren't going to like the snow, much how the Horizons didn't, as-built.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Unread post by NSSD70ACe »

DaveO wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 4:05 pm
The generally accepted storyline is management wants to cancel the long distance trains.
When they keep 3 Superliners on the PM but sometimes send the long distance trains out short a coach, I more and more believe it.
But the state supported trains out of Chicago are suffering equipment issues also.
If there is someone actually in charge in Chicago, they need to make them no longer in charge.
Believe there was a position open for Superintendent in Chicago recently, but I don’t know how much authority they have.
:roll:

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

DaveO

Unread post by DaveO »

364 today/365 tomorrow cancelled due to crewing issue.

edit: as noted just below, they deadheaded the consist on 354
so 365 not cancelled today
Last edited by DaveO on Mon Aug 29, 2022 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

coasterrider
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by coasterrider »

365/354 combined out of Chi this evening.

Dowagiac Train Dude
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Dowagiac Train Dude »

The article on WWMT says they have suspended service until September 17th because of equipment shortages and manpower issues.

https://wwmt.com/news/local/amtralk-tra ... ion-travel

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

DaveO wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 4:05 pm
Here's what Amtrak says about long distance trains. "Long-distance service requires a disproportionately high share of Amtrak’s federal funding because it accounts for the vast majority of Amtrak’s operating losses and the federal government is the only source of funding for nearly all of its capital costs."

https://www.amtrak.com/content/dam/proj ... rmance.pdf

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Dowagiac Train Dude wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 2:28 pm
The article on WWMT says they have suspended service until September 17th because of equipment shortages and manpower issues.
But...but...we need MORE passenger trains running EVERYWHERE!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

Ben Higdon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Ben Higdon »

Saturnalia wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 3:53 pm
DaveO wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 3:48 pm
The States literally bought Amtrak tons of new equipment to keep the Midwest trains running, and ostensibly, upgraded with additional frequencies. Now they can't even run the regular timetable?

Heads need to roll at Amtrak!
Who - you mean the geniuses that got performance bonuses last year? They'll get replaced, then the next round of schmucks will get performance bonuses for temporarily reversing the current S show. I've always been an advocate of the concept of Amtrak, but it doesn't seem to ever get where it should be.

KenB
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by KenB »

Now how can Amtrak have equipment problems? They received new locomotives and received a whole bunch of new passenger cars for Midwest service, which we paid for. I think the main problem is management. Too bad the State does not hold the poor Amtrak management accountable.

NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Unread post by NSSD70ACe »

KenB wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:07 am
Now how can Amtrak have equipment problems? They received new locomotives and received a whole bunch of new passenger cars for Midwest service, which we paid for. I think the main problem is management. Too bad the State does not hold the poor Amtrak management accountable.
Simple: new cars aren’t in service yet and the old ones are breaking down faster than Chicago Mechanical can fix them. Back ordered parts, unavailable parts, shortage of carmen, etc.

Not everything is a management issue. I would agree that Amtrak mgmt can and should be improved but this likely isn’t “just” a management issue.
:roll:

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Took 365 from KAL to CHI on Monday. We stopped at Dowagiac, Niles, and New Buffalo. I don't think the Blue Water normally stops at Dowagiac, they said we were going to make extra stops due to 350 and 355 being canceled.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/