Chesaning RR Crossing

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
railroader and son
Railroadfan...fan

Chesaning RR Crossing

Unread post by railroader and son »

I pass over the M57 GLC RR Crossing many time's a week. Noticed Friday that this exempt crossing with only cross bucks the last several year's,now has Yeild signs added. Storage moves north of Chesaning again? Or just some extra Mdot legal reasons? Just curious that's all.

Tom49801
Bangor Webcam Master

Re: Chesaning RR Crossing

Unread post by Tom49801 »

railroader and son wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 7:21 am
I pass over the M57 GLC RR Crossing many time's a week. Noticed Friday that this exempt crossing with only cross bucks the last several year's,now has Yeild signs added. Storage moves north of Chesaning again? Or just some extra Mdot legal reasons? Just curious that's all.
From a Google search:

If service on the rail line has been abandoned, or fewer than five trains per year use the tracks and travel at speeds of 10 mph or less — the state can exempt vehicles from having to stop (buses, etc) at the tracks when no trains are present. In fact, a train can't proceed across an exempt crossing unless a law enforcement officer is directing traffic at the site or a railroad employee is on the ground warning motorists. "The installation or presence of an exempt sign does not relieve a driver of the duty to use due care."

railroader and son
Railroadfan...fan

I just found it odd they added the Yeild signs this week after no signs for several year's.

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by chapmaja »

railroader and son wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 2:36 pm
I just found it odd they added the Yeild signs this week after no signs for several year's.
Do they still have the exempt signs up as well, or are they gone and now it is only the yield signs?

BnOEngr
Captain Obvious

Unread post by BnOEngr »

MUTCD standards require either a "Yield" or "Stop" sign at crossings displaying standard crossbucks with no lights.

railroader and son
Railroadfan...fan

I'm on vacation this week and haven't been across. Last Friday the Exempt sign was still up with the Yeild.