Unit trains on the Plymouth Sub

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
CSXBOY
Railroadfan...fan

Unit trains on the Plymouth Sub

Unread post by CSXBOY »

So I have a quick question regarding operations on the Plymouth Sub. Do grain trains and other bulk trains on the Plymouth Sub only go to and from Webberville, grand ledge and fowlerville? Is there any that go to and from Grand Rapids? Just curious. I am going to be in Lake Odessa all day tomorrow and Saturday visiting a buddy at his lakehouse and was hoping to get a train at least going down the dipper.
Last edited by CSXBOY on Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Re: Unit trains on the Plymouth Sub

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

Hi there, the major elevators that receive and load unit grain trains are at Webberville, Grand Ledge, and Newaygo on the MQT north of Grand Rapids, not Fowlerville. Newaygo hasn’t received many trains in recent years but you might get lucky. MQT just brought a 90 car loaded train down and I think it’s still sitting in Wyoming yard waiting for power to arrive from either Rouge or Barr. Perhaps that will happen today or tomorrow for a Friday or Saturday grain eastbound run.

CSXBOY
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CSXBOY »

Oh my. Wow perfect timing! Hope that’s the case. Usually grain trains I see on the Plymouth sub are like you said go to and from grand ledge and Webberville

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

Most of the product from MAC In Newaygo is used with a couple hundred miles and leaves by truck. MAC's people say there are incentives to use agricultural products within the state and only train load shipments they are doing is "excess" material. They loaded two in the last few weeks which is unusual.

CSXBOY
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CSXBOY »

Well it turns out me and my buddy got G125 from Grand Rapids today in Lake Odessa. Didn’t get the shot I wanted. But I got it. Thank you for the heads up

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

CSXBOY wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:25 pm
Well it turns out me got G125 from Grand Rapids today in Lake Odessa. Didn’t get the shot I wanted. But I got it. Thank you for the heads up
Yeah, but how was the lake?
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

CSXBOY
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CSXBOY »

Gorgeous. We’re about to go jet skiing and kayak in a little bit. 😉😉