Muskegon Abandonment

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
GRHC
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Muskegon Abandonment

Unread post by GRHC »

In the 1890s the Lake Harbor railroad ran approximately 4 miles from the end of the South Horn spur to the resort of Lake Harbor on Mona Lake.
The Lake Harbor would run their trains from the resort all the way into downtown Muskegon via trackage rights on the South Horn spur.
Attachments
F444ACBA-45F0-469A-9471-4EB9720DBAE2.png

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

MQT1223 wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:49 pm

My phone was acting up on my end at one point and it was froze on the "post a reply" screen. I later went back and posted again. Only now am I realizing that I accidentally posted duplicate threads, so that part is my fault.

I would delete my duplicate comment but it doesn't appear I can, or I don't know how. I'd appreciate if you'd remove the rest of the unnecessary comments afterwards since I guess no one has anything else better to do but act childish.
It's not acting childish, it's called a sense of humor, and it's obvious that some people here are greatly lacking of it. Learn how to identify lighthearted humor and have fun with it. :)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Steve B wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:57 pm
1900 atlas.

https://quod.lib.umich.edu/m/micounty/3 ... e&size=400
ferry.png
Excellent map. It's hard to believe tracks ever went that far.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

LansingRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by LansingRailFan »

:lol: :P :wink: :mrgreen: :lol:
AARR wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:00 am
I missed it too. It is taken care of.
MQT1223 wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:49 pm
My phone was acting up on my end at one point and it was froze on the "post a reply" screen. I later went back and posted again. Only now am I realizing that I accidentally posted duplicate threads, so that part is my fault.

I would delete my duplicate comment but it doesn't appear I can, or I don't know how. I'd appreciate if you'd remove the rest of the unnecessary comments afterwards since I guess no one has anything else better to do but act childish.

GRHC
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GRHC »

If they leave the switch in on the main and leave a short stub track then technically the Horn Spur branch lives on.
If they do remove the switch then the branch is dead and gone.
It is really sad to see this line go it it had such a rich history and was definitely a part of my own history.

Note: MQT1223 i’m sorry for my behavior but really it’s not my fault I just fell in with a bad crowd (JT SD80MAC LRF) lol
Attachments
BC8350AD-3BA8-4977-BF77-ABFF46A98D02.jpeg
Last edited by GRHC on Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:04 pm, edited 6 times in total.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

The switch for the South Horn branch has already been removed, I believe.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

EWRice
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by EWRice »

GR H & C wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:53 pm
If they leave the switch in on the main and leave a short stub track then technically the Horn Spur branch lives on.
If they do remove the switch then the branch is dead and gone.
It is really sad to see this line go it it had such a rich history and was definitely a part of my own history.

Note: MQT1223 i’m sorry for my behavior but really it’s not my fault I just fell in with a bad crowd (JT SD80MAC LRF) lol
http://railroadfan.com/phpbb/download/f ... &mode=view
Switch was removed last year before the tie project.

EWRice
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by EWRice »

20220624_181153.jpg
There's your ferry slip as of Friday night.

GRHC
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GRHC »

That is sad to hear and thank you for posting that information. Thanks for posting that awesome pic I could definitely tell where that picture was taken at given the profile of the wall there in the channel and how the wall is angled there. Does anybody remember the Santa Claus train they ran in downtown Muskegon I do believe the train originated on the Horn spur branch and continued onto the main that paralleled West and East Western Ave.
Sometime between 1987 and 1989 at about 3:30’ish in the morning I stumbled upon this locomotive (now on the C&M) sitting on a siding in downtown Muskegon. It was idling with a guy in the cab so I went up to the engine and he invited me in the cab. He told me that he was warming up the engine for the Santa train. Thank you SD80 MAC for also posting a reply.
Attachments
1469912C-A6EA-4CFA-B01A-4F905B968765.jpeg
1469912C-A6EA-4CFA-B01A-4F905B968765.jpeg (42.69 KiB) Viewed 5661 times

EWRice
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by EWRice »

GR H & C wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:42 pm
That is sad to hear and thank you for posting that information. Thanks for posting that awesome pic I could definitely tell where that picture was taken at given the profile of the wall there in the channel and how the wall is angled there. Does anybody remember the Santa Claus train they ran in downtown Muskegon I do believe the train originated on the Horn spur branch and continued onto the main that paralleled West and East Western Ave.
Sometime between 1987 and 1989 at about 3:30’ish in the morning I stumbled upon this locomotive (now on the C&M) sitting on a siding in downtown Muskegon. It was idling with a guy in the cab so I went up to the engine and he invited me in the cab. He told me that he was warming up the engine for the Santa train. Thank you SD80 MAC for also posting a reply.
Probably Dave Stroebe or Brad Anderson in the cab.

Muskegonrailfan89
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Muskegonrailfan89 »

I grew up in this area and went to Bluffton School in the early 90's historically the train ran all the way to the Muskegon channel....

When I was a kid CSX would run just past the Paper Mill SD Warren and cross Lakeshore Drive at Cottage Grove...

I recall several times over the years as a kid watching the train cross the street while switching out cars for the mill.

Beautiful photos by the way!