Secretary of Transportation to visit LSRC 6/1/2022

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
LansingRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

Secretary of Transportation to visit LSRC 6/1/2022

Unread post by LansingRailFan »

WNEM Ch. 5 is reporting that Secretary of Transportation Pete Buttigeg will visit LSRC today to promote the $1.2T transportation bill.

Your personal politics aside, this is great PR for LSRC, short-line railroads in general and the rail business in particular.

Kudos to LSRC for the great job they continue to do!

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: Secretary of Transportation to visit LSRC 6/1/2022

Unread post by AARR »

The railfan in me likes to see LSRC accomplishments
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

LansingRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/ ... lr05nzjh0z

Bro dropped some grants on some players.

Congratulations to GLC and everyone’s favorite WMRR!

atrainguy60
Saginaw Sub Foamer

Unread post by atrainguy60 »

LansingRailFan wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:39 am
https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/ ... lr05nzjh0z

Bro dropped some grants on some players.

Congratulations to GLC and everyone’s favorite WMRR!
The article says part of the WM grant will be for rebuilding approximately 5.6 miles of track, in addition to track improvements elsewhere for increased speeds and what-not. Does that mean WM will be relaying over 5 miles of track on the right of way through Lawrence, or is it saying it's rebuilding their currently existing track?

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Can't see the article, but 5.6 miles of track eh? That's really close to the length of their new Hamilton NorthWestern railroad.

Update: here's a free article: https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/mic ... -railways/
About WMRR: The West Michigan Railroad Co. will receive up to $8.7 million to fund infrastructure improvements on approximately 10 miles of West Michigan Railroad (WMR) in Southwest Michigan. The project elements include rail and crosstie replacements, reconstructed roadbeds, bridge and turnout repairs, upgrade and replacement of two at-grade crossings, and rebuilding approximately 5.6 miles of track. The improvements to existing track will upgrade portions of the line from 5 mph excepted track to at least FRA Class 2 speeds up to 25 mph and ensure the line can continue to operate 286,000-pound railcars. The Class III WMR and Michigan DOT will provide a 35 percent match.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

Dowagiac Train Dude
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Dowagiac Train Dude »

~Z~ wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 12:43 pm
Can't see the article, but 5.6 miles of track eh? That's really close to the length of their new Hamilton NorthWestern railroad.

Update: here's a free article: https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/mic ... -railways/
About WMRR: The West Michigan Railroad Co. will receive up to $8.7 million to fund infrastructure improvements on approximately 10 miles of West Michigan Railroad (WMR) in Southwest Michigan. The project elements include rail and crosstie replacements, reconstructed roadbeds, bridge and turnout repairs, upgrade and replacement of two at-grade crossings, and rebuilding approximately 5.6 miles of track. The improvements to existing track will upgrade portions of the line from 5 mph excepted track to at least FRA Class 2 speeds up to 25 mph and ensure the line can continue to operate 286,000-pound railcars. The Class III WMR and Michigan DOT will provide a 35 percent match.
I wonder if that 10 miles would include their Hartford operation (4 miles of track I believe) and the new Hamilton operation that has the other 6 miles of track. I could be wrong but those two combined are close to that approximate 10 miles that WMR operates.

LansingRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

Dowagiac Train Dude wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:37 pm
~Z~ wrote:

I wonder if that 10 miles would include their Hartford operation (4 miles of track I believe) and the new Hamilton operation that has the other 6 miles of track. I could be wrong but those two combined are close to that approximate 10 miles that WMR operates.
WMRR and Hamilton Northwestern are two separate railroads. This grant applies to only WMRR operation.

Dowagiac Train Dude
Railroadfan...fan

LansingRailFan wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:44 pm
Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:37 pm
~Z~ wrote:

WMRR and Hamilton Northwestern are two separate railroads. This grant applies to only WMRR operation.
Thank you very much for that info. Where is their approximate 10 miles of track located? I thought the Hartford section was only 4 miles.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

10 miles from Hartford would end between Lawrence and Paw Paw. I think they call it Tea Dome or something like that. They warehouse there got the last carload of produce before the track was removed.
Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:00 pm
Thank you very much for that info. Where is their approximate 10 miles of track located? I thought the Hartford section was only 4 miles.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Dowagiac Train Dude
Railroadfan...fan

AARR wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:18 pm
10 miles from Hartford would end between Lawrence and Paw Paw. I think they call it Tea Dome or something like that. They warehouse there got the last carload of produce before the track was removed.
If that is the case then it sounds like they are expecting to get some customers in the Lawrence area. That warehouse is to the East of the Teapot Dome closer to Paw Paw. Those tracks through there have been torn up for a while now. I am sure the residence on Lake Cora will be thrilled to have the tracks come back through their lake front properties. 😆

LansingRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:32 pm
AARR wrote:
If that is the case then it sounds like they are expecting to get some customers in the Lawrence area. That warehouse is to the East of the Teapot Dome closer to Paw Paw. Those tracks through there have been torn up for a while now. I am sure the residence on Lake Cora will be thrilled to have the tracks come back through their lake front properties. 😆
I’d gladly buy a couple and host a VRF cam at my new WMRR Lake Cora Depot Bed and Breakfast featuring a menu consisting only of French Dips and free Absinthe shots if the train goes by.

Dowagiac Train Dude
Railroadfan...fan

I’d gladly buy a couple and host a VRF cam at my new WMRR Lake Cora Depot Bed and Breakfast featuring a menu consisting only of French Dips and free Absinthe shots if the train goes by.
I am in, it’s only 25 minutes from my house.

Jim_c
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Jim_c »

LRF, I agree!!! Teapot Dome is too far east. I would be surprised if they went past Lawrence. IF they ever did want to go back to Paw Paw I'm sure the Lake Cora NIMBYs would pitch a fit.
Trails to Rails. Put the track back.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

So much for that bike path. :lol:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

David Lang
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by David Lang »

Bike path? Who needs a bike path when you can have a railroad instead?! :-)

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Use some of the funds to both relay the railroad and create a bike path alongside the tracks :)
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

GRHC
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GRHC »

In the June 2022 issue of Trains magazine it states that the West Michigan railroad hopes to relay track eastward to directly serve industry. The railroad has stockpiled 9 miles of rail for it.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

AARR wrote:
For the uneducated such as myself, what is Teapot Dome? Is that a land formation or something? Sounds more like a 1920's political scandal.

It's my understanding that the Lake Cora section is still owned by the railroad as per the main West Michigan Railroad Abandonment thread?
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

Dowagiac Train Dude
Railroadfan...fan

MQT1223 wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2022 10:04 pm
AARR wrote:
For the uneducated such as myself, what is Teapot Dome? Is that a land formation or something? Sounds more like a 1920's political scandal.

It's my understanding that the Lake Cora section is still owned by the railroad as per the main West Michigan Railroad Abandonment thread?
The Teapot Dome is a restaurant just to the west of Paw Paw. It was opened in 1924 which is right after the Teapot Dome Scandal. Your thinking that it was a political scandal is spot on.

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

Fri Jun 03, 2022 10:29 pm
MQT1223 wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2022 10:04 pm

The Teapot Dome is a restaurant just to the west of Paw Paw. It was opened in 1924 which is right after the Teapot Dome Scandal. Your thinking that it was a political scandal is spot on.
The history behind the Michigan Teapot Dome:
https://www.wmuk.org/wmuk-news/2016-07- ... ren-county