Finally got my YouTube started

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
MikeB89
Railroadfan...fan

Finally got my YouTube started

Unread post by MikeB89 »

So I've been on leave from work because of an emergency appendix surgery a week ago. I'm out for two weeks because of this and missed out on taking a railfan trip to Durand during its Rail Days Festival. Trust me I was bummed about that.

However, It gave me perfect time to actually start making my YouTube channel and I'm pretty happy with my current results. I got two videos posted of some footage I've done around Grand Rapids.

If anyone would be interested here is my channel link.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDuAak ... PCW5hP8q9w

Any tips and suggestions would be nice. I'm still trying to figure out what I want for a logo but I'm not artist when it comes to logos.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Re: Finally got my YouTube started

Unread post by SD80MAC »

My opinion, lose the talking/interview part. No need for a logo or a "company name", simply show us the train, add a subtitle with train and location info as needed. Short, sweet, and simple. No one really wants to sit through minutes of dialogue. Just my 2 cents.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

Unread post by David Collins »

On the contrary to what SD80MAC said, I actually like narration/interview style shots. This may sound weird, but I also like hearing the back stories to railfanning catches and whatnot, because they can be quite interesting.

One thing you could change is maybe the intro shot, kinda ripping off Danny Harmon (Distant Signal) a bit on that when it comes to the format. I still really liked it and you've got a subscriber in me :D

MikeB89
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MikeB89 »

SD80MAC wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 2:35 pm
My opinion, lose the talking/interview part. No need for a logo or a "company name", simply show us the train, add a subtitle with train and location info as needed. Short, sweet, and simple. No one really wants to sit through minutes of dialogue. Just my 2 cents.
Thanks for the tip. I had thought about what you said as well. Maybe I can short it down and make it simple to what I'm doing. I mean I don't think anyone wants to know about my grocery trip lol. I also feel I have people who may not understand what a DPU is but then again they don't always need to understand that.

Again thank you and I will keep that in mind for future videos.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I also like a "little" narration or subtitles about what train it is, what it is currently doing, where it originated from and where its destination is and line history.

Perhaps a weather report and road update are not necessary.

The video of the train itself was nice to watch. I am one of "those" that like to see the whole train.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

MikeB89
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MikeB89 »

AARR wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 4:08 pm
I also like a "little" narration or subtitles about what train it is, what it is currently doing, where it originated from and where its destination is and line history.

The video of the train itself was nice to watch. I am one of "those" that like to see the whole train.
I also prefer showing the whole train. I am working on creating some boxes that popup with train number and its destination and such. Granted in some videos that may not always be the case especially if its an area I know nothing about. My next video will be my railfanning trip to Wyandotte, MI. This is dark territory to me as I don't know numbers and sometimes its hard to catch them on the scanner. I find CN makes this difficult as they never call out signals either.

Once again I appreciate the tips. I do want to keep a small introduction as I feel it engages with the viewer but I will try to shorten it done.

MikeB89
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MikeB89 »

David Collins wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 3:36 pm
On the contrary to what SD80MAC said, I actually like narration/interview style shots. This may sound weird, but I also like hearing the back stories to railfanning catches and whatnot, because they can be quite interesting.

One thing you could change is maybe the intro shot, kinda ripping off Danny Harmon (Distant Signal) a bit on that when it comes to the format. I still really liked it and you've got a subscriber in me :D
I was trying soooo hard not to seem like I was copying Danny as that isn't my intentions. I appreciate his videos so much. I'm trying to find something better as an intro shot but I know once I find it I will use it. I was going to originally do an intro segment with a couple trains. Maybe I will use the Grand Elk train as the intro shot. I don't know yet. Once I get something I like I will use it.

I do plan on keeping the interview and narration but I'm going to tone it done just slightly.

MikeB89
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MikeB89 »

Created a new intro piece for the videos. I ended up using the Grand Elk shot I got. That way its something original to me. When its nice outside for a small narration piece for the Wyandotte railfanning day I will start that video. Hopefully I can get it posted on Monday.

RoyalKingoftheRails
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by RoyalKingoftheRails »

MikeB89 wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 2:27 pm
So I've been on leave from work because of an emergency appendix surgery a week ago. I'm out for two weeks because of this and missed out on taking a railfan trip to Durand during its Rail Days Festival. Trust me I was bummed about that.

However, It gave me perfect time to actually start making my YouTube channel and I'm pretty happy with my current results. I got two videos posted of some footage I've done around Grand Rapids.

If anyone would be interested here is my channel link.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDuAak ... PCW5hP8q9w

Any tips and suggestions would be nice. I'm still trying to figure out what I want for a logo but I'm not artist when it comes to logos.
Awesome I just subscribed, good tips for rail videos would be filming the entire train, putting a couple clips into one video (which I saw you did). It will help increase your watch hours too for those that want to watch the entire video. I always look at put the most I can into my videos (most amount of video clips with no cuts) if the viewers want to see the full video they can watch it, if they want to see 2 minutes they can click off when they lose attention. I look forward to seeing more content from you!

RoyalKingoftheRails
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by RoyalKingoftheRails »

MikeB89 wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 4:26 pm
AARR wrote:

I also prefer showing the whole train. I am working on creating some boxes that popup with train number and its destination and such. Granted in some videos that may not always be the case especially if its an area I know nothing about. My next video will be my railfanning trip to Wyandotte, MI. This is dark territory to me as I don't know numbers and sometimes its hard to catch them on the scanner. I find CN makes this difficult as they never call out signals either.

Once again I appreciate the tips. I do want to keep a small introduction as I feel it engages with the viewer but I will try to shorten it done.
Oh cool, Wyandotte is a really good place to go to. I was actually just there Wednesday, got down there at 6 am and left around 5 pm, saw 13 trains. I did leave the tracks a couple of times to go explore the city a bit and I know for a fact at least 1 train passed through, maybe a couple. If you have a scanner definitely bring it down there, CN Shoreline and Conrail have defect detectors within a couple miles of each-other.

MikeB89
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MikeB89 »

RoyalKingoftheRails wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 9:59 am
MikeB89 wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 4:26 pm
AARR wrote:

Oh cool, Wyandotte is a really good place to go to. I was actually just there Wednesday, got down there at 6 am and left around 5 pm, saw 13 trains. I did leave the tracks a couple of times to go explore the city a bit and I know for a fact at least 1 train passed through, maybe a couple. If you have a scanner definitely bring it down there, CN Shoreline and Conrail have defect detectors within a couple miles of each-other.
I did have my scanner with me and was picking up the DDs with no issue. I also have the EOT frequencies on my scanner so when I hear that come through I know its a short time before a train comes through. Most EOT have a 2-5 watt transmitter on them so can pick those up from a few miles away. I think one thing I'm going to try doing is getting a small desktop computer to put in my car to install ATSC Monitor on it and rig my base type scanner to pick up that information. It would so help me with the train numbers when I'm in unknown territory. My laptop sadly won't work with that since the audio input is a dual style port for output and microphone and ATSC monitor needs a line in port not a microphone port.

MikeB89
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MikeB89 »

Hey Folks,

I've been working in photoshop today creating a lower quadrant that would popup with some train information.

I'm no expert in photoshop but the attached file is what I have for CSX. NS, BNSF, and CN will soon follow. Trying to keep the company colors in the mix without actually using their logos. Don't need copyright claims on that aspect.
Attachments
CSX.png

MikeB89
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MikeB89 »

Well folks I took a ton of consideration in what you said. I got the railfan video posted and it turned out pretty well.

If you want to watch then feel free.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdIF4bKXcrg&t=1198s