Hamilton Northwestern Railroad Co.

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
JBaxter
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Hamilton Northwestern Railroad Co.

Unread post by JBaxter »

The rumor going around is that it might be coming up today, or at least that was how I understood it

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Talk wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 9:05 am
LansingRailFan wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 7:40 am
They going to Waverly for the interchange. Also can use the Wye. MP15s to rule Holland.
Blah... not an ALCo... blah... not a CF7...
Now accepting donations if you’d like to see either of those run.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

Tom49801
Bangor Webcam Master

Unread post by Tom49801 »

JBaxter wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 2:03 pm
The rumor going around is that it might be coming up today, or at least that was how I understood it
Supposedly, the GLLX #1416 is now in tow on the L301-27 that is presently headed westward to the St Joseph Bridge. L301 has work in Sawyer mp CG105.2 & then will be returning eastward to Holland. For his eastward trip, we'll see him on the Bangor live cam to confirm he has the GLLX engine. Guessing maybe between 6:00pm/7:00pm eastern time. The Bangor live cam link is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0pEGfaKi50

12Bridge
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by 12Bridge »

No 1416 on L301 yet. I'm looking at it..

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

If they pick up 1416, it will be on their return back east.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

Tom49801
Bangor Webcam Master

Unread post by Tom49801 »

JBaxter wrote:
L301-27 @ 18:16:06 eastward Bangor's Division St crossing cam mp CG60.93 with CSX engine #4384 & GLLX engine #1416 & 16 cars.

It will be available for rewind & viewing for 12 hours on the YouTube Bangor Cam:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0pEGfaKi50

GRHC
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GRHC »

Tom49801 wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 6:29 pm
JBaxter wrote:
L301-27 @ 18:16:06 eastward Bangor's Division St crossing cam mp CG60.93 with CSX engine #4384 & GLLX engine #1416 & 16 cars.

It will be available for rewind & viewing for 12 hours on the YouTube Bangor Cam:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0pEGfaKi50
Close up view of the HNW lettering
Attachments
90B3AD41-D045-4B40-8BF1-D04D4FEFBBCF.jpeg

12Bridge
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by 12Bridge »

That C&O font is a nice touch!

kd_1014
Mike

Unread post by kd_1014 »

When is the first day of operations?

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

GR H & C wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 2:09 pm
J T wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 1:56 pm
Jetlink wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 9:51 am
So what about the old trestle? Who is responsible for it, CSX (probably not) Hamilton Hartford group (probably not), Hamilton feed or the ag outfit at the end of the line whatever they are called now (most likely; if the line was abandoned to them as a private industrial track). Seems to me the maintenance and inspection of this bridge is an Achilles heel to the operation of the line. Or at least the one customer on the end of it.
There was some maintenance work done on the bridge 10-15 years ago, but I can't remember the name of the company that did it. I had received an email from an employee of that company regarding a photo I had posted on railpics. If I could find that email I could tell you the name, but I'm not sure if I'll have much luck. That said, I'm not sure who is responsible for the upkeep of the bridge.
The line itself from Holland to Hamilton had major rehabilitation work somewhere between 1984 and 1987
Well It's only been nearly 40 years... I wonder what necessitated the work considering service to Allegan had ended just a few years prior.

Speaking of Allegan, if you look up who owns what property wise there are still large swaths of ROW south of Hamilton going to Allegan owned by CSX under the C&O name. I did some checking around West Michigan and several other grades and properties still fall under current and past railroad ownership (past now being owned by current companies). A good majority of the Ionia Sub around Portland is still listed as being owned by the C&O as well. I even found some NS and Conrail properties in and around Grand Rapids.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

GRHC
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GRHC »

MQT1223 wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 4:44 pm
GR H & C wrote:
J T wrote:
The line itself from Holland to Hamilton had major rehabilitation work somewhere between 1984 and 1987
Well It's only been nearly 40 years... I wonder what necessitated the work considering service to Allegan had ended just a few years prior.

Speaking of Allegan, if you look up who owns what property wise there are still large swaths of ROW south of Hamilton going to Allegan owned by CSX under the C&O name. I did some checking around West Michigan and several other grades and properties still fall under current and past railroad ownership (past now being owned by current companies). A good majority of the Ionia Sub around Portland is still listed as being owned by the C&O as well. I even found some NS and Conrail properties in and around Grand Rapids.
The line itself at that time was in very rough shape which facilitated the need for rehabilitation.

Speaking of Row’s I have a client that told me he wants to build a garage but first he has to get the railroad to sign off on the easement.
The rail line that I’m speaking of was abandoned in 1946 it was the GTW line between Greenville and Muskegon.

Chip
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Chip »

Are the rails still there? If not why would or should the railroad care?

GRHC
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GRHC »

Chip wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 6:58 pm
Are the rails still there? If not why would or should the railroad care?
Well if that question was directed at me then the answer would be no the rails are not there. Why the railroad would care I don’t know ask the lawyers because my client had to get one because all the paperwork and legal ease.(I don’t believe the railroad is fighting it there has been other development along the ROW)

Chip
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Chip »

Ah ok thank you. I wonder why the railroad still owns the property since it's been abandoned for so long

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Unread post by DaveO »

Right-of-way may be leased for things like fiber optic lines.
Plus to sell, you should have clear title and given how convoluted the process of building a railroad line could be...

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by chapmaja »

MQT1223 wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 4:44 pm
GR H & C wrote:
J T wrote:

There was some maintenance work done on the bridge 10-15 years ago, but I can't remember the name of the company that did it. I had received an email from an employee of that company regarding a photo I had posted on railpics. If I could find that email I could tell you the name, but I'm not sure if I'll have much luck. That said, I'm not sure who is responsible for the upkeep of the bridge.

To me the NS / Conrail properties around GR absolutely makes sense. These were likely purchased / held onto for future railroad related use, such as the need to additional transload / warehouse facility space, or to be held onto for a future customer to purchase and develop.

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

First run for Hamilton NorthWestern Railroad is tomorrow, Tuesday May 31st. On duty in Holland at 6pm. Running to Hamilton, then taking cars back to Holland, return to Hamilton lite.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Not sure if there is a wiki on this railroad yet but the HNW train ID is Z283 when on CSX rails, so if anyone hears that for any given reason, that’s the Hamilton crew.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

And a good time was had by all. :-)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

MQT1223 wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:53 am
Not sure if there is a wiki on this railroad yet but the HNW train ID is Z283 when on CSX rails, so if anyone hears that for any given reason, that’s the Hamilton crew.
https://railroadfan.com/wiki/index.php/ ... n_Railroad