Hamilton Northwestern Railroad Co.

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Re: Hamilton Northwestern Railroad Co.

Unread post by CAT345C »

GRHC wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2023 11:50 am
I’m still not really sure why the Hamilton Northwestern has been dormant for almost the last year. Nobody has given any real concrete explanation.
What’s really sad is there have been some really hard working people who have put a lot of time and a lot of money into this business venture and at this point have most likely have not seen a return on their investment.
Does anybody know if the tree has been removed from the line?
3F6B9999-785D-4561-92C9-72FEB4BEA50F.jpeg
The tree has been removed. Last October with did a large for us tie project near the chicken farm over two days and did some ties in town and fixed up one of the switches by Endeavor. I still make regular track inspections on the line so when we do run trains on it again we don't miss a beat.
Making the railroad all Catywompus since 2008

https://www.flickr.com/gp/66353741@N07/02EZ1e

LansingRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by LansingRailFan »

CAT345C wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2023 5:57 pm
GRHC wrote:
I’m still not really sure why the Hamilton Northwestern has been dormant for almost the last year. Nobody has given any real concrete explanation.
What’s really sad is there have been some really hard working people who have put a lot of time and a lot of money into this business venture and at this point have most likely have not seen a return on their investment.
The tree has been removed. Last October with did a large for us tie project near the chicken farm over two days and did some ties in town and fixed up one of the switches by Endeavor. I still make regular track inspections on the line so when we do run trains on it again we don't miss a beat.
When you go by the chicken farm do you ever say to yourself, “Bawk bawk?”

pudgy
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by pudgy »

LansingRailFan wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2023 7:15 am
CAT345C wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2023 5:57 pm
GRHC wrote:
When you go by the chicken farm do you ever say to yourself, “Bawk bawk?”
Good way to get captured and added to the queue...
Big Easy

C&O6088
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by C&O6088 »

Was on the south side of Holland today and trekked over to Fillmore Rd to see if there has been any activity on the HNW tracks. Still nothing after nearly a year. I hope that 2024 fares better for HNW with their awarded grant for improvement. Want to see this line active again....lots of history dating back into the 1800's.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

C&O6088 wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:00 pm
Was on the south side of Holland today and trekked over to Fillmore Rd to see if there has been any activity on the HNW tracks. Still nothing after nearly a year. I hope that 2024 fares better for HNW with their awarded grant for improvement. Want to see this line active again....lots of history dating back into the 1800's.
Hey, Bob, are you ever going to read the two PMs I sent you 16 years ago? :lol:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

So apparently HNW ran to Holland yesterday afternoon I’m hearing… anybody confirm or deny?
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

pudgy
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by pudgy »

Confirm they ran in the last 3 days, not sure what day.
Big Easy

Tankcar123
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Tankcar123 »

Yes they ran on Saturday late afternoon.

GRHC
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GRHC »

Not only did the Hamilton Northwestern run it looks as though they may have brought in 3 covered hoppers for the Endeavor facility in Hamilton Michigan.

Note: The Endeavor facility now has a Shuttle Wagon rail car mover on the property. I’m not exactly sure how long it’s been here.
AC5A83A6-BE09-4DE8-9AC3-94AE851C807C.jpeg
Last edited by GRHC on Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Unread post by DaveO »

GRHC wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:40 am
Not only did the Hamilton Northwestern run they may have brought in 3 covered hoppers for the Endeavor facility in Hamilton Michigan.

Note: The Endeavor facility now has a rail car mover on the property. I’m not exactly sure how long it’s been here.

there's aarr's do not hammer decals :)

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

DaveO wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 12:28 pm
there's aarr's do not hammer decals :)
You have a good memory for an elderly man 🙂
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

GRHC wrote:
Not only did the Hamilton Northwestern run it looks as though they may have brought in 3 covered hoppers for the Endeavor facility in Hamilton Michigan.

Note: The Endeavor facility now has a Shuttle Wagon rail car mover on the property. I’m not exactly sure how long it’s been here.

Must've got that when they sent the loader up to Harlem to be on site there
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

GRHC
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GRHC »

MQT1223 wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:35 pm
GRHC wrote:
Must've got that when they sent the loader up to Harlem to be on site there
They still have a loader in Hamilton so maybe they have two.

I have a question maybe somebody can answer. Why is the Hamilton Northwestern called the Hamilton Northwestern? The railroad could’ve been call the Holland Southeastern, the Holland and Hamilton, the Hamilton and Holland The Allegan County Railway/Railroad The Hamilton Terminal Railway/Railroad etc. etc.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Because the line starts in Hamilton and goes north west of there. Kidding aside, when starting a shortline or regional railroad (or any small business in general), you want a name that identifies and coincides with the region and or town you're operating in. Not only does it make your business easier to find for potential local customers, it also is easier to drum up community to support with a local name that people can identify with vs faceless corporation.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

GRHC
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GRHC »

SD80MAC wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:34 pm
Because the line starts in Hamilton and goes north west of there. Kidding aside, when starting a shortline or regional railroad (or any small business in general), you want a name that identifies and coincides with the region and or town you're operating in. Not only does it make your business easier to find for potential local customers, it also is easier to drum up community to support with a local name that people can identify with vs faceless corporation.
Yes I agree with you 100% and it makes sense the line starts in Hamilton however I thought maybe the owner was a fan of the Chicago Northwestern.

My personal favorite is the Hamilton Transload and Terminal Railway the HT&T

I can’t help but wonder if AARR uses that same thought process when he names one of his dozens and dozens of paper railroads. 🤔

Was the overhead railcar mover inside the Endeavor facility ever used and if so is it still in use?
Last edited by GRHC on Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

YAARR
GRHC wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:45 pm
I can’t help but wonder if AARR uses that same thought process when he names one of his dozens and dozens of paper railroads. 🤔
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

GRHC
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GRHC »

The Hamilton Northwestern transload facility will be constructed in Fillmore Michigan according to the word on the street. 😉

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

GRHC wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:28 am
The Hamilton Northwestern transload facility will be constructed in Fillmore Michigan according to the word on the street. 😉
That was the assumption before

GRHC
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GRHC »

MQT1223 wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:13 pm
GRHC wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:28 am
That was the assumption before
Yes that’s what we all assumed but like I said word on the street is confirming that it is. It’s the same word on the street that said the Endeavor facility in Harlem Michigan was sold to Keystone which it was. 😉

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Endeavour and Keystone merged. No sale.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/