Hamilton Northwestern Railroad Co.

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Hamilton Northwestern Railroad Co.

Unread post by chapmaja »

GRHC wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2023 11:19 am
LansingRailFan wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2023 10:44 am
GRHC wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2023 8:17 pm
Update: 09/07/2023 something is happening right next to the Hamilton Northwestern. Could this be a transload facility or a future rail served customer only time will tell.
Is this new activity? There’s been construction materials there for years and the docs that Z posted are from 2019
I can only guess by the satellite images that activity has picked back up on the site.
Here’s another satellite image that shows there’s definitely been progress between when the satellite images were taken.

Let’s hope that the information Z has provided is outdated and plans have changed.

45372739-C6E5-4733-A90B-C97C0C562E12.jpeg
My guess is this is not designed to have rail service, but was located near the railroad in an effort to keep truckers honest and have the ability to install rail access at a later date if it should become required.

I know a lot of places locate close to rails for that reason. It is a way to keep truckers honest even when there really is no intention of ever installing or using rail.

joeyuboats
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by joeyuboats »

As a former truck driver, I would have to say that it's more to do with how the land is zoned for use, as opposed to playing truckers against rail. Or, the size of the land needed for a given industry location.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

LansingRailFan wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2023 10:44 am
GRHC wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2023 8:17 pm
Update: 09/07/2023 something is happening right next to the Hamilton Northwestern. Could this be a transload facility or a future rail served customer only time will tell.

1DA8FD3C-32A2-4D12-88FE-FA0F3021F60E.jpeg

72FD18F4-ED93-48C9-917B-7D0C79DEEB9B.jpeg
Is this new activity? There’s been construction materials there for years and the docs that Z posted are from 2019
Unfortunately the most recent street view is from September of 2019 and it shows the field completely untouched compared to the newer satellite imagery. Hard to tell when exactly they started working on the land.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

It's a dead project. I look at it every time I inspect the HNW.
Making the railroad all Catywompus since 2008

https://www.flickr.com/gp/66353741@N07/02EZ1e

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

To further expand on CAT’s comment, the land in question is owned by Great Lakes Warehousing. They started building the new facility a few years ago and abandoned it due to changes in business. They could always re-start it again someday, I’m told.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

DLM
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by DLM »

Warehouses use boxcars. The boxcar business has been in a slow decline for awhile. Their new business will come from trans-loading bulk materials. Think Darling Ingredients loading tank cars. Think ag products. Think lumber. Think commodities that only require land to load or unload. That's where the HNW will grow. Also, look for the new Coastal Paper spur to someday connect to the Hamilton spur. Build a quarter mile of track with state funding and get rid of 2 miles of track and crossings in Holland including US-31.

GRHC
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GRHC »

DLM wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2023 9:53 am
Warehouses use boxcars. The boxcar business has been in a slow decline for awhile. Their new business will come from trans-loading bulk materials. Think Darling Ingredients loading tank cars. Think ag products. Think lumber. Think commodities that only require land to load or unload. That's where the HNW will grow. Also, look for the new Coastal Paper spur to someday connect to the Hamilton spur. Build a quarter mile of track with state funding and get rid of 2 miles of track and crossings in Holland including US-31.
I think everybody knows what the future of the Hamilton Northwestern is and it will mirror the West Michigan railroad.

As for the other thing you wrote I do not believe they’re going to do that.

I for one would like to know what the railfan from Lansing thinks because he seems to have an opinion on everything.
0A448F68-CFE4-4B97-8DB7-8E1882394790.jpeg

LansingRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by LansingRailFan »

Personally, I can’t wait for the HNW to restart operations again. Hopefully they will someday.

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

LansingRailFan wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2023 9:15 pm
Personally, I can’t wait for the HNW to restart operations again. Hopefully they will someday.
Bring me 8 dozen raspberry filled donuts and a mtn dew from QD on the 8th Sunday from Presidents day and we will run an auto rack train to Hamilton.
Making the railroad all Catywompus since 2008

https://www.flickr.com/gp/66353741@N07/02EZ1e

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Why did the elevator in Hamilton stop using rail service?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

AARR wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 11:53 am
It didn't.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Thank you, SD80MAC. When is the last time they received cars?
SD80MAC wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 11:58 am
AARR wrote:
It didn't.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

LansingRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by LansingRailFan »

CAT345C wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:11 am
LansingRailFan wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2023 9:15 pm
Bring me 8 dozen raspberry filled donuts and a mtn dew from QD on the 8th Sunday from Presidents day and we will run an auto rack train to Hamilton.
Send me a Google calendar invite and I’m there. I’ll break out my QD card too

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

AARR wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:44 pm
Thank you, SD80MAC. When is the last time they received cars?
SD80MAC wrote:
AARR wrote:
It didn't.
Roughly a year ago at this point
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

David Lang
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by David Lang »

So what's the situation with the elevator in Hamilton?

They were always a good and steady customer.

12Bridge
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by 12Bridge »

SD80MAC wrote:
AARR wrote:
It didn't.
Guess its too hard to read this post.

12Bridge
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by 12Bridge »

Let me change my comment from "Guess its too hard to read this post." to "Guess its too hard to read this comment."

Typhoon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Typhoon »

12Bridge wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:36 pm
Typhoon wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:50 pm
Ohh dirty UP switch engines :D How exciting.... :roll:
Thanks. Means a lot to those of us that spent a fair bit of time getting them cleaned up and lettered, with a small budget, mostly for the benefit of local buffs.

Since I am not local, your welcome.

David Lang
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by David Lang »

Hey guys,

I want to apologize if I upset anyone. I did see the answer to AARR's question, why did rail service stop to the Hamilton Elevator, then the response that it didn't, then read an earlier post in which someone said "Personally, I can’t wait for the HNW to restart operations again. Hopefully they will someday", then another post that they haven't received service for almost a year, so I was confused as these comments seem to contradict one another.

I was trying to seek clarity about all that, but it seems (I think) that the elevator is still receiving rail service, which is great to hear.

Again, hoping I did not upset anyone. I enjoy speaking with all of you and appreciate all your insights.
Last edited by David Lang on Mon Sep 25, 2023 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GRHC
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GRHC »

David Lang wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2023 5:27 pm
Hey guys,

I want to apologize if I upset anyone. I did see the answer to AARR's question, why did rail service stop to the Hamilton Elevator, then the response that it didn't, then read an earlier post in which someone said "Personally, I can’t wait for the HNW to restart operations again. Hopefully they will someday", then another post that they haven't received service for almost a year, so I was confused as these comments seem to contradict one another.

I was trying to seek clarity about all that, but it seems (I think) that the elevator is still receiving rail service, which is great to hear.

Again, hoping I did not upset anyone.
Well sir you didn’t upset me so we’re good as far as I’m concerned. Just to clear things up the elevator in Hamilton Michigan has not received any rail cars in almost a year as far as I know.