A guy named Stephen wants to know this?

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
dalek ling
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by dalek ling »

I can't seem to post a new subject, only replies- so someone can feel free to copy and paste this into a new thread please:

In Traverse City on the Williamsburg branch, their was a rumor a couple years ago about turning the old Traverse City Gray Iron spur (near the airport, last use for MOW equipment staging last summer) into a transload facility. Well, I'm wondering if that has happened and we may be soon seeing new traffic. Went by there the last few days, and tractor/trailers have been streaming in unloading some steel contraptions about the size of a Prius- lots of these things in rows next to the spur. There's nothing else around there to support any other reason these have been staged here. And there's a tractor with super Ling forks parked next to the spur. So. Maybe watch for empty flat cars headed north?

Also, does GLC marketing view this page? If so- I'm told that Go Go Squeeze is now having apples shipped from Washington in ARMN reporting mark (I think) reefers to a transload warehouse on a very short shortline railroad downstate. Hanson Logistics?? Seems GLC could reroute those directly to Go Go Squeeze in Grawn on their sidings? Would it really be cheaper to send to this downstate warehouse and transload, truck up to Grawn??

Finally- Tom Campbell- I share your feelings on the passenger train that's only feeing pocketbooks of consultants. Totally doesn't make financial sense. But, when you comment often about GLC coming up with one lumber car ("tax dollars at work", etc, do you realize that they also pull loads from Beacon? That one observation you made with that comment after someone was nice enough to note the train NB through Kingsley (Mike Vandermey), had one load, but then left TC with 4 revenue loads from Beacon. And last week brought 3 loads and one empty up, and grabbed 4 loads from Beacon.

So if someone could repost this as a new threat? Thanks!
The 15 year old railfan from Michigan :P And the only one who believes in A2TC
Youtube- Dalek Ling
Instagram- dalekling1212

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: A guy named Stephen wants to know this?

Unread post by AARR »

I doubt TCGI will ship by rail. Perhaps the rumor you heard was EJIW getting ore pellets. For now just a rumor.

I thought the same thing about the apple business but WMI offers a return load which GLC doesn’t so I doubt it’ll move from WMI.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

AARR wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 11:02 am
I doubt TCGI will ship by rail. Perhaps the rumor you heard was EJIW getting ore pellets. For now just a rumor.

I thought the same thing about the apple business but WMI offers a return load which GLC doesn’t so I doubt it’ll move from WMI.
I wonder how much longer it would take to ship the apples to TC? 1-2 days longer? It would be cool to see, but I also doubt it'll move.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Probably a week because CSX doesn’t switch AnnPere daily. They get there once or twice a week.

And although GLC moves their cars quickly they too only go to TC once or twice a week.
NS3322 wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 11:14 am
I wonder how much longer it would take to ship the apples to TC? 1-2 days longer? It would be cool to see, but I also doubt it'll move.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

Unread post by David Collins »

AARR wrote:
I don't see it being out of the possibility, the only issue would be trying to convince GLC to haul heavy loads, from what I understand, they're very short on power.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

IMO they will transload the ore in Cadillac at the former coke transload
David Collins wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 12:16 pm
AARR wrote:
I don't see it being out of the possibility, the only issue would be trying to convince GLC to haul heavy loads, from what I understand, they're very short on power.

Chip
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Chip »

David Collins wrote:
AARR wrote:
Do they have any 6 axle power or is it all Geeps?

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

Chip wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 1:19 pm
David Collins wrote:
AARR wrote:
Do they have any 6 axle power or is it all Geeps?
1 25 Tonner
1 NW2 (OOS)
6 GP35's (2 OOS)
5 GP38-2's (1 Permanently OOS)
3 SD35's (1 OOS)
2 SD40-2's (1 OOS)
Last edited by NS3322 on Tue May 10, 2022 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chip
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Chip »

I honestly didn't know they had anything other than Geeps. That's all I ever saw when I lived on the CMU campus

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

Chip wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 1:44 pm
I honestly didn't know they had anything other than Geeps. That's all I ever saw when I lived on the CMU campus
They just picked up the SD40-2's and SD35's within the last 4 years. The SD40-2's arrived in 2018 and the SD35's in 2020.

joeyuboats
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by joeyuboats »

What are the issues with the SD's that are out of service??

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

dalek ling wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 10:45 am
A guy named Stephen wants to know what?
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

LansingRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by LansingRailFan »

J T wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 6:44 am
dalek ling wrote:
Why everyone shoots vertical?!

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Unread post by DaveO »

J T wrote:
dalek ling wrote:
A guy named Stephen wants to know that?

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

joeyuboats wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 4:21 pm
What are the issues with the SD's that are out of service??
The GLC Wiki will answer your questions :D :
https://railroadfan.com/wiki/index.php/ ... es_Central

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

DaveO wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 9:05 am
J T wrote:
dalek ling wrote:
A guy named Stephen wants to know that?
This, not that. :lol:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.