Suggestions for all day railfanning around the D

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

Suggestions for all day railfanning around the D

Unread post by David Collins »

Next Monday is a Eid (which is a muslim holiday), which me and one of my railfanning friends do not celebrate. Therefore we are hopefully going to block out an entire day and do some railfanning around the detroit area. I already have a few spots down...

Plymouth
South Lyon (For a picture and video of the searchlights)
Romulus
Wyandotte
Belleville

...but I'm open to any other suggestions you guys might have, I'm open to anything BUT I'd like to try to avoid areas close to or around Delray, that place freaks me out.
Ferris State University’s Train Guy

Youtube: Michigan Railfan Films

Flickr: David R. Collins

SC: daveeed1k

JStryker722
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Suggestions for all day railfanning around the D

Unread post by JStryker722 »

Honestly..it's either Delray, Romulus, or Plymouth. Those spots have the highest train counts for a single place to plant yourself at. As for your fear of Delray: if you Park next to the CN crossing bungalow where there is a wide dirt-gravel spot off of the St. Mary's Cement entrance off Dearborn St...you'll be fine, at least in daylight. Its a Regular railfan hang out spot that police and railroad crews are aware of. You'll be fine as long as you move out of the way as requested by railroad maintenance crews. Otherwise, pack a camera, a drink, and something to read between trains!
My Wife says my first love is trains..anint that the truth! Lol :D

Chip
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Chip »

Romulus is nice because you have the diamond where the CSX plywood sub and Wabash cross. You'll see more trains on CSX than you will NS there. A little further south on Pennsylvania Rd there's an auto loading facility you might be able to see some switching action, but it might be too slow to be interesting.

You could head to Wayne from there and see Amtrak, NS switching out the Ford plant and CSX too but be careful flying drones around there. Ford security might have something to say about it.

David Lang
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by David Lang »

Hi David Collins.

Well this suggestion is not in the Detroit area, but Durand is my favorite spot. Good train counts there, the Durand Union Station which features a computer screen where you can see where trains are located, indoor museum and restroom facilities, great viewing, very safe, and variety as well (CN, GLC, H&E, and Amtrak).

Durand will likely beat Romulus and Plymouth in train counts, however Delray may have a few more than Durand.

Just a thought.

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ConrailDetr​oit »

Milwaukee Jct in the morning. On the Conrail, the NS 31M and 121 can be counted on. The Detroit Connecting RR has a pattern of running on Mondays and Thursdays as of late, although can run anyday. 515 and Amtrak 353 will come down the Holly Sub around the same time.

If visiting Milwaukee Jct / Delray / Attending Public School / Or living with the idea of contracting a virus is too freaky nowadays, one can always learn or find trains virtually with YouTube and Google Classroom and physically distance forever.

Chip
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Chip »

ConrailDetr​oit wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:38 am

If visiting Milwaukee Jct / Delray / Attending Public School / Or living with the idea of contracting a virus is too freaky nowadays, one can always learn or find trains virtually with YouTube and Google Classroom and physically distance forever.
I think he's afraid of Delray because it's a crap area

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ConrailDetr​oit »

Chip wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:53 am
ConrailDetr​oit wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:38 am

I think he's afraid of Delray because it's a crap area
"Crap areas" tend to be goldmines for finding trains and purchasing cheaply priced real estate for business use........It's what you make of it unless you are a victim.

kd_1014
Mike

Unread post by kd_1014 »

Just watch your 9 and stay strapped and you can foam over bongas all day

David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

Unread post by David Collins »

ConrailDetr​oit wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:49 am
...Or living with the idea of contracting a virus is too freaky nowadays.

...unless you are a victim.
1. Oh really, So what you are saying is I'm NOT afraid of a virus that has killed THREE of my family members, 1 of which got me into this hobby.

2. I am a victim of hate due to my disability.

My point I'm trying to convey is that you have to think about things people have had to go through over the last few years, if anything, you are only making me more afraid.
Ferris State University’s Train Guy

Youtube: Michigan Railfan Films

Flickr: David R. Collins

SC: daveeed1k

kd_1014
Mike

Unread post by kd_1014 »

what

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Unread post by DaveO »

Cleaned up per DaveO. Post was basically like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jf8v2mEgMbA

Ok, it wasn't like this at all, but it's a great clip about a bus driver, which is very loosely what the post was about.

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

I think David has enough suggestions for where to railfan around detroit. Seeing that he lives in the Detroit area, I'm sure he can find a spot in his metro area to railfan. Thread definitely lost its way.

This thread sucks; locking, thank you, drive thru.

Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com