Future of the Plymouth Sub/Grand Rapids Sub

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
J T
Hates Supper

Re: Future of the Plymouth Sub/Grand Rapids Sub

Unread post by J T »

Chip wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 7:30 am
J T wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 6:46 am
MrAnderson wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 2:03 pm

Or they could restore passenger service in a future where rail gets the funding it deserves and it would be fantastic. Never say never.
Then it would be a complete waste of funding. The existence of I-96 eliminates any possibility of passenger service between Detroit and Grand Rapids.
I-94 exists yet we have service from Pontiac to Chicago. Don't get me wrong, I agree with your overall opinion but to say 96's existing is the reason isn't the whole story
Apples and oranges. Keyword, "Chicago." As pointed out earlier in this thread, Chicago is a destination for business and pleasure. Neither Detroit nor Grand Rapids are from either city. On top of that, driving between Chicago and Detroit on I-94 sucks. Driving between Detroit and Grand Rapids on I-96 is a breeze.

And that is the whole story.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

amtrak1007
MP 25 Productions Co-Founder

Unread post by amtrak1007 »

J T wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 9:25 am
Chip wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 7:30 am
J T wrote:

Then it would be a complete waste of funding. The existence of I-96 eliminates any possibility of passenger service between Detroit and Grand Rapids.
I-94 exists yet we have service from Pontiac to Chicago. Don't get me wrong, I agree with your overall opinion but to say 96's existing is the reason isn't the whole story
Apples and oranges. Keyword, "Chicago." As pointed out earlier in this thread, Chicago is a destination for business and pleasure. Neither Detroit nor Grand Rapids are from either city. On top of that, driving between Chicago and Detroit on I-94 sucks. Driving between Detroit and Grand Rapids on I-96 is a breeze.

And that is the whole story.
As much as I HATE to agree with JT, he's spot on here. The opening of I-96 was the nail in the coffin for much railroad traffic on the Plymouth sub. RPO's went to trucks, easy drive time etc... GR/DET is just about as far as trucks have a supreme advantage over RR. If we could move the entirety of GR west, then it might be better for the paper RR reality, but until someone can figure that out. Well here we are.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

amtrak1007 wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 10:13 am

As much as I HATE to agree with JT...
:lol: :twisted:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

MrAnderson
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MrAnderson »

Or there could be disincentive introduced to take traffic away from I-96 and prioritize rail traffic since it's significantly better for the environment but that would require our government to not suck up to auto manufacturers and actually care about the earth.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

MrAnderson wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 3:21 pm
Or there could be disincentive introduced to take traffic away from I-96 and prioritize rail traffic since it's significantly better for the environment but that would require our government to not suck up to auto manufacturers and actually care about the earth.
:lol:
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

GRHC
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GRHC »

I think a high speed rail corridor or any type of passenger train service between Grand Rapids and Detroit would probably fare slightly better than NBC’s 1979 TV show super train.
Note: The series was on for less than one season and was an abysmal failure. it is rated one of the 50 worst TV shows in television history.
Attachments
C03C0662-1609-444F-BE8B-A4D98231819D.jpeg

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Looks like a great Mystery Science Theater show 8)
GR H & C wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 5:27 pm
I think a high speed rail corridor or any type of passenger train service between Grand Rapids and Detroit would probably fare slightly better than NBC’s 1979 TV show super train.
Note: The series was on for less than one season and was an abysmal failure. it is rated one of the 50 worst TV shows in television history.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

GRHC
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GRHC »

AARR wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 5:44 pm
GR H & C wrote:
It was a railroad rip off of ABC’s Love Boat.

On the serious side back in 2018/2019 I do believe when they were discussing passenger service from Grand Rapids to Detroit it was actually Holland to Detroit.

GRHC
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GRHC »

I just read on a railroad fan website that the Canadian Pacific may be purchasing from CSX the Plymouth subdivision.

FlyingCoffin
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by FlyingCoffin »

GR H & C wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:33 pm
I just read on a railroad fan website that the Canadian Pacific may be purchasing from CSX the Plymouth subdivision.
And where did the rumor originate from this time?

Talk
Keeps Talking

Unread post by Talk »

FlyingCoffin wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:03 am
GR H & C wrote:
kd_1014

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

A topic almost as well worn as A2TC.

GRHC
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GRHC »

FlyingCoffin wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:03 am
GR H & C wrote:
What I read was posted by somebody with the user name LansingRailFan (in jest i’m quite sure) on a website called RailRoadFan.com I don’t know if you’re familiar with it or not.
8A21DDF4-0AD7-46B8-9645-98E543D52855.jpeg
⛔️ WARNING ALL MINDLESS POSTINGS AND SPECULATION BY GR H & C ON THIS TOPIC/THREAD ARE FOR ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSES ONLY.

GRHC
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GRHC »

J T wrote:
Oh my y’all I better gets down yonder to the other side of Grand Rapids and takins me some train pictures cause I don’t like takins pictures of trains with red engines.*
No J T it’s just a joke it’s just a joke.

⛔️ WARNING ALL MINDLESS POSTINGS REAL OR SIMULATIONS AND SPECULATION BY GR H & C ON THIS TOPIC/THREAD ARE FOR ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSES ONLY.

* simulated post/not real

David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

Unread post by David Collins »

Great, now Michigan has a Peavine thread :lol:

dalek ling
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by dalek ling »

GR H & C wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 5:51 pm
AARR wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 5:44 pm
GR H & C wrote:
It was a railroad rip off of ABC’s Love Boat.

On the serious side back in 2018/2019 I do believe when they were discussing passenger service from Grand Rapids to Detroit it was actually Holland to Detroit.
I think the Coast to coast. Isn’t getting any news or trackage is like the reason why the music city star doesn’t go from Nashville to Murphreesboro. But Nashville to Lebanon. Because of CSX. That’s kinda why A2TC is getting more attention.

Just my opinion
The 15 year old railfan from Michigan :P And the only one who believes in A2TC
Youtube- Dalek Ling
Instagram- dalekling1212

Chip
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Chip »

David Collins wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:47 pm
Great, now Michigan has a Peavine thread :lol:
We already had that. It’s the Orion thread.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

MrAnderson wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 3:21 pm
:lol:
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

GRHC
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GRHC »

I just read (03/15/23) on a railroad fan website that Canadian Pacific Kansas City officials are going to be on the OCS P00117 touring the Plymouth and Grand Rapids subdivisions. Could this mean a possible future sale of the lines to the Canadian Pacific Kansas City. 😏
9EAF78E9-4512-466C-9760-B11BE6A21747.jpeg

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Everyone is getting off the train at Romulus. Train will be empty from Romulus through GR back to Chicago.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/