New threat to SMRS?—"Project Phoenix"

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Macowiec
Railroadfan...fan

New threat to SMRS?—"Project Phoenix"

Unread post by Macowiec »

Railroad 'deeply troubled' by lack of transparency over Project Phoenix

Published by Tecumseh Herald on Thu, 04/21/2022 - 8:18am

Editor’s note: The proposed Lenawee Community Complex, under the name Project Phoenix, on the former property of the Tecumseh Products has raised questions and concerns from people objecting to the project. The Lenawee County Commission voted in October to purchase the property for $2.3 million with hopes of building a public-private partnership sports, recreation and community facility. The Herald received the following letter from Mark Beekel, president of the Southern Michigan Railroad at 9 p.m. on Wednesday, April 20, after the April 21 edition of the newspaper was printed and delivered to the post office and newsstands. It may contain information that contradicts statements by the City of Tecumseh administration.

As president of the Southern Michigan Railroad Society, I wish to set the record straight regarding our relationship to the County’s proposed Project Phoenix.

Earlier this spring, we had our legal counsel draft a letter to the county commissioners informing them that the proposed sport complex appears to encroach upon our right-of-way and that we need a seat at the table. To date, we have received no response from the County.

When the matter of our letter was raised at the following commission meeting, Chairman David Stimpson stated that our railroad would be “part and parcel” of Project Phoenix and that we are fully on board with Phoenix. To say we were shocked is an understatement. If we were “part and parcel” of Phoenix, there would have been no need to send our letter.

We must also clarify another communication we sent to a local media outlet. When asked for our position on Project Phoenix, we simply stated that we would support any development project that would mutually benefit both the county and the railroad. We never identified Phoenix as a mutually beneficial project.

Since then, more information has come to light. We have received information obtained through a FOIA request that is troubling.

One of the communications was from Tecumseh City Manager Dan Swallows that revealed that he had contacted the City’s legal counsel to see if the City could take our railroad by eminent domain.

We also saw communication between Jason Miller, the former owner of the Tecumseh Products property, officials from the City of Tecumseh and Chairman David Stimpson. In his communication to these officials, Mr. Miller suggested he was about to purchase our railroad and that he would restore passenger service to Clinton, Blissfield and Adrian to the degree that was possible. Miller claimed the deal would be worth millions to him. Let me be clear: we did receive an informal offer from Miller. But we never seriously entertained it nor responded.

We were also party to a discussion in August 2021 with Tecumseh officials and administrator Marty Marshall about our railroad as it abuts the Phoenix site. They sought a long-term lease for our track south of M50. They wished to remove the rails. When we rejected that proposal, they told us they would then need several grade crossings across our rails. We told them that that would adversely affect our maximum train length and we could not agree to that. We parted with no agreement.

Our recent communication with several county commissioners leads us to believe that most of the commissioners had no idea that our right-of-way or easements would be problematic for the Phoenix Project. Neither were they aware of the communications between the railroad and Mr. Marshall even though that discussion took place many weeks prior to the county vote to acquire the former Tecumseh Product property.

As a nonprofit corporation, the Southern Michigan Railroad Society is proud of our 4o years of operation in Tecumseh and Clinton. And we are proud of the 7,000 visitors we brought to Tecumseh last year. While we certainly want to remain on good terms with both the County and the City, we are deeply troubled by the lack of transparency and communication between the parties involved. As this project currently stands and in view of the lack of consideration being given to our railroad and its members, we no longer see this project as mutually beneficial.

Mark Beekel, President
Southern Michigan Railroad Society

More on "Project Phoenix":

https://www.lenawee.mi.us/1021/Project-Phoenix

A visualisation (note lack of railroad tracks along Evans Street):
Screen Shot 2022-04-21 at 16.22.52.png
SMRS 1982-88, IHRC 1989-90, KJRY 1991-94, UP 1994-2000

Publisher of Tecumsehjunction.com

Full European rail booking on my site: polrail.com

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Re: New threat to SMRS?—"Project Phoenix"

Unread post by DaveO »

Eminent domain?
Assuming they are under FRA regulation, with at-grade crossings they should be, adverse abandonment is more likely.
The time to lawyer up is now, not later.

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

There appears to be a lot of county residents that oppose this project (at least it being funded with government dollars):
https://www.newsbreak.com/news/25516833 ... p-priority

Macowiec
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Macowiec »

And there's this:

Lenawee County Commissioner addresses allegations of corruption

https://www.tecumsehherald.com/content/ ... YmsuVDgsII
SMRS 1982-88, IHRC 1989-90, KJRY 1991-94, UP 1994-2000

Publisher of Tecumsehjunction.com

Full European rail booking on my site: polrail.com

Chip
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Chip »

NS3322 wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 1:02 pm
There appears to be a lot of county residents that oppose this project (at least it being funded with government dollars):
Despite not being a Lenawee county resident I'm opposed to to, SMRS implications aside. Sports complexes are always a terrible investment.

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

Chip wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 2:21 pm
NS3322 wrote:
Despite not being a Lenawee county resident I'm opposed to to, SMRS implications aside. Sports complexes are always a terrible investment.
I agree. While I think it would be great to put something on the old Tecumseh Products site this sounds like a money pit and way too ambitious for a town the size of Tecumseh...just make it a regular park/green space...

LansingRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by LansingRailFan »

Chip wrote:
NS3322 wrote:
How are sports complexes a terrible investment?

Chip
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Chip »

LansingRailFan wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 5:07 pm
Chip wrote:
NS3322 wrote:
They cost too much money and almost never provide the economic benefits the studies claim they will.

LansingRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by LansingRailFan »

Chip wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 5:09 pm
LansingRailFan wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 5:07 pm
Chip wrote:

They cost too much money and almost never provide the economic benefits the studies claim they will.
Are you talking about sports stadiums like for professional teams? Because if you are, I agree 100%.

Chip
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Chip »

It's not just pro sports teams but they are by far the worst offenders. I think to the Taylor Sportsplex that has been a giant boondoggle and that complex in Monroe that was referenced in that article posted earlier as the biggest examples I can think of.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

The complex in Washington Twp (near Romeo) has fallen short of projections and was involved in political scandal.

However, President Trump has visited there several times to huge crowds who line up for hours waiting to get in. No, I am not one of them.
Chip wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 6:09 pm
It's not just pro sports teams but they are by far the worst offenders. I think to the Taylor Sportsplex that has been a giant boondoggle and that complex in Monroe that was referenced in that article posted earlier as the biggest examples I can think of.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Chip
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Chip »

AARR wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 6:44 pm
The complex in Washington Twp (near Romeo) has fallen short of projections and was involved in political scandal.
There's that too. I can't recall any that didn't have any kind of funny/dirty money involved.
However, President Trump has visited there several times to huge crowds who line up for hours waiting to get in. No, I am not one of them.
Wouldn't care if you were. I don't understand going to political rallies on either side. It's 2022, we have TV and livestreams and that's not to mention even that is a waste of time. They’re all full of sh*t.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

It’s ironic that it draws bigger crowds for something entirely different than what it was designed for
Chip wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 6:49 pm
AARR wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 6:44 pm
Wouldn't care if you were. I don't understand going to political rallies on either side. It's 2022, we have TV and livestreams and that's not to mention even that is a waste of time. They’re all full of sh*t.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by chapmaja »

This is where I am going to have to interject my opinion, as someone holding a Master's Degree in Sports Management.
I think people often fail to truly recognize the money these facilities bring in. With that said, location plays a key part.

As an example, the Legacy Center in Brighton is an expensive facility, but it also brings in a ton of visitors when it hosts events. It also has the advantage of location. It is right off US-23 and just a few miles south of the US-23 / I-96 interchange, making access pretty easy. (Although it can get very backed up for big events around that facility).

I am not sold on a facility in Tecumseh being a good idea because of the location. I could see this turning into one of the stories of a terrible investment, but that also comes from the fact I know enough about that community to know there are concerns about how things operate in that area already, and I would be worried about the operations of a new facility.

Jim Chapman
Master's in Sports Management
Southern New Hampshire University
Class of 2019

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

"Project Phoenix" looks like one of those development dreams that never come to fruition. Lots of talk and excitement in the community and then they just fizzle away. I've seen similar things happen in the Grand Rapids area in the past decade or so.
Last edited by J T on Tue May 31, 2022 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

Eric Berger
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Eric Berger »

One thing that caught my eye in that above article was Mr Miller wanting to restore passenger service to Clinton, Blissfield, and Adrian. I wonder how he proposes to do that; after all, the diamond at Raisin Center was pulled out years ago, and I highly doubt NS would be interested in having it restored.

Then, of course, would be getting A&B to agree to let him run his passenger trains along their line to Adrian and Blissfield. Something else I really can't see happening.

I'm not even going to bring up the cost of restoring the line to FRA standards, nor redoing the signal system at Raisin Center and Lenawee Junction.
"From a really tall tower, in the middle of a really big field..."

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Wacker Chemical between the old diamond and Tecumseh seems like they could become a legitimate customer if rail service was restored
Eric Berger wrote:
Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:54 pm
One thing that caught my eye in that above article was Mr Miller wanting to restore passenger service to Clinton, Blissfield, and Adrian.

Ben Higdon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Ben Higdon »

Eric Berger wrote:
Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:54 pm
One thing that caught my eye in that above article was Mr Miller wanting to restore passenger service to Clinton, Blissfield, and Adrian. I wonder how he proposes to do that; after all, the diamond at Raisin Center was pulled out years ago, and I highly doubt NS would be interested in having it restored.

Then, of course, would be getting A&B to agree to let him run his passenger trains along their line to Adrian and Blissfield. Something else I really can't see happening.

I'm not even going to bring up the cost of restoring the line to FRA standards, nor redoing the signal system at Raisin Center and Lenawee Junction.
They're going to relay the track from Clinton-Manchester-PIttsfield Jct to allow a seemless connection to the Ann Arbor-Traverse City train.

Eric Berger
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Eric Berger »

AARR wrote:
Sat Apr 23, 2022 7:48 am
Wacker Chemical between the old diamond and Tecumseh seems like they could become a legitimate customer if rail service was restored
I've been racking my brain here, but the older I get, the harder it becomes to remember things.

That being said, it seems to me as if Wacker may have been a customer before rail service was terminated. From the memory of that fall color tour I took from Tecumseh to Raisin Center around the turn of the century, I seem to remember seeing a switch there, and the spur abruptly ending at the gate going into the property.

There are a couple of places I could possibly see being customers IF service were to be restored. In addition to Wacker, I could also possibly see HMI Hardwoods, and maybe even the pallet place in Clinton, as customers. Possibly even the packaging place in Tecumseh.

Would the revenue generated from these make it worth restoring rail service to Clinton? Most likely, that would be a resounding NO. But, it's fun to dream, isn't it! :D
"From a really tall tower, in the middle of a really big field..."

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Eric Berger wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 5:19 pm
There are a couple of places I could possibly see being customers IF service were to be restored. In addition to Wacker, I could also possibly see HMI Hardwoods, and maybe even the pallet place in Clinton, as customers. Possibly even the packaging place in Tecumseh.
Oddly enough all three are customers on my paper railroad, Toledo & Adrian http://railroadfan.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=38607