Question about the CN MT Clemens Sub trains

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
CSXBOY
Railroadfan...fan

Question about the CN MT Clemens Sub trains

Unread post by CSXBOY »

So the last two times I went to Port Huron, I saw a great deal of train traffic on the CN Mt Clemens Sub with 382, 383, 384 and 385. During the early part of the pandemic due to auto business slowing down as the economy went into a recession, CN modified the these symbols to 482, 483, 484 and 485. Now with business being back, what does CN call them now? Is it 382, 383, 384 and 385 until they get to and from Sarnia and the carloads get put onto new train to head to and from Michigan? Could someone please explain how CN does this once the CN Mt Clemens sub trains head into Canada?

Thanks

Man o' War
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Question about the CN MT Clemens Sub trains

Unread post by Man o' War »

CSXBOY wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 3:16 pm
So the last two times I went to Port Huron, I saw a great deal of train traffic on the CN Mt Clemens Sub with 382, 383, 384 and 385. During the early part of the pandemic due to auto business slowing down as the economy went into a recession, CN modified the these symbols to 482, 483, 484 and 485. Now with business being back, what does CN call them now? Is it 382, 383, 384 and 385 until they get to and from Sarnia and the carloads get put onto new train to head to and from Michigan? Could someone please explain how CN does this once the CN Mt Clemens sub trains head into Canada?

Thanks
A conductor on the MTC local told me that they have all reverted to the "M" series again, and was fairly certain that they travel Toronto/Southeast Michigan (Toledo) and return - all daily trains.

Man o' War

LansingRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Question about the CN MT Clemens Sub trains

Unread post by LansingRailFan »

Man o' War wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2022 7:36 pm
CSXBOY wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 3:16 pm

Thanks
A conductor on the MTC local told me that they have all reverted to the "M" series again, and was fairly certain that they travel Toronto/Southeast Michigan (Toledo) and return - all daily trains.

Man o' War
Did some research because someone PM'd me about it:

M38261 Lang Yard - Toledo, OH MacMillan Yard - Toronto, ON
M38331 MacMillan Yard - Toronto, ON Lang Yard - Toledo, OH
M38461 Flat Rock, MI MacMillan Yard - Toronto, ON
M38531 Sarnia, ON Flat Rock, MI

There isn't enough traffic for M385 to start in Toronto, yet, so it is still starting in Sarnia. Not sure of the reasoning for the changes outside of possibly alleviating some stress on Sarnia, which tends to be a choke point.

If someone could edit the Wiki that would be great. The A48# symbols that correspond with these ones can be deleted or marked inactive or something.