Problems with a CSX Crossing in Holland.

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Jochs
Iron Horse Whisperer

Problems with a CSX Crossing in Holland.

Unread post by Jochs »

Jeff O.
Celebrating 11 years dial-up free!

(18:36:45) MagnumForce: Railfanning is way more fun when you stop caring about locomotives and signals
(19:11:29) cbehr91: I can't believe I'm +1ing Brent but +1

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Re: Problems with a CSX Crossing in Holland.

Unread post by SD80MAC »

The Hamilton branch crossing at US 31.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

GRHC
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GRHC »

I’ve crossed this grade crossing either driving or riding as a passenger 25,000 + times in my life I never had a problem with it

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Unread post by DaveO »

Bad enough that MDOT made note of it to CSX.
Bad enough for a really big splinter to hit the bottom of the car and cause damage.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

I've often "gone to the right" while crossing the tracks there to hit the parts of the crossing that are a little less worn. Not surprised at all that it's breaking apart so easily now.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

EWRice
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by EWRice »

The crossing is getting rough, but it is no worse than US31 in the same area.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

EWRice wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:08 pm
The crossing is getting rough, but it is no worse than US31 in the same area.
They are finally redoing the portion of road south of there past by Family fare leading up to the 196 interchange... god that was a rough patch of road. Most likely original.

That being said that US-31 crossing is not even remotely close to bad. Sure there might be a bad spot but there are worse crossings to hit. Hall on the East Side of Grand Rapids is easily worse.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

MQT1223 wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:23 pm

That being said that US-31 crossing is not even remotely close to bad. Sure there might be a bad spot but there are worse crossings to hit. Hall on the East Side of Grand Rapids is easily worse.
Are people hitting the Hall St. crossing at 50-60mph? That would make a difference.
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

kd_1014
Mike

Unread post by kd_1014 »

Godfrey crossing is probably the worst in GR currently.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

J T wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 1:18 pm
MQT1223 wrote:

Are people hitting the Hall St. crossing at 50-60mph? That would make a difference.
No, but an automobile handles bumps differently at high speed versus a slow speed.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

MQT1223 wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:38 pm
J T wrote:
MQT1223 wrote:

No, but an automobile handles bumps differently at high speed versus a slow speed.
You missed my point.

Talk
Keeps Talking

Unread post by Talk »

J T wrote:
Not to brag, but I hit it at 62
Ironically bad at Small Talk :(

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

Ya right... So the van causes an 8' long timber to "hurtle through the air" and "fly "under the car. It was 8' long and they hit it square on with both tires. How then did the 8' timber get up between the tires to strike the skid plate and oil pan? What is the yellow stuff stuck to the bottom of the car?

redcrumbox
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by redcrumbox »

So the owner of the civic was not present when the ‘huge piece of wood’ ripped through a piece of plastic disguised as a skidplate. Then a friend of the complainers boyfriend admits the driver failed to keep an assured clear distance between the civic and the van. Have I got it correct?
Old EMD’s are the gift that keeps on giving.

Dowagiac Train Dude
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Dowagiac Train Dude »

CSX is going to pay her $1000 deductible and is giving her another $500 for the inconvenience.

https://www.woodtv.com/news/target-8/ta ... ecked-car/

GRHC
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GRHC »

Update on the grade crossing as of 5/5/22.The crossing has not been repaired and is still in very rough shape. However there are two large piles of ties along with other materials stacked next to the crossing. By the looks of it a major rebuild is planned.

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

Reconstruction of the crossing to start momentarily:

https://whtc.com/2022/08/27/another-str ... n-holland/

GRHC
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GRHC »

As of 08/29/2022 work on the grade crossing has begun. North and Southbound lanes of US 31 are closed.

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

In the subject of Holland crossing work, starting Monday the Lakewood Drive crossing of the Fremont Subdivionnbeside the Wesco will be closed for complete replacement. A pre-built track segment is already constructed to the south of the road,m. The crossing is really rough; curved track and curved pavement lead to a lot of extra forces at work. Two pieces of track equipment are tucked into the Ottawa Beach spur lead to assist. Not sure how this will impact coal moves, csx local service or the MSRR interchange job.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

GP30M4216 wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 11:27 pm
In the subject of Holland crossing work, starting Monday the Lakewood Drive crossing of the Fremont Subdivionnbeside the Wesco will be closed for complete replacement. A pre-built track segment is already constructed to the south of the road,m. The crossing is really rough; curved track and curved pavement lead to a lot of extra forces at work. Two pieces of track equipment are tucked into the Ottawa Beach spur lead to assist. Not sure how this will impact coal moves, csx local service or the MSRR interchange job.
Thank god... that crossing is garbage.