LSRC to Welcome Long-Term Strategic Investment

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
GTW Dude
Railroadfan...fan

LSRC to Welcome Long-Term Strategic Investment

Unread post by GTW Dude »

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Re: LSRC to Welcome Long-Term Strategic Investment

Unread post by DaveO »

The article actually said very little.
Like why LSRC needs their money for starters.
And what LSRC is giving up for that money.

edit:
I don't think LSRC needs the money to support the current operations.
Is LSRC looking to land some bigger fish?

David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

Unread post by David Collins »

DaveO wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 6:18 am
I think every railroad is trying to do that regardless given the times we’re in :lol:

but hasn’t there been speculation that if CSX were to give up any more of it’s lines in the state (I.e. the PH&D) that LSRC would get first rights refusal because they’ve bought a few lines from CSX before?
Ferris State University’s Train Guy

Youtube: Michigan Railfan Films

Flickr: David R. Collins

SC: daveeed1k

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

LSRC will have the opportunity to bid on the lines as will other companies/investors. It is mostly about who puts in the highest bid.
David Collins wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 7:23 am
But hasn’t there been speculation that if CSX were to give up any more of it’s lines in the state (I.e. the PH&D) that LSRC would get first rights refusal because they’ve bought a few lines from CSX before?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Steve B
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Steve B »

The "article" is uninformative because it's just an empty corporate press release. It doesn't even say how much of a stake Antin bought.

Paris-based Antin has its fingers in a lot of stuff, everything from railroads to water and oil pipelines to fiber optics. It just had its IPO in September.

LansingRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by LansingRailFan »

David Collins wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 7:23 am
DaveO wrote:
I think every railroad is trying to do that regardless given the times we’re in :lol:

but hasn’t there been speculation that if CSX were to give up any more of it’s lines in the state (I.e. the PH&D) that LSRC would get first rights refusal because they’ve bought a few lines from CSX before?
CN’s trackage rights contract with CSX running over the Flint Sub to access the PH&D is non-transferable if CSX was to sell the line. Additionally, LSRC would not gain rights to run over the CN yard to go from their paper mill spur to the Marysville branch. They would have to have power on each line and interchange all cars with CN.

Therefore, I don’t see CSX getting much value from a potential sale of the PH&D branch.

1TrackMind
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by 1TrackMind »

LansingRailFan wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:27 am

CN’s trackage rights contract with CSX running over the Flint Sub to access the PH&D is non-transferable if CSX was to sell the line. Additionally, LSRC would not gain rights to run over the CN yard to go from their paper mill spur to the Marysville branch. They would have to have power on each line and interchange all cars with CN.

Therefore, I don’t see CSX getting much value from a potential sale of the PH&D branch.
You know new agreements can be made right?

LansingRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by LansingRailFan »

1TrackMind wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 2:06 pm
LansingRailFan wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:27 am

You know new agreements can be made right?
Yes, new agreements can be negotiated. Thank you.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

DaveO wrote:
The article actually said very little.
Like why LSRC needs their money for starters.
And what LSRC is giving up for that money.

edit:
I don't think LSRC needs the money to support the current operations.
It’s almost certainly not to make them cash-flow positive but to make more capital available now for enhancements and improvements they need/want to make with the goal of greater returns later.

Think things like infrastructure and mechanical upgrades, such as finishing CWR and tie renewal on the Huron Sub, making more of the railroad accepting to 286k cars, investing in more company-owned rolling stock, etc. All of this needs capital and it’s likely that the LSRC sought investors rather than loans, with is typically preferable if you can convince investors to buy-in.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

Unread post by David Collins »

Rickoff said. “We look forward to working with Antin to grow our customer base and expand our rail network.”

Could this be foreshadowing another take over of a Class 1 line?
Ferris State University’s Train Guy

Youtube: Michigan Railfan Films

Flickr: David R. Collins

SC: daveeed1k

GP-35
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GP-35 »

Sounds like a firm that is going to bleed another company dry!! Why would Lakes States sell out when there doing so well by themselves? It dosent make $s & cents to me.

1TrackMind
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by 1TrackMind »

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

GP-35 wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 2:37 pm
Sounds like a firm that is going to bleed another company dry!! Why would Lakes States sell out when there doing so well by themselves? It dosent make $s & cents to me.
Gotta have $$$ to grow!
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

If the new owners do not take care of their customers, they will lose them. LSRC picked up new business by creatively solving unique problems for their customers. Large short line/investment companies are less flexible and usually run the old railroad way...my way or the highway.
SD80MAC wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 2:44 pm
GP-35 wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 2:37 pm
Gotta have $$$ to grow!
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Steve B
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Steve B »

We still don't know how much of a stake Antin bought. The Railfan article saying it was "sold" may merely be a careless misinterpretation of the press release. It seems that if Lake State was sold in its entirety, the companies would have said that and not simply called it an "investment" and being "partners."

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Unread post by DaveO »

If a sale/change of control, a filing would need to be made with the Surface Transportation Board.
As of now, there is none.

Steve B
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Steve B »

DaveO wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:17 am
If a sale/change of control, a filing would need to be made with the Surface Transportation Board.
As of now, there is none.
That does seem to be the case, regardless of whether approval is rubber-stamped or not.

The STB's Performance and Accountability Report Fiscal Year 2021 says:

"Board approval is required for a non-carrier...to acquire or operate an existing line of railroad...Non-carriers...may seek exemptions under certain conditions, and there are expedited procedures for obtaining Board authorization under several class exemptions for certain types of transactions that generally require minimal scrutiny...Non-carriers may acquire rail lines under a class exemption. Required notifications, together with the Board's ability to revoke class exemptions in certain transactions, prevent exemption misuse."

penn central
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by penn central »

I looked on Wikipedia and i read that Antin is based in Paris France with offices in London England and Luxembourg witch is a country near Germany and France.
Last edited by penn central on Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

David Collins wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 2:20 pm
Rickoff said. “We look forward to working with Antin to grow our customer base and expand our rail network.”

Could this be foreshadowing another take over of a Class 1 line?
Who knows what's happening behind closed doors... It's been a fun last couple years watching Lake State expand its reach and service.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)