Meet in Brighton

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Meet in Brighton

Unread post by chapmaja »

Today, after working a swim meet in Brighton, I had to run into town. This took me across the CSX mainline and siding just east of the east end of the siding. I noticed a green signal indication for an EB on the main, and a flashing EOT in the distance to the west of the crossing. After running to the bank I headed towards Mt. Brighton. On the siding was a CSX train with the headlight on. They had a red signal indication to move out of the siding to the single track. I headed to Bauer road and noticed that an EB had a green indication down the mainline.

Hope often does CSX now have meets in Brighton, or anywhere else between GR and Plymouth anymore. I don't recall a meet in several years there. I've seen trains tied down in the siding, but never a true meet.

I did not see this either, as I have a paper I should be writing for school right now, so I had to get home.

LansingRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Meet in Brighton

Unread post by LansingRailFan »

chapmaja wrote:
Sun Mar 06, 2022 6:47 pm
Today, after working a swim meet in Brighton, I had to run into town. This took me across the CSX mainline and siding just east of the east end of the siding. I noticed a green signal indication for an EB on the main, and a flashing EOT in the distance to the west of the crossing. After running to the bank I headed towards Mt. Brighton. On the siding was a CSX train with the headlight on. They had a red signal indication to move out of the siding to the single track. I headed to Bauer road and noticed that an EB had a green indication down the mainline.

Hope often does CSX now have meets in Brighton, or anywhere else between GR and Plymouth anymore. I don't recall a meet in several years there. I've seen trains tied down in the siding, but never a true meet.

I did not see this either, as I have a paper I should be writing for school right now, so I had to get home.
There’s multiple meets daily somewhere on the Plymouth Sub. I don’t see why this is such a big deal?

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Chapmaja, if you don't read the csx train location updates, here's the csx thread that shows the trains that were there today: viewtopic.php?p=485064#p485064
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

L303 and L302, as well as the locals, have meets on the Plymouth Sub every day, just not usually in Brighton.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

I was just surprised because I don't see many trains in Brighton anymore (likely just due to timing of when I'm there), but it's really rare to see two of them coming through town at the same time. I've been more likely over the last few years to see the GLC waiting for CSX to come through AnnPere than I have to see two CSX trains in Brighton.

LansingRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

chapmaja wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:20 am
I was just surprised because I don't see many trains in Brighton anymore (likely just due to timing of when I'm there), but it's really rare to see two of them coming through town at the same time. I've been more likely over the last few years to see the GLC waiting for CSX to come through AnnPere than I have to see two CSX trains in Brighton.
OK - last couple of weeks theyve been doing meets in S Lyon it seems like.

old D708 uses Brighton to run around its train a lot too. there's plenty enough action on the Plymouth sub, especially as the grain's moving. There's probably about 6-8 more grain trains left before Newaygo, Grand Ledge and Webberville are more or less emptied out.

amessmann
Signal Maintainer

Unread post by amessmann »

chapmaja wrote:
Today, after working a swim meet in Brighton, I had to run into town. This took me across the CSX mainline and siding just east of the east end of the siding.
Ah the memories of chasing trains after swimming at BHS.
I felt like I should add my two cents, it seems like on the eastern half of the Plymouth Sub meets usually take place in Fowlerville where L305 (used to be D708 [the Ensel-east local]) meets either L302 or L303 (the west and eastbound Detroit-Lansing-Grand Rapids runs) as L305 is leaving Ensel to do their work.
L305 will sometimes run around their train in Brighton, and rarely, L305 will have to take its entire train into the siding when a meet is needed.

As of recently, South Lyon has seen a lot of meets, as well as one taking place in Howell the other day. Typically it seems like L302 and L303 meet at Ensel or west of there.

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

amessmann wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 3:09 pm
chapmaja wrote:
Today, after working a swim meet in Brighton, I had to run into town. This took me across the CSX mainline and siding just east of the east end of the siding.
Ah the memories of chasing trains after swimming at BHS.
I felt like I should add my two cents, it seems like on the eastern half of the Plymouth Sub meets usually take place in Fowlerville where L305 (used to be D708 [the Ensel-east local]) meets either L302 or L303 (the west and eastbound Detroit-Lansing-Grand Rapids runs) as L305 is leaving Ensel to do their work.
L305 will sometimes run around their train in Brighton, and rarely, L305 will have to take its entire train into the siding when a meet is needed.

As of recently, South Lyon has seen a lot of meets, as well as one taking place in Howell the other day. Typically it seems like L302 and L303 meet at Ensel or west of there.
How far east does L305 run regularly? Is it still normally only as far as the GLC interchange on a regular basis? Do they handle the traffic to and from Peaker as well? (And is there anything else getting service in the area near Peaker anymore?)

amessmann
Signal Maintainer

Unread post by amessmann »

chapmaja wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 12:01 am
How far east does L305 run regularly? Is it still normally only as far as the GLC interchange on a regular basis? Do they handle the traffic to and from Peaker as well? (And is there anything else getting service in the area near Peaker anymore?)
L305 will typically run as far east as the GLC interchange at Ann Pere (just east of Howell). Probably a quarter of the time they will drop their cars on the main at Howell, pick up the GLC cut in the siding, then take that east to Brighton and run around. I believe there are two industries east of Brighton, Foretech and Peaker, who occasionally are serviced by L305, other than that there are no industries serviced by the railroad between Howell and South Lyon. They run around in South Lyon when servicing the industries there.

When they run around, they typically drop the cars on the main and use the siding to run around, instead of pulling into the siding and running around on the main. I've also seen them run around at the Thai Summit run around (just west of Howell, can be seen from McPherson Park Dr.) and push their GLC cut into the interchange track. See this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSuEdZ5gbl0 from when L305 was called D708.

What I said should cover most of L305's operations, however every time I catch them they do something differently, for example sandwiching the power between the GLC cut and theirs to switch out the cars in the Howell siding, or dropping all cars at Howell to take an engine to Peaker, or like I said earlier, pushing their cars thru town into the interchange. If anyone has more info, feel free to add!

DriverJon
South Lyon Boys

Unread post by DriverJon »

chapmaja wrote:

You aren’t the only one, trains do seem to be meeting a lot more often between MP CH50 and 20 roughly. In South Lyon, where I’m from, we seem to get a meet about every week between L302 and L303, a significant increase from about one meet every three months. It may have something to do with the new symbols and more PSR-focused trains on the Plymouth sub. Do keep in mind that this is just my idea, I have no other evidence.

LansingRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

DriverJon wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:34 am
chapmaja wrote:

You aren’t the only one, trains do seem to be meeting a lot more often between MP CH50 and 20 roughly. In South Lyon, where I’m from, we seem to get a meet about every week between L302 and L303, a significant increase from about one meet every three months. It may have something to do with the new symbols and more PSR-focused trains on the Plymouth sub. Do keep in mind that this is just my idea, I have no other evidence.
There have been no changes due to the magic PSR. The new symbols for the same trains as we had before have also not altered life as we know it.

Meets have been happening in this area due to the start times of the EB and WB trains and where the dispatchers decide to have the trains meet, that's it.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

LansingRailFan wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:55 am
chapmaja wrote:

old D708 uses Brighton to run around its train a lot too. there's plenty enough action on the Plymouth sub, especially as the grain's moving. There's probably about 6-8 more grain trains left before Newaygo, Grand Ledge and Webberville are more or less emptied out.
Emptied out?
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

Jetlink
Not a Railfan

Unread post by Jetlink »

MQT1223 wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 5:31 pm
LansingRailFan wrote:
chapmaja wrote:

Emptied out?
Yeah, emptied out. The elevators fill up in the fall during harvest. Mostly October/November. They then ship out to end users and ports (called terminal elevators). The goal is to be empty again by next harvest season. Sometimes they carry over but usually the goal is not. Long commodity futures discussion could be had but that is the short version.
interested in trains

Patiently waiting for LansingRailfan to antagonize me in his tagline

LansingRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

MQT1223 wrote:
LansingRailFan wrote:
chapmaja wrote:

Emptied out?
Yah. Webberville has a train at Trowbridge waiting for the potash cars delivered for The Anderson's to be pulled. They maybe have another train after that and they will be done for awhile.

Grand Ledge maybe has 1-2 more possibly.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

LansingRailFan wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:14 am
MQT1223 wrote:
LansingRailFan wrote:

Emptied out?
Yah. Webberville has a train at Trowbridge waiting for the potash cars delivered for The Anderson's to be pulled. They maybe have another train after that and they will be done for awhile.

You are just talking for the season then?
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

LansingRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

MQT1223 wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 2:49 pm
LansingRailFan wrote:
MQT1223 wrote:

Emptied out?

yes. then farmers will grow more stuff and sell it to the elevators. they will then sell it to chicken farmers etc...

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

LansingRailFan wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 3:15 pm
MQT1223 wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 2:49 pm
LansingRailFan wrote:

yes. then farmers will grow more stuff and sell it to the elevators. they will then sell it to chicken farmers etc...
Ok. My brain initially registered that as they were closing permanently... but yes I understand.